• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kimber Vs. Springfield. or other?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
In this case ... a belly bag (where it resides most of the time) ... it was laying on the front seat of the promiscuously affluent Escalade ... when the 3 miscreants approached me after "casing" me for a quick score as I was washing the car at a public car washing facility ... :)

There are some "plastic" holsters that fit the pistol well ... paddles, belt slides ... I just haven't tried 'em ...

That sounds interesting. Have you told this story in another thread? Care to elaborate? :)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Fobus makes some nice plastic rigs for XD's. I have a paddle made by them, but I rarely wear it, as Kydex seems to print through concealment so easily when I wear it. But man is that thing fast and smooth on the draw... The holster did, however, require a bit of trial and error before I got the tension screw just right. I usually reserve it for use when I'm not carrying concealed, and here in NC that means I only use it for when I'm working in my buddy's shop or manning the range down the street.

In regards to the story: So that was YOU who sent that story in to the "It Happened to Me" column, A4s?

Lawman

None
Fobus makes some nice plastic rigs for XD's. I have a paddle made by them, but I rarely wear it, as Kydex seems to print through concealment so easily when I wear it. But man is that thing fast and smooth on the draw... The holster did, however, require a bit of trial and error before I got the tension screw just right. I usually reserve it for use when I'm not carrying concealed, and here in NC that means I only use it for when I'm working in my buddy's shop or manning the range down the street.

In regards to the story: So that was YOU who sent that story in to the "It Happened to Me" column, A4s?

Fobus, great for keeping your hands free at the range, pretty lousy for anything else. We had a guy try and use one for a retention class, our instructor basically used that as a lesson in what not to do with a holster. No retention to speak of, prints badly, and my personal favorite if the bad guy just falls/leans on it too hard either the holster breaks completely free of the paddle or the holster its self comes apart and your weapon is now loose.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I used to work at a gun retailer. When comparing Kimber and Springfield theres a couple things to note. As opposed to other makers of the 1911-series, Springfield actually creates the internal parts of their pistols out of a solid block of metal, whereas others typically use molds. The molds make for tough metal on the outside, but softer metals on this inside. Springfield pistols don't have this issue as the parts are manufactured differently. This makes the weapon sturdier and less liable to have interal problems. However, this difference is negligible. Kimber still makes a very good pistol that is extremely reliable.. but if you're into the specs behind the guns the Springfields have it.

For a handcrafted 1911, Lehs Behr makes an extremely "tight" feeling automatic. Each pistol is actually custom made by a single individual.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I used to work at a gun retailer. When comparing Kimber and Springfield theres a couple things to note. As opposed to other makers of the 1911-series, Springfield actually creates the internal parts of their pistols out of a solid block of metal, whereas others typically use molds. The molds make for tough metal on the outside, but softer metals on this inside. Springfield pistols don't have this issue as the parts are manufactured differently. This makes the weapon sturdier and less liable to have interal problems. However, this difference is negligible. Kimber still makes a very good pistol that is extremely reliable.. but if you're into the specs behind the guns the Springfields have it.

For a handcrafted 1911, Lehs Behr makes an extremely "tight" feeling automatic. Each pistol is actually custom made by a single individual.

Kimber machines their 1911's too, they don't use molds. The issues that you're speaking about occur generally with the cheaper manufacturers. Kimber definitely doesn't fall in this category. Their alloy slides are machined from 7075-T7. They've gotta be doing something right if they have contracts with the LAPD SWAT and USMC. I would like to see any "specs behind Springfields v. Kimber" that you think makes them better. Kimber offers alot of options standard that other companies charge extra for. That being said, Springfield makes an excellent 1911 and I wouldn't try to disuade anyone from buying one. I'm just a Kimber fan.

Lehs Behr makes an excellent 1911, but you're gonna pay for it. Wilson's even more so. I'd take a look at the SIG 1911 also. A very solid gun. The fact of the matter is if you get any of the major manufacturers 1911's you can't go wrong.

invertedflyer

Kimber machines their 1911's too, they don't use molds. The issues that you're speaking about occur generally with the cheaper manufacturers. Kimber definitely doesn't fall in this category. Their alloy slides are machined from 7075-T7. They've gotta be doing something right if they have contracts with the LAPD SWAT and USMC. I would like to see any "specs behind Springfields v. Kimber" that you think makes them better. Kimber offers alot of options standard that other companies charge extra for. That being said, Springfield makes an excellent 1911 and I wouldn't try to disuade anyone from buying one. I'm just a Kimber fan.

Lehs Behr makes an excellent 1911, but you're gonna pay for it. Wilson's even more so. I'd take a look at the SIG 1911 also. A very solid gun. The fact of the matter is if you get any of the major manufacturers 1911's you can't go wrong.

Nothing against Kimber... apparently my fellow workers gave me bum scoop ... As far as stats I'd say that they're fairly evenly matched... and you're correct about the goodies on Kimbers, its a pretty nice deal. I'm a big fan of Springfield's whole M1A line, so that makes me a bit partial to them ;)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Nothing against Kimber... apparently my fellow workers gave me bum scoop ... As far as stats I'd say that they're fairly evenly matched... and you're correct about the goodies on Kimbers, its a pretty nice deal. I'm a big fan of Springfield's whole M1A line, so that makes me a bit partial to them ;)

I'll agree with the M1A line. I love that and the fact that Springfield has decided to produce brand new M1 Garands now. The Iwo Jima limited edition is something I'd love to have if I had some $$ laying around.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
...No retention to speak of, prints badly, and my personal favorite if the bad guy just falls/leans on it too hard either the holster breaks completely free of the paddle or the holster its self comes apart and your weapon is now loose.

I just pulled my holster out of the range bag...and chucked it right into the trash can. I'm glad you mentioned that, because the spar (or whatever) that connects the holster portion to the paddle was discolored from being over-stressed. Further inspection revealed that it was already cracking in two places. Hopefully, I would have caught that prior to using it again (I usually do a decent job of checking my gear before I use it), but that probably saved me from a serious safety violation. At the very least, it removed one of the cards stacked against me in the battle to not look like a dumb@ass.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I love my Kimber - but SA makes one hell of a pistol. Check out the new Lighweight Operator (alloy frame). Very nice 1911.

Pitchlock

pilot
I'm a big fan of Springfield's whole M1A line, so that makes me a bit partial to them ;)

I am also becoming a fan of the M1A. I'm seriously thinking of getting either a bush/scout (18" barrel) or the socom (16"). Do you have any thoughts as which is better?

My thinking is that I'm not going to scope it, iron sights all the way. I'm thinking of using it as a short range deer gun (<150yds, most probably 50-75 yds). I'm looking at a scoped savage for longer range stands.

I really like the socoms feel and looks (not the socom II with all the rails). I figure is a good med range weapon for self defense as well. Not likely that will ever happen, but I figure I only have another 2 years to build up my armory before the dems get complete control.

invertedflyer

^^ I'm a big fan of the SOCOM, and if it has a better feel to you then thats what I'd go with. The performance between the two is going to be fairly identical. Both of these weapons have adjusted twist rates for their barrell length, so that means whiskers off a prarie dog at 800 yards ;) But yeah that'd definitely git'r done for a short range deer rifle if you wanted to keep it open sights... but you always have the option of optics if you want to reach out further with it so its a good buy all around IMO.

For longer range, I'd recommend looking closely at Remington's 700 line... extremely reliable weapon. Savage isn't a "bad" weapon... the 110FP is fairly popular.. but for a little more money you can land a Remington that is higher quality and has a smoother action.