• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just selected, and got....

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
For anyone who has recently completed advanced props, or is even in it now, I was wondering roughly how long it is taking to get through. I know it varies, but just a rough estimate. Anyone??

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
The syllabus itself isn't that long- 7 months or so from the start of ground school to wings, but right now there's a wait to start.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Started in august, winged Jan 30th but I was done flying before the first of the year.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Started end of June, winged mid-Dec, syllabus complete a month or so before that. Pretty standard, from what I've seen, although every class seems to have that 1 guy who takes it right down to the wire. . .

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Thanks guys. Yeah I have almost a 3 month wait to start. I'll be getting my orders in a few days and then I'll know for sure.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It takes about 5-6 months, but you'll finish a month before you wing. The extra time is for the AF guys to do their low levels and tac forms. Enjoy the month long vacation.

jugg34naut

pilot
Just selected P3/P8. Any new gouge on when Whidbey is doing the transition? Word is Jax is almost done. Are they going right into transitions over there. Also does anybody know how they are determining the guys going P3 vs guys going P8? It seems that no matter what we'll all end up in the same plane. Just looking around and getting excited for advanced.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Also does anybody know how they are determining the guys going P3 vs guys going P8? It seems that no matter what we'll all end up in the same plane. Just looking around and getting excited for advanced.
Number of slots vary weekly. We had three guys from each squadron select P-8's, but the class before ours was a straight P-3 draft. Timing, timing, timing. Beyond that, some form of combo between NSS and your dream sheet. If they have an EP-3 slot and you're the only one in your class who wants EP-3's, guess what, you're probably going EP-3's. When everyone puts P-8's for their first choice and there aren't enough slots for everyone, that's when they look at your grades.

jugg34naut

pilot
That's what I figured. P8 guy I talked to yesterday said he thought it was leaning toward quality spread now that they don't have to be particular.
Vt-10's Skipper said last week at the fleet fly in that the EP-3 was just going to go away. Are the capabilities of the EP-3 wrapped up in the P8? Or do the stars have something else in mind? That mission, the little they could talk about, really intrigued me.
As far as the P8 is concerned, the pilots at the fleet fly in said they are fighting the P8 in a brand new way and there are a lot of changes coming which is expected, as well as changes in mentality and culture. My question, is it for the better or worse?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Vt-10's Skipper said last week at the fleet fly in that the EP-3 was just going to go away. Are the capabilities of the EP-3 wrapped up in the P8? Or do the stars have something else in mind? That mission, the little they could talk about, really intrigued me.

The EP-3 sundown is supposed to be in 2019 so not too long away now. They say the MQ-4 Triton will take over some of the mission and the P-8 may take some as well but it won't be their focus.