• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joining the navy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joslyn

Banned
I'm a u.s citizen. I am fine for I meet all the requirements. I just need a waiver.

Not judging and it's not a personal question...The only reason I ask is that if you are NOT a U.S. Citizen, then that will be your first hurdle to getting a commission. (Click on the requirements link above)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you met all the requirements, then you wouldn't need a waiver. The bottom line is that unless you commission prior to your 27th birthday, you won't be qualified for a pilot slot and you won't get a waiver for that.

So, if this is as important as you say it is, then you need to start planning on a way to graduate and commission before your 27th birthday. On a side note, if being a part of naval aviation has truly been your life's dream, why are you graduating from college at age 27? You're already five years behind the power curve.

joslyn

Banned
That's because I went through some things like hurricane sandy messed me up real bad.
I can try the army,marines or Air Force. They have some good programs.

If you met all the requirements, then you wouldn't need a waiver. The bottom line is that unless you commission prior to your 27th birthday, you won't be qualified for a pilot slot and you won't get a waiver for that.

So, if this is as important as you say it is, then you need to start planning on a way to graduate and commission before your 27th birthday. On a side note, if being a part of naval aviation has truly been your life's dream, why are you graduating from college at age 27? You're already five years behind the power curve.

joslyn

Banned
Thank you.
It's going to be really hard but by next year summer I'll know for sure which branch I'm in. I spoke to a navy recruiter and all he was trying to do was get me enlisted. He said the BDCP program was still available. Anyways, are you a pilot?
Is prk okay for any of the branches?

Whatever you decided to do, good luck.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you.
It's going to be really hard but by next year summer I'll know for sure which branch I'm in. I spoke to a navy recruiter and all he was trying to do was get me enlisted. He said the BDCP program was still available. Anyways, are you a pilot?
Is prk okay for any of the branches?

Trying to get you enlisted, that sounds like an enlisted recruiter that has "some" knowledge of officer programs, a true OR would try to get you to go enlisted.

BDCP is still on the books, but not used, so technically it is still available, but they don't put anyone in the program, easier to leave it on the books but empty than make it go away and try to bring it back later.

PRK is acceptable for at least the USN and USMC, there is a 6 month wait after surgery before you can submit an application, and to submit an application you must meet vision requirements.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Thank you.
Anyways, are you a pilot?

The people with wings below their names are Naval Aviators or NFOs. Some of them just received their wings, some of them are the Commanding Officers of active squadrons. Either way all of the people replying in this thread are people with strong reputations, who are actively trying to assist you reach your dream. There was a time when it was just a dream for us as well. Please try to understand that being combative won't do you any favors, we are here to give you advice.

ryan1234

That's because I went through some things like hurricane sandy messed me up real bad.

Joslyn, here are a few things that may help you in your quest:

1) External factors (such as Hurricane Sandy) happen to everyone, it's what you choose to do in spite of it that will determine you future. I was running close to the age timeline due to several reasons prior to finishing my degree. I took 19-21 credit hours per semester, including the summer, to make it happen - oh by the way while working full time. It sucked, but every time I strap into the F-15E, I absolutely believe that it was worth it.

2) Do research. Many, many people have asked the exact same questions you do. The real answers to your questions are in the regulations that govern officer accession combined with the climate of the boards, etc. This can be determined by using Google or the site search. Think of all of the questions you may have, key words, phrases, and search for them until you find the right answer. Searching is a much faster way to find things.

3) The AF min age is 30 for Undergraduate Flying Training.

4) Taking gratuitous amounts of criticism will be a way of life for most of your military aviation career. It's just the way it is and the same as it ever was.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Marine (and therefore it's plural Marines) are always capitalized. You could try to get into PLC, but you're going to run into a similar age restriction. If you want to go that way talk to an OSO.

Out of curiosity how did Hurricane Sandy "mess you up real bad?"

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
Like mentioned, the AF age requirement is you must start pilot training by your 30th birthday. Last I heard, they were pretty picky with degrees for OTS acceptance, but you should be good with mathematics. Your GPA is pretty good too.

