• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July-Ish 2015 Pilot/NFO Rolling Board Thread

AltiusOne

Pro-Rec Y SNA
Just talked to my recruiter out of NRD Seattle. Told me all boards were closed other than engineering ones until October unless I had some sort of ethnic diversity?

@s_defran,

I got the same news from my recruiter (I am based out of a different NRD though) when I was applying to the February board. @NavyOffRec gave me some great advice in looking to go to a different NRD. I began the process of transferring my docs to the next closest NRD, and when it became clear that they were going to lose me as a recruit, it made things happen. I still missed the February board, but got submitted long before October and was picked up in the April board.

I originally had a hunch that my recruiter may have been using that as an excuse not to submit until next FY (he hadn't been the most truthful about the entire process, submitted me for programs I didn't want, etc.), but I confirmed with the processor, an individual with no conflicts of interest with my package and who I consider to be a very reliable source of information, and he confirmed that my NRD was looking for more "ethnically diverse" applicants. Supposedly it became a pretty big issue with my package and some other applicants who were willing to walk out and go to the next-closest NRD, and the "restrictions" they had were lifted. Just make sure to advocate for yourself and be proactive about the whole application process.

EDIT: For you it is a little different since October is only 5 months away. My recruiter was telling me this in January and I didn't want to sit out almost a full year until October with no feedback on the competitiveness of my package (a Pro Rec Y or N). Still, it may be worth seeking out another NRD that does not have these restrictions. My recruiter originally told me the ethnic diversity thing was an NRC issue, but Air Warriors confirmed that other recruiting offices were not having this issue, and that is when I started looking to send my app elsewhere.

Last edited:

s_defran

@AltiusOne
What did you have to do to transfer your packet to a different NRD? I've done all of the paperwork except they still haven't scheduled me to go through MEPS, apparently they're waiting for my medical papers to clear. Waiting until October wouldn't be the worst thing, however I would rather things start happening sooner rather than later. Do they wait for the next FY because of quotas or what?

Phoenix19917

My recruiter informed me that I would be going to a later board because they have met there quotas already .... I understand, that's how the game works,my advice if you have a good recruiter then stay with them, you might get the same wait through another NRD, and I would think it doesn't look the best moving to a new NRD because things weren't moving quick enough I'm your eyes! Remember the Navy is a small world.

The waiting sucks, but your entire Naval career will be one long waiting game.

Bigcat18

My recruiter informed me that I would be going to a later board because they have met there quotas already .... I understand, that's how the game works,my advice if you have a good recruiter then stay with them, you might get the same wait through another NRD, and I would think it doesn't look the best moving to a new NRD because things weren't moving quick enough I'm your eyes! Remember the Navy is a small world.

The waiting sucks, but your entire Naval career will be one long waiting game.

Are you sure about the quota filling up? I talked to my recruiter today and he said I should be expecting a board relatively soon. I am hoping he isnt just stringing me along.

Phoenix19917

Sorry what I meant was my recruiting station met its quotas, which could be the situation at others, I wouldn't know about board quotas (trust me I wish I did). Sorry for the confusion

MemphisBell

pilot
When I was putting the finishing touches on my packet back in March, I got a urgent call from my OR say that we needed to make the next board because NRC was nearing their pilot quota for this year. Luckely I made it just in time and was selected. Now..... I guess the thing to really think about is when will boards start meeting to fill next years quota. They may hold a board in a couple of months and push those applicates to next FY. Now I may be wrong but from months of lurking on this site, that is what I think may happen.

Bigcat18

When I was putting the finishing touches on my packet back in March, I got a urgent call from my OR say that we needed to make the next board because NRC was nearing their pilot quota for this year. Luckely I made it just in time and was selected. Now..... I guess the thing to really think about is when will boards start meeting to fill next years quota. They may hold a board in a couple of months and push those applicates to next FY. Now I may be wrong but from months of lurking on this site, that is what I think may happen.

Dang I sincerely hope this isnt the case. I would much rather find out sooner rather than later, but thanks for the info.

exNavyOffRec

The board you were selected in was picking next FY quotas

MemphisBell

pilot
I was very hesitate to post anything because I hate to add to speculation. Just get your packet together as fast as you can and I wouldn't be surprised if they hold a board before October.

lliesemeyer

What exactly do quotas refer to in the process? Does it refer to how many packets NRC accepts, when your FINSEL date actually is, or the amount of PRO-Y's the board gives out? maybe some combination of those three?

I've heard things that as the fiscal year continues the boards tend to have lower selection rates? maybe its just a magic 8 ball determining the future.

exNavyOffRec

What exactly do quotas refer to in the process? Does it refer to how many packets NRC accepts, when your FINSEL date actually is, or the amount of PRO-Y's the board gives out? maybe some combination of those three?

I've heard things that as the fiscal year continues the boards tend to have lower selection rates? maybe its just a magic 8 ball determining the future.

Selection rates can vary for many reasons, the actually FY goals being released, people being redesignated at OCS, or the board not liking the application submitted so picking lower than their target.

Hey there everybody.

I had a buddy of mine tell me about this site so its the first time I'm checking it out. Brand spankin' new member, as well as figuring out this whole application process. Anyways, I have started putting my packet together and am hoping to make it in the June/July board. Just completed MEPS yesterday and was medically cleared. Not too much left now to have it all complete. Anyways, best of luck to everyone!

Major: Aerospace Engineering (3.0 CGPA)
ASTB-E: 65/9/9/9

Garrett S.

I knew some guys in OCS that had switched stations. I believe it was up in New England. Either way, it happens, they just had to do a lot of driving throughout the process.