• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

keeping currency at TBS

gonad

Just wondering if anyone has or does keep civ. flying currency while at TBS? If so, any flying clubs or FBOs in the area? Is there even time for such?

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
From my experience there, I didn't see a whole lot of time to keep any currency going. I had a friend that was a CFII and I don't think he flew again until after he went to flight school.
As for if there are any FBOs or such. I'm sure there are, I just wouldn't be able to tell you where.

MettGT

pilot
From my experience there, I didn't see a whole lot of time to keep any currency going. I had a friend that was a CFII and I don't think he flew again until after he went to flight school.
As for if there are any FBOs or such. I'm sure there are, I just wouldn't be able to tell you where.

I think the closest FBOs would be at Manassas Regional where Marines do IFS (Dulles Aviation and Manassas Aviation operate out of there). It's about 40min from TBS.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just wondering if anyone has or does keep civ. flying currency while at TBS? If so, any flying clubs or FBOs in the area? Is there even time for such?

Once you get here you won't be worried about keeping currencies...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I think the airport in Stafford probably has rentals. No Marines really know about it probably because its part 61 so it's not a part of the IFS family. The airport is on one of the exits before Fredericksburg or you can go south on US 1.

As far as time management and keeping currency. Eh, you can get a few hours on most weekends if you really want to. The big question is why, though. It wouldn't really be a means to any end other than the $175 hamburger or if your family is within 100 miles. Not that that's bad. It would also work if you're one of those "Im an eagle flying high and my SPC can't stop me" types that hears the Chariots of Fire song every time you're airborne, but that's not me. I stopped flying on my own dime long ago in anticipation of getting hours with Uncle Sam. Now he's pissing me off with this 6 month wait to even start API, but that's another subject.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I'll be there in a couple of more months for a different school, if anyone has any good gouge on where to fly from locally, I'd like to hear it. I've heard Stafford mentioned, any one know more?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
any flying clubs or FBOs in the area?

The was the Quantico Flying Club over at mainside that was a great place to use, but alas:

QUANTICO FLYING CLUB DISSOLVED

As of 15 September 2007, Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS), in conjunction with Marine Corps Base Quantico, closed the Quantico Flying Club. Semper Fidelis

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
You'll have time for it on some weekends later on, but on your TBS salary you'll go broke quickly unless you already have some extra money to spend. I thought about it, but TBS drove me to drinking on the weekends instead.

Check out the airport in Fredericksburg too.

calli080184

My buddy did some research and found a place to rent planes from at Warrington. It is a little airport a little less than 30 minutes from the back gate of TBS. (If you turned right) Also not too far from Warrington is a weekly airshow on Sundays a grass strip with a bunch of barnstormers and stuff like that.