• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kindle Versus Nook

Ralph

The only thing I don't like is how much you end up spending on books. Wish the library had more options.

Rubiks06

pilot
I have the nook and its great. The PDF viewer works pretty well for NATOPS and other pubs. Books are cheap and you can also download books from Google books for free. Lots of stuff and they just added a couple of games. More to come i guess. Battery life is pretty good with the wifi off. Two Thumbs up from me.

D

Deleted member 24525

Three reasons to choose NOOK over Kindle:

1. WIFI option. Both the Kindle and the NOOK allow you to download books for free over the 3G network. Only the Nook, however, allows you to connect to a WIFI hotspot. For the Naval Aviator stationed overseas, this is great since there is no 3g in say..Afghanistan. It also has a built in web browser that you can use when connected to WIFI only. PLUS you connect FREE to any ATT&T WIFI Hotspot.

2. Lend me a book feature. If you have any of the Barnes and Nobles reader apps (iPhone, PC) I can lend you a book for up to 2 weeks...Can't do that on the Kindle. This is still limited to certain titles.

3. E-Pub format allows you to read books on your Nook that you have downloaded FREE from your library. Sites such as www.overdrive.com link to your public library and allow you to check out E-books for about 3 weeks at at a time... as far as I am aware, the only books you can read on a Kindle are Kindle books (but I may be mistaken).

4....okay I said three reasons: but there are several Amazon Kindle titles that cost 3/4$ more than the same E-book on Barnes and Nobles website

Bottom line...the WIFI is what sold it for me. I am overseas so the Kindle would have been useless for me...I would have had to take my computer to a Wifi hotspot, download the books I want and then synch up the Kindle to the computer...cannot express how AWESOME the WIFI feature is. I bought the 3G/WIFI version (200$) not the 150$ WIFI only version.

Also do NOT let the fact that you have purchases Kindle books for your PC or iPhone determine which device to buy. You BOUGHT those books you should be able to read them on any device you choose. I had about a dozen Kindle titles for my iPhone and converted them for use on my Nook. They are books that I paid for and should be able to read them on any device I choose.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Three reasons to choose NOOK over Kindle:

1. WIFI option. Both the Kindle and the NOOK allow you to download books for free over the 3G network. Only the Nook, however, allows you to connect to a WIFI hotspot. For the Naval Aviator stationed overseas, this is great since there is no 3g in say..Afghanistan. It also has a built in web browser that you can use when connected to WIFI only. PLUS you connect FREE to any ATT&T WIFI Hotspot.

2. Lend me a book feature. If you have any of the Barnes and Nobles reader apps (iPhone, PC) I can lend you a book for up to 2 weeks...Can't do that on the Kindle. This is still limited to certain titles.

3. E-Pub format allows you to read books on your Nook that you have downloaded FREE from your library. Sites such as www.overdrive.com link to your public library and allow you to check out E-books for about 3 weeks at at a time... as far as I am aware, the only books you can read on a Kindle are Kindle books (but I may be mistaken).

4....okay I said three reasons: but there are several Amazon Kindle titles that cost 3/4$ more than the same E-book on Barnes and Nobles website

Bottom line...the WIFI is what sold it for me. I am overseas so the Kindle would have been useless for me...I would have had to take my computer to a Wifi hotspot, download the books I want and then synch up the Kindle to the computer...cannot express how AWESOME the WIFI feature is. I bought the 3G/WIFI version (200$) not the 150$ WIFI only version.

Also do NOT let the fact that you have purchases Kindle books for your PC or iPhone determine which device to buy. You BOUGHT those books you should be able to read them on any device you choose. I had about a dozen Kindle titles for my iPhone and converted them for use on my Nook. They are books that I paid for and should be able to read them on any device I choose.

Points 1 and 3 are wrong. You can connect to wifi with a Kindle and you can read any normal document (.pdf, word, etc) on it.

Pick either one and you won't be upset.

D

Deleted member 24525

No it doesn't. It only has 3G which is why I went with the nook...plus you can't beat the price. 200 bucks for the WIFI/3G nook that has the same capabilities as the 380 dollar Kindle DX. PLUS and expansion slot and you can change your own battery.

(if you doubt, do a google search for kindle WIFI)

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
No it doesn't. It only has 3G which is why I went with the nook...plus you can't beat the price. 200 bucks for the WIFI/3G nook that has the same capabilities as the 380 dollar Kindle DX. PLUS and expansion slot and you can change your own battery.

(if you doubt, do a google search for kindle WIFI)

Wrong. I own one and I can turn it on and connect to any free wifi. I know this because my kindle says so in the owners manual (on the kindle). There is a different signal listed whether or not you are on a 3G network or normal wireless.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I looked at them both and went with the Nook. Since I've tried my sister-in-law's Kindle and we both agree the Nook is better.

BTW, I get a lot faster download speed on the Nook using its 3G than its WiFi.

Lucy

So to bring up a slightly older thread,

Anyone have views on the nook versus the nook color? I am trying to decide between the two.

Thanks all.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My wife and I both have our own kindle and they are both WiFi and 3G.

My Kindkle was $189 with wifi /3G from Amazon.com.

We like them a whole bunch.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have the b&W nook. I went to buy my daughter a Nook for Christmas and asked the sales lady the same question. She said she took the color one she bought back and got a b&w one. The color was harder on the eyes when reading, no 3G and had a crappy battery life.

SH-60OB

pilot
Can't seem to get a straight answer. Are the PDF readers in Kindle and Nook able to search like adobe? Thanks. OB

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll check....yes they are in the Kindle.

I uploaded a few MerCruiser maintenance manuals for my boat and the search function worked on them. They are in native pdf format, not an image pdf file.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
^^ To add into that, yes you can put your NATOPS on a Kindle. Kinda hard to read and I would suggest it for straight reading, but to look up something up quickly, it's nice to have a tiny kindle then the massive blue bomb.

BigRed389

None
So to bring up a slightly older thread,

Anyone have views on the nook versus the nook color? I am trying to decide between the two.

Thanks all.

I got the color as a gift, and due to the criticisms I read about it, thought about taking it back. Gave it a shot first, and quickly changed my mind.

Screen being tougher on eyes will prob depend on the person, and to balance it out, you can clearly read it in the dark.

Color gives better accessibility to periodicals, which I've actually started reading again for the first time in years.

Lack of 3G and battery life can be legitimate gripes depending on the user's needs...not an issue for me since I already loaded it up with enough stuff to last me months, and I don't expect to be both without access to power and have the opportunity to do some extended reading at the same time.