• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jogger run over by plane (you can't make this stuff up!)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Warface, sooner or later you will have to learn to just press the "I Believe" button. (If you're getting into aviation, that is.)

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Well, technically it was 3 deer. He missed his ace status by two. Not to be confused w/ the other deer strike by the same squadron just a few weeks earlier at 0J4. It was "fun" to hear from the former Commodore how the IPs failed to plan for that. Riiiight.

Of those 2 incidences, which one earned the IP the callsign "Deer Slayer?" And we're talking about the same Commodore that used to check IPs taxi speeds with the MP's radar guns right?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Of those 2 incidences, which one earned the IP the callsign "Deer Slayer?" And we're talking about the same Commodore that used to check IPs taxi speeds with the MP's radar guns right?

The second one (3 deer at NPA). Though I think he may have coined that term himself. He was in the my first squadron, as well. Same Commodore, though I never actually saw that. The CSO would yell at people (well, shake his fist at them as they taxied by), myself included. I thought he was waving hi for a second, but apparently he wasn't. I never understood how someone who had been flying T-34s for as long as the then-CSO had been didn't understand that a Fam 3 can't exactly control...well...anything.

Angels

Contributor
I run the same way, Otto. However, when I run outside I don't like listening to music because I like to know what's going on around me, especially if I am running on a busy road or somewhere else with a lot of traffic.

I guess what I am getting at, is no matter where you are, you have a responsibility to be aware of your surroundings for your own safety and the safety of others. I don't know about you, but with all the idiots on the road that seem to ignore bikers, runners, and joggers I have to stay aware of what's around me to stay alive.

All in all, it's a tragic accident that may or may not have been avoidable.

Ohh and on another note, I have been through the same training program as you (granted I went the P-3 route) and have a decent amount of civilian time. I know a plane with no running engine is pretty quite.
I agree that you should be aware of your surroundings but this guy wasn't on a busy road he was on a beach! Also, just because you are listening to music when you run doesn't mean you have to tune out everything around you. You can still see what is going on and hear when it is right by you or loud enough. Even if he didn't have the ipod I think it has been established that he still would not have heard it coming.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
I never listen to music when I run. Man, you need to hear the twig break when some mugger is starting the crouch and grab on you from behind. (And that one crazy Coast Guard helo pilot has me looking up, because he seems like he might crash and kill me sometime when he is waving out of the cockpit like a dufus.) You would think that there would have been a shadow or something to clue the jogger into a airplane that low-- Maybe there is something to that fate thing--

(Is that story about the deer true? Could it have been reindeer?)

ryan1234

Have you ever flown a plane with no engines turning? Pretty quiet. Half the time when I'm running, my eyes are squinted/shut from sheer hatred. If you can't hear it and can't see it, (especially coming from behind you while listening to music...) you're not gonna know it's coming.

Especially if the prop already came off... Sounds like the prop went overspeed pretty seriously.