You might even look into ROTC. I'm not sure what programs they have now (when I went through, I only did 3 semesters of ROTC prior to commissioning), but it could help you pay for the rest of your school too. I'd seek out the ROTC department at your school. If your school doesn't have one, ask a counselor. The school might have an ROTC department associated with it at another college campus.

The good thing about AF OTS is that you would know before you signed the dotted line if you had a pilot slot. Not the case with ROTC.

You may even want to look into Army Warrant Officer Candidate School too. I know nothing about the specifics, but if I was in your shoes, I'd definitely check out every option.

Whatever you choose, good luck and keep those grades up! :)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Hello, my name is Joslyn and I am new to this website so I really don't know how to use it very well I apologize.
I have a question to all you folks who might answer it.
I am a college student majoring in mathematics I already finished freshmen year and I am in sophomore year so I have about two years to finish or depends on what happens because things happen anyways I am 24 years old my birthday is march 20 and I'll be 27 by the time I graduate college with a BA in mathematics. I am interested in serving my country for 10 to 15 years. I want to be a naval aviator. This is the knowledge I know I plan to either stay in college get my BA and join ocs but take the oar and the astb but wondering do I have to also take the asvab as well? About my age should I join the reserves or bdcp and wondering if I qualify for it because it says they expand the age prior to military service. The military says they will waiver it. I'm sorry if I sound stupid,or asking silly questions etc. I appreciate any answers thank you to those who are joining and serving. Much respect!

Not to be a dick.....but here I go. Periods and commas are your friend!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to be a dick.....but here I go. Periods and commas are your friend!
She doesn't care about that...she wants answers....I wonder if she's friends with Halstead. :D
a14eaf87da6cdb723265f60870e330b5_zpse3da98c4.jpg

Last edited:

joslyn

Banned
Thank you!

The people with wings below their names are Naval Aviators or NFOs. Some of them just received their wings, some of them are the Commanding Officers of active squadrons. Either way all of the people replying in this thread are people with strong reputations, who are actively trying to assist you reach your dream. There was a time when it was just a dream for us as well. Please try to understand that being combative won't do you any favors, we are here to give you advice.

joslyn

Banned
You're right. I am going to be taking 21 credits each semester,two summer session and also take two winter classes. I'll also work part time. Thanks for the information and advice. I appreciate it.

Joslyn, here are a few things that may help you in your quest:

1) External factors (such as Hurricane Sandy) happen to everyone, it's what you choose to do in spite of it that will determine you future. I was running close to the age timeline due to several reasons prior to finishing my degree. I took 19-21 credit hours per semester, including the summer, to make it happen - oh by the way while working full time. It sucked, but every time I strap into the F-15E, I absolutely believe that it was worth it.

2) Do research. Many, many people have asked the exact same questions you do. The real answers to your questions are in the regulations that govern officer accession combined with the climate of the boards, etc. This can be determined by using Google or the site search. Think of all of the questions you may have, key words, phrases, and search for them until you find the right answer. Searching is a much faster way to find things.

3) The AF min age is 30 for Undergraduate Flying Training.

4) Taking gratuitous amounts of criticism will be a way of life for most of your military aviation career. It's just the way it is and the same as it ever was.

joslyn

Banned
Thank you. This information is so helpful for me. It means a lot. I will keep my options open but also look into the Air Force. It's just the Air Force seems more challenging and harder. I will see.
Like mentioned, the AF age requirement is you must start pilot training by your 30th birthday. Last I heard, they were pretty picky with degrees for OTS acceptance, but you should be good with mathematics. Your GPA is pretty good too.

You might even look into ROTC. I'm not sure what programs they have now (when I went through, I only did 3 semesters of ROTC prior to commissioning), but it could help you pay for the rest of your school too. I'd seek out the ROTC department at your school. If your school doesn't have one, ask a counselor. The school might have an ROTC department associated with it at another college campus.

The good thing about AF OTS is that you would know before you signed the dotted line if you had a pilot slot. Not the case with ROTC.

You may even want to look into Army Warrant Officer Candidate School too. I know nothing about the specifics, but if I was in your shoes, I'd definitely check out every option.

Whatever you choose, good luck and keep those grades up! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.