• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July Boards

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
NavyOffRec,

I'm a little curious by your statement, do you mean that the competitive profile hasn't changed in 3 years or that this chart is inaccurate?

My 6/7/7/55 is really crossing its fingers on the former :)

drevo454

My 6/7/7/55 is really crossing its fingers on the former :)

From what I've seen and read on here, 6/6/6 50 and above is considered competitive as far as the ASTB is concerned. From there obviously the better you do the more competitive you are. Again, that doesn't take into account the rest of your packet and the "whole-person" concept.

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

I'm a little curious by your statement, do you mean that the competitive profile hasn't changed in 3 years or that this chart is inaccurate?

I would go with inaccurate, all I know is those are the same numbers I have seen for 3 years, for example, the EOD profile has not changed, but I know that 1 of 2 selected a few years ago had a GPA of just under 3.8 and the other was around 3.6, but the GPA on the competitive profile has always said 3.0 now I am not a math major but if you take say 3.8 + 3.6 then divide by 2 you get something around 3.7

exNavyOffRec

From what I've seen and read on here, 6/6/6 50 and above is considered competitive as far as the ASTB is concerned. From there obviously the better you do the more competitive you are. Again, that doesn't take into account the rest of your packet and the "whole-person" concept.

actually 7's and above are competitive, it is rare when someone with 6's are selected, but it does happen.

Whole person concept doesn't happen so much with aviation it is mostly about the ASTB scores and then GPA.

drevo454

actually 7's and above are competitive, it is rare when someone with 6's are selected, but it does happen.

Whole person concept doesn't happen so much with aviation it is mostly about the ASTB scores and then GPA.

Is that based on more recent boards? I don't want to try and sound like I know what I'm talking about because I don't but I could have sworn I saw it mentioned in another thread that an applicant with straight 6s almost always gets picked up

exNavyOffRec

Is that based on more recent boards? I don't want to try and sound like I know what I'm talking about because I don't but I could have sworn I saw it mentioned in another thread that an applicant with straight 6s almost always gets picked up

Yes that is from the recent board, and applicants with straight 6's almost never get picked up, in over 3 years we had "1" get picked up with 6's on the last board, the thing about high GPA means you can have lower ASTB doesn't always play out, had a guy with a 3.8 tech degree, college sports, leader in his frat, all around good guy and his 6's didn't cut it, the last board was the exception as they had to select so many.

drevo454

Yes that is from the recent board, and applicants with straight 6's almost never get picked up, in over 3 years we had "1" get picked up with 6's on the last board, the thing about high GPA means you can have lower ASTB doesn't always play out, had a guy with a 3.8 tech degree, college sports, leader in his frat, all around good guy and his 6's didn't cut it, the last board was the exception as they had to select so many.

In your professional opinion do you think that in the end it is the human factor of whether or not the board members want to put an applicant through? Or do you think that they have a prescribed set of standards that the entire board follows in selecting?

exNavyOffRec

In your professional opinion do you think that in the end it is the human factor of whether or not the board members want to put an applicant through? Or do you think that they have a prescribed set of standards that the entire board follows in selecting?

I can tell you what I was told by a person that sat a board before, they score them, certain points for this, and that, but given that people sit the boards the human factor will have an effect, of course their job is to select people they think will have the best chance of getting thru flight school and be a good officer.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
Has anyone gone to MEPS yet? ... my recruiter told me to go ahead and get mine done, so I am going next week.

I went months ago, it was no biggy. My recruiter thought it might give me an extra foot up at board if I was already PQed. Unfortunately, I am one of the 666 59 ASTB scores so I am very nervous about this board!

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
I went months ago, it was no biggy. My recruiter thought it might give me an extra foot up at board if I was already PQed. Unfortunately, I am one of the 666 59 ASTB scores so I am very nervous about this board!

Oh alright, and...
Unfortunately, I am one of the "non-correctable eyes" so I am very nervous about MEPS and/or OCS physical.