• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JU NROTC Questions!

0812GM

FY09 STA-21 NFO Select
I was selected for STA-21 this year and will be drilling with the JU NROTC unit starting this fall. I have some questions about the unit (ie the size, a typical week, and how the MIDN/OCs like it there). Any help is greatly appreciated.

V/R,
GM2

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Contact the NROTC Unit and get an Officer Candidate assigned to you as a Sponsor. They should be able to give you the low down.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
It's a nice campus and you guys got an O-course. The unit is pretty cool from what I know. They did some joint fund raising with us at the speedway (Daytona) for a bit. All the guys that I know from there were pretty cool and didn't have any bad things to say about it. If you're not from Jax it's a pretty laid back town. That's all I got.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I would add my 2 cents but since I was in JU ROTC damn near 2 decades ago, would be a waste of bandwidth... Go Dolphins!!! The only thing that stands between you and downtown is the Matthews bridge; and the beaches a quick trip down Atlantic Blvd which probably takes a long time now??? Good luck..

If they still do it, JU used to graduate and select a bit earlier than most other schools including the boat, which helps with selection (Shouldn't affect you but...) and depending Date of Rank... My class had lots of pilot slots but it didn't help my year group with DOR, May 1st commission; but I think the year before was April which put them a month ahead of the big gaggle at the Academy.... How is that for a run-on sentence... That is what I/you get with a Math degree...

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
I'm in my final semester (OC) and JU's unit is one of the larger ones that I know of. We have the O-course, but I haven't run it yet (the Marines have lots of fun on it though).
As for fund raising, we no longer do Daytona since we can make the same amount of money working Jaguar games. (Normal hour and a half drive usually took over 2 hours each way on race day).
If you’re into ship stuff, we have a pretty nice ship simulator set up in the classroom. (I assume it’s nice, but I haven’t used it due to the navigation check in the block from NSI. The middies have fun with it though). They are also getting a flight simulator soon (one of the Dreamflyer setups).
As for liking the unit, I have really enjoyed my time here. I’m just ready to get back off of the ground. Almost 3 years without flying and watching P-3s fly over day after day has almost killed me.
I’ll PM you with more details about times we meet and stuff like that. But as ea6bflyr stated, you should be contacted by an OC soon to be your sponsor. In the mean time, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

trvsmrtn

pilot
I graduated from there May 04, so any info I can give is a bit dated, but may still hold true.

JU and San Diego have the largest ROTC units in the country, but it goes back and forth over which is the largest. Typically we PT'd twice a week in the early morning and on Thursday's we wore khakis to class and drilled in the afternoon. You'll be expected to participate in some of the events like the drill team or the pistol team. They try to do a lot of fundraisers so that they can send the teams to competitions without anyone coming out of pocket. As a GM, you can expect to be asked to be on the pistol team, and as a prior, you can expect to be asked to drive the team to a competition. The ROTC unit has a van, and the skipper always wanted a prior to be the one driving the teams around. Don't think of it as a bad thing, especially when it's time for the drill team to go to Tulane!

Over the summer, most of the ROTC guys do summer cruises so the unit is very small. We'd PT once a week and that was about it.

Otherwise, you're just a full time student.

As far as how the MIDS and OC's like it, that changes every semester when someone new takes over the unit.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I just arrived here last May and have been here for the summer semester and the fall. We're a pretty large unit. they recently (this spring term) went back to having drill on Thursday afternoons vice in the morning. If you can consistently score an Outstanding Low or better on the PRT and PT checks then you only have to pt on Monday mornings, if not, pt is Wednesday and Friday mornings as well. I can't comment on JU or FCCJ campuses, but UNF is something like 3.5:1 girl to guy ratio!!!

Like others have said we are BIG!! Three companies, 2 platoons each, 3 squads per platoon, 6-10 people per squad. This DOESN'T include the battalion staff members of about 20-30.

I guess it's all what you make it. I've had on okay experience so far. Not great, but not totally crappy either (just with the unit, college life is great!!). I won't publish any negatives about the unit or staff, but there are some. Not many, but some.

Good luck in your decision.

OC (insert name here)

efini_kid

im in the process of filling out my application for JU. any advice on what to write for the personal statement essay?

sorry to hijack thread.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I wasn't a JU NROTC member, but I am a recent alumni from JU. PM me if you have questions about the campus.