• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Justice of the Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

SNA Meridian
Hello everyone just looking for a little information. Here is the deal. I leave for OCS AUG.2 and my girlfriend graduates from college back here in Denver in December. We are going to get married when I get back and find some leave time. However, we are considering going to a justice of the peace before I leave so that she can get the medical benefits. She is Diabetic and the school insurance is pretty pricey. So I was looking for some advice and information about benefits for spouses and if she would qualify while I am away at OCS. ANy advice would be great!
Thanks
Goose

Drive Fast Take Chances

JenniH

Jennifer
Tricare is the military insurance and it is free for spouses and dependents. She can go to any military medical faciltity and will not have to pay a dime with the Tricare Prime. If she is out of state or not near another med facility, she will need to get a referral to be seen by a civilian doctor and will pay a small copayment. I don't know how difficult that is to get a referral, but probably not too difficult.

A better option would be the Tricare Standard because you can go to any doctor you want. There is a deductible ($150) and they will Tricare pays 80%.

They have a website where you can probably order a booklet about it. www.tricare.osd.mil and there's a toll free number too for the Colorado area 1-888-triwest. If that doesnt work, let me know. I hope this helped some. The website should have more details for you too.

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phillipians 4:7

www.Fly-Navy.com

patbrown08

I would get a second opinion on Tricare Standard. I think Prime is the way to go. Last I heard, they had done away with the co-pay, and even if they didn't it is tax deductible. Standard is only a good deal if you are located near a military hospital that can provide care. And I think we have found Prime to work better in every case so far.

Meridiani

There is still a $12 copay for Tricare Prime. Goose, your fiance shouldn't have a problem finding doctors in the Denver area. The entire network of University of Colorado Health Sciences physicians are Tricare Prime providers. I go to 'em myself, cuz I'm a military dependent.
icon_smile.gif

solenita72

SWO Wife
Okay, guys...I am tricare prime and I see a civilian doctor for everything. There is no co-pay for civilian providers if you are Tricare prime. As far as I understand that is for all regions. Now there may be a co-pay if there are no military clinics in the area, I'm not sure if that is why others have to pay it. I saw military doctors before and got fed up and got referred out of the system. I would definately go tricare prime, and then if you are not satisfied as to be referred out of the system to a civilian, or before you even get that far, ask the first doc she sees to refer her back to her origional doc for "continuity of care". Something else, here in our area in VA, the military is served first, so if you are tricare standard, the active duty and the tricare prime patients get first appts, and with something like diabeties, I would want a doctor that is easily reachable. With standard, you may not get in as quickly, because they consider that you can go to any doctor and pay the fees because that is what you choose to do. I would go Prime deifinately!

Another benefit of marrying, would be that you would get BAH (housing $ that is nontaxable) and family sep pay while you are in OCS. Probably amount to about $900 more a month, since you will be an E-5. Other benefits would be commissary, and exchange, things like that....the BAH and the health benifits are the biggest perks.

By the way...congrats!! We went before the justice of the peace, too, only because we wanted to get all the paperwork done (ie. id's, page two) before we left for the wedding (we stayed gone for about a month) so ours was only a matter of three weeks from getting offically married to the big ceremony. If it works better for you, go for it!

Meridiani

Hmmmm...well, my husband and I do have Tricare Prime, and we have paid a $12 copay at our civilian doc's office for many years (and we've been to several different doctors with the same policy). Not sure why there's a discrepancy between our experiences, solenita. Maybe it's because my husband is retired military (no, he's not a sugar daddy, he was medically retired, LOL)?

solenita72

SWO Wife
You know that might be the difference there...maybe retire military have a different type of tricare? We have been married 3 and a half years now and we, (my daughter and I) have been tricare prime all along and have never paid co-pays...I thought they did away with it right before we got married...only with prescriptions, $9 name brand, $3 generic.

Meridiani

Well, I sure hope that it's because of my husband's retired status. I'd hate to think that our doctors have been screwing us over! I may have to check in to this...

JenniH

Jennifer
Yes Goose, definitely go Prime if you can. And if she is staying back in Denver you will also get a family separation allowance of around $100 month in addition to your BAH (housing) pay.

Meridiani

Jenni, can you qualify for the separation allowance even if you haven't had a permanent change of station? I know my husband and I won't be able to get PCS moving benefits until after I'm finished with OCS and API. They pay for separation at that point?

solenita72

SWO Wife
We got Family Sep pay when John was TAD to OCS. I stayed here in Norfolk. I think that is just in place when a service member is seperated from the family and permanent duty station longer than 30 days.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The $12 copay is because of the retirement status. The benefits are different for active vs retired.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.