• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kingsville or Corpus ??

Sub King

What's up?.....I recently selected E2C2's and wanted to see if I could get some input from some of you guys that have family and are currently in the E2C2 pipeline. I'm trying to figure out if the drive from Kingsville to Corpus is bad enough where I need to move my family to Corpus first and then again to Kingsville once I'm done. I could rent a house in Bishop or SW Corpus, but I'm trying to keep my family on base housing so my wife has similar families to hang around with. What say you??

Would Kingsville allow me to live Corpus the whole time or vice versa? I've also heard there's more to do in Corpus vice Kingsville, is that true? Thanks in advance.

MasterBates

More to do in Corpus.

Base housing is too far to commute either way(56 miles one way, I just rode it Friday).

Krock is about 25,000 people. More oil field workers and ranch hands, vice whatever it is people do for work in Corpus.

There is a SMALL mall, a couple strip malls, a Super Wal-Mart and HEB. Chili's is the pinnacle of fine dining, unless there is some really nice place I have not found.

I like Krock over Corpus, but I live in Corpus and will move (easy for me) back to Krock when my time at -31 is done. The commute just plain blows donkey dick, and with a 0445 brief, has you getting up at some ungodly hour and you will be a zombie when you roll in.

I would encourage your wife to meet people who are NOT in the military. Meet through church, work, gym, whatever.

I have seen many spouses (NO, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MY EX) who seem almost afraid to interact with civilians in the area. When all your spouses friends spouses work with you, its like you never get away from work. And, if you go to a small base, with out 1000 military spouses, they get "culture shock". Just an observation I have seen in a lot of military families.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I have seen many spouses (NO, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MY EX) who seem almost afraid to interact with civilians in the area.

This is south Texas...there is a reason for that.:D
hicks.jpg

Back when I selected...I had a hunch I might be in the same boat you are in. I wanted to live in SW Corpus and commute to avoid moving the family. FWIW, I asked several people in Krock if they would allow it and the answer was a resounding no. This was three months ago. I explained that I would own a home and they said "Too bad, sell it."

You may very well not have a choice.