• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Junk in NATOPS

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Maybe that finally explains why the EMCON got added to SuperHawk. I never understood how Bravos could have managed to fuel for 20+ years (and on a SPY ship, no less) and not blow up without going to EMCON and then all of a sudden they couldn't (and Romeos later). My theory was that some HSL former HT IP came back to the fleet and submitted the change in the name of safety because "that's what they did in the -57 in the pits."

The idea that it crept into SuperHawk from the -46 community makes sense. But I still maintain my guess isn't out of this world.

They did change them in SuperHawk, though how valid they are is up for debate.
The SH-60F had an HF radio...long antenna running down the right side transition section to tail come. That's how EMCON got into Superhawk.

To be fair, we all knew the EMCON refueling was BS (except for HF), and often skipped a step or two.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My experience was that if NATOPS was a phone book you'd memorize the entire thing in case you ever needed to call anyone at a moment's notice. But really all you need to know is 911, 411, Movie Phone, and the pizza place (404-TRA-LALA for the Papa John's closest to MaTech's campus).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The SH-60F had an HF radio...long antenna running down the right side transition section to tail come. That's how EMCON got into Superhawk.

To be fair, we all knew the EMCON refueling was BS (except for HF), and often skipped a step or two.

The Bravo had HF, but no EMCON prior to Superhawk. So you mean HSL was more cowboy than HS? Put that in the log!

A Day In The Life

pilot
Pretty sure I read something in the Hornet NATOPS that said, "Avoid selecting afterburner when you're dumping fuel to avoid setting yourself on fire."

It led to a F crew ejecting during dissimilar HABFM in a top gun class. Though if I recall correctly the jet didn't catch fire, the call was directed from the F-16.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
There were a couple EP's in the 46 NATOPS that had some interesting trivia associated with their NOTES, CAUTIONS, and WARNINGS.

The first was failed boost system: (paraphrasing) When operating flight controls in single boost, it's normal to see pressure fluctuations in the operable boost system when moving the flight controls. This was added after a crew found themselves in a single boost situation, observed said pressure fluctuations in the remaining OPS NORMAL boost system, incorrectly determined they were losing the remaining system and elected to ditch rather than crash in the ocean from loss of flight controls. Turns out they ditched a very flyable aircraft.

The second one (can't remeber the exact EP) called for dumping fuel. Except if the EP was actually to happen, no one would would ever dump the fuel because the last crew to ever turn on dump pumps was unable to secure the dumps when needed and found themselves in a ditching over water scenario.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Pretty sure I read something in the Hornet NATOPS that said, "Avoid selecting afterburner when you're dumping fuel to avoid setting yourself on fire."

Happened on the TR when I was with VFA-15. If I remember right (this was 89-90) the mishap was almost a class a because of all the damage to the antennas on the tails. Kind of hard to imagine though - a Hornet needing to dump gas before recovery... :D

croakerfish

pilot
There were a couple EP's in the 46 NATOPS that had some interesting trivia associated with their NOTES, CAUTIONS, and WARNINGS.

The first was failed boost system: (paraphrasing) When operating flight controls in single boost, it's normal to see pressure fluctuations in the operable boost system when moving the flight controls. This was added after a crew found themselves in a single boost situation, observed said pressure fluctuations in the remaining OPS NORMAL boost system, incorrectly determined they were losing the remaining system and elected to ditch rather than crash in the ocean from loss of flight controls. Turns out they ditched a very flyable aircraft.

The second one (can't remeber the exact EP) called for dumping fuel. Except if the EP was actually to happen, no one would would ever dump the fuel because the last crew to ever turn on dump pumps was unable to secure the dumps when needed and found themselves in a ditching over water scenario.
Can you stop the dump pumps by pulling the CBs in a 46?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It led to a F crew ejecting during dissimilar HABFM in a top gun class. Though if I recall correctly the jet didn't catch fire, the call was directed from the F-16.
They were dumping during a BFM set?