• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jury Duty?

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
I opened the mail this afternoon and found a jury summons. I am not entirely sure how to handle this. I was pro-rec'd back in February, passed MEPS and the PRT. My OR said I have also passed the background check and security clearance. I should just be waiting on a final select and class date.

I have never served on a jury before so I don't know how the process works. If I have to spend a day or two in the courthouse I can't see it being a big deal. I know trails can go on for a bit longer than that sometimes though. If jury duty conflicts with my class date, how would that be handled? I don't suppose this would be a valid excuse to give to the judge would it?

I will admit I might be overreacting just a touch, but of all the things to delay OCS...:(

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I seem to recall that my current jury summons (in CA) saying that activey duty military was excused from serving. I'm not sure at what point you are officially considered active duty, but you should be able to work that out, I would think. Husband says he got out of it when he got called, before he was active duty. He wrote a letter explaining that he was expecting to go to the Boat School, and was excused.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
My wife got called up right before we were getting married and she was going to have to report when we were on the honeymoon in the Bahamas. I went down to city hall with her and said she should just trying being honest and tell them she'd be busy. They stamped it something official and were like "you are off the hook". I never thought it'd be that easy but I figure they call up so many people they got extras with lousier excuses.

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
Thanks for the quick advice, I will stop worrying about it. I suspected I could get out of jury duty for OCS but was not sure.

m26

Contributor
I did an internship with my DA's office (Florida). For criminal cases, 4 days is a LONG trial (of course there's NOTHING in my county). Even our murder trials were fairly speedy. 10 calendar days or so.

I can't speak to the whole process, but during every jury selection I sat in on they asked all the prospective jurors about possible conflicts. i.e. "If this trial lasted until Tuesday would you be able come to the courthouse."

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Just show up and see if you are even needed. If you are then during the Q&A just let them know that you will be heading off to OCS on X date.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
You may not even have to tell them you're going on active duty. In some states, you get one deferral.