• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kindle Versus Nook

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Free cell/3G on Kindle is untouchable. I was able to check email/facebook while stuck on an airplane in Bucharest, Romania for 4 hrs. Best deployment widget ever.

phrogpilot73

I've never played with a Nook, but I can give two big thumbs up for the Kindle. My wife and I love ours, and with the new 2.5 software - it's even better... The other thing that I think that Kindle has over the Nook is Whispersync. You can read the same Kindle book on your laptop, iPhone, iPad or Kindle - and it syncs your last page read across all of them.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yep Kindle rocks. I know RHFP will say I stole his idea, but for the flight school studs out there, you can also condense your .pdf FTI's and NATOPS onto it as well for a very light helmet bag.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
The other thing that I think that Kindle has over the Nook is Whispersync. You can read the same Kindle book on your laptop, iPhone, iPad or Kindle - and it syncs your last page read across all of them.

The Nook does that too. The lady trying to sell me a Nook about a week ago said the Kindle didn't do that.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Thanks forthe info so far. Nook has the free 3g if and sync options too. I've been told that there are better/more book selections on the Nook. Don't know if that is true - anyone?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
As an aside, the prices for both the Kindle and Nook just dropped as they're getting killed by the iPad.

My neighbor SNFO has a Nook and likes it, FWIW.

phrogpilot73

Thanks forthe info so far. Nook has the free 3g if and sync options too. I've been told that there are better/more book selections on the Nook. Don't know if that is true - anyone?
According to Amazon's complete list of Kindle books: 623,476 books. According to Barnes & Noble, over 1 Million.

Here's B&N's comparison. The Nook wasn't an option when I bought my Kindle, and now that I have so many Kindle books - I'm not looking back...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I messed around with a Kindle not long ago, I really liked the display... they did a good job there....

But I felt like the interface was total crap. I dont have an iPad, and doubt I will be getting one withing the next year, but I will say the interface for iPad is about 100x better... if I were going to get an eBook reader I would strongly consider Kindle but likely end up on iPad.... for several reasons (interface, capability, commonality with my iPhone)... I will admit I am pretty picky / spoiled when it comes to interfaces though...

phrogpilot73

After messing with the iPad, I realized a couple of things. I would use it for: Electronic Flight Bag, Brew Day (streaming BN Radio while reading a book during the boil, and checking my recipe on the brewing software). For a primary reading implement (in bed, etc...) it's too heavy (in my opinion) to serve that purpose. Even if I do get an iPad - I'll keep my Kindle for that.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Thanks Phrog, I'd already seen that. I went ahead and bought the Nook since it has 14 days to get my money back if I don't like it.

Grizzly

I personally like the Kindle, as it has a superior processor and amazing battery life. While I-pads have a great interface and a lot of utility, reading on a lcd screen for hours would leave me bleeding from the eyes and wanting to dig them out with a rusty spoon.

More importantly electronic readers that utilize the E-ink technology are easy to read and I find that my reading pace is quicker on them.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Thanks Phrog, I'd already seen that. I went ahead and bought the Nook since it has 14 days to get my money back if I don't like it.

The Kindle has a 30 day money back, I believe. At least they did a few month ago. That being said, the Nooks sales rep I talked with basically said that they took the Kindle, Dissected it, and made it better. And from the 10 minutes I fumbled around with the Nook, I think I'd agree. Not too sure about that touch pad on the bottom though. Let us all know what you think of it HAL. I'm probably going to end up with one pretty soon as well.