• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just had PRK

MNU-OCS

I had PRK done yesterday. I am writing this to give my personal experience with PRK. I had PRK surgery done through TLC. They did an excellent job and were very friendly. I have had NO PAIN at all. I read this forum and was expecting tremendous suffering and so I had taken all proactive measures in order to mitigate the impending pain. But I am fortunate that I have had no pain. This thread is to give hope to those that have not yet had the surgery and to let you know that not everyone has tremendous pain with PRK. It varies per person. My vision is 20/30 and 20/40. I highly recommend getting both eyes done at once for many reasons, they are as follows. There are TONS OF DROPS you have to have and you have to use them all 4 times a day. If you did one eye at a time you would be putting in drops in your eyes for a good 3-4 MONTHS. That is a hassle that can be avoided. Also in the even that you do endure unspeakable pain, it is better to get it all over with at once than to have to deal with it twice in a row. Also by getting both eyes done at once you will avoid having to deal with having one good eye and one bad eye. That is just irritating in my opinion.

I was light sensitive after the surgery but not that bad. The day after i walked outside and it was sunny and i felt fine. Although I decided to go back inside because it is a good idea to avoid UV rays after such a surgery. My vision has fluctuated a lot and everytime I blink, i see differently. That is normal.

Anyways I thought I would share my experience with everyone, good luck for those of you that are getting the surgery. Prepare for the worst, but if it turns out like mine (to which im very lucky) you will be delighted.

(if anything changes and I do experience much pain in the upcoming days, I will let you all know)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
How are you able to sit and type that out a day after getting PRK'ed? I couldn't look at my computer screen for about a week...

Let us know how it goes for you.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
How are you able to sit and type that out a day after getting PRK'ed? I couldn't look at my computer screen for about a week...

Let us know how it goes for you.

HA! I remember being SIQ and being bored as hell so I tried to play online poker, and having to keep moving around because my vision kept changing. I finallt settled in because the cards were big enough to at least make out some outlines. No way I could read a 12 point font though.

Congrats on the whole easy experience thing. Mine was super smooth until about 24 hours after when some of the muscles in my eyes apparently seized up and wouldn't close my irises. Now THAT is sensitivity to light. Fortunately I already had a followup scheduled and it was easily relieved with some drops and 15 minutes of looking at the ceiling in a dark room.

HalfBreed

None
MNU-OCS,

I had the same experience as you did. NO PAIN. The worst it came to was it felt like a grain of sand was in my eyes (for the first 24 hrs) and my eyes refused to open (as an automatic reaction) watering profusely. I had no sensitivity to light, but like you, I wore the sunglasses for the protection. I was watching TV and reading a book in regular light the next day. I never even used the Percocet they gave me and quickly ditched the standard 800mg Motrin.

MNU-OCS

Its midnight here and tommorow will be day 3. Today my vision was worse, but that is to be expected due to the cornea healing. But I found myself getting irritable due to the fact that I was frustrated that I couldnt do much of anything becuase I couldnt read. I have some haze and some halos around lights but its not all that bad. I can still function just fine, however I am still counting my blessings as i have not had severe burning. The first day i took a tylenol w/ codeine so I could sleep and then I have just taken advil liquidgels the rest of the time.

Right now I am thankful that Airwarriors has a big font bc otherwise I couldnt read it. Here is a tip, get an audiobook (I got one from iTunes) and just close your eyes and listen. Ill let you all know how tommorow goes.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
Right now I am thankful that Airwarriors has a big font bc otherwise I couldnt read it.

Most browsers you can hold CTRL and move the mouse-wheel to change the font size. Or Hold CTRL and hit +/- to make it large. (for + you'll need to hold down shift)

MNU-OCS

Thanks, that is very helpful. So this morning my vision is worse. Perhaps I am not out of the woods yet. I had to turn my computer screen brightness down. Still I am not experiencing severe pain, its just i cant see and i can barely see the screen. Ok this is starting to hurt. Im going to stop typing.

MNU-OCS

I had custom PRK done with wavefront technology. So far its worked really well. I have some haze, but my vision is getting noticably better by the day.

AggieFlyer07

Right on for PRK, I've had it as well, the pain came and went in waves. But the drops were annoying. I drove myself to the docs with the surgical lenses in because my vision was so good after the first 5 days. Colors are move vivid, and I can see like a Hawk.

MNU-OCS

I just got back from my 5 day post op. I am seeing 20/30 in both eyes and according to the surgeon, am 98% healed. AggieFlyer, you are absolutely right, colors are way more vivid to me that is something I did not expect to get from the surgery. My eye doesnt feel very good at the moment, but that is because he just took the lens off my eye and the epethelium has to smooth over. I am looking forward to the day when there are no more bad tasting drops. Some of those drops make me want to gag.