• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jobs in Commercial Aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chuck:

Thanks for the clarification. That would make sense that they make a hybrid time out of our flight time. And as for flying single-piloted, that's okay. I was doing that a lot during workups and the beginning of my second cruise. ;)

Wink:

Very interesting. That's always the rub, that you have to work the beat for a few years before you can fly. Obviously if it's "volunteer" they aren't paying a whole lot (like, at all), but it's way to keep flying. Or is there more to it?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Physicx said:
What high school teacher makes more then 47,000?

"Nationally, the median salary for high school teachers is $43,950 per year. Half of all high school teachers earn between $34,660 and $55,430 per year.
"

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Very interesting. That's always the rub, that you have to work the beat for a few years before you can fly. Obviously if it's "volunteer" they aren't paying a whole lot (like, at all), but it's way to keep flying. Or is there more to it?

The civilian pilots I refered to are contract or civil service employees, they are paid. Since they are not sworn cops they don't go through the acadamy, just pilots for the city police , county sheriff, etc. We have both pilots and observer/tactical officers in my volunteer unit. We don't only do not get paid, we have to buy all our own equipment, from guns to tactical vests, handcuffs, to boots. Those of us that are prior military are well equiped with flight gear. Some of the other guys either buy it new or get some military surplus stuff the sheriff gets free. All the volunteer pilots are prior military. Very well qualified. There was a time a few years ago when our volunteer pilots had more combat time than the full time deputy pilots did in total fight time. I am a Tactical Officer since I am not a rotor rated pilot (once a NFO always a NFO :)) . The flying is very tactical. More so than air ambulance work. I would recommend it to anyone. Pay isn't always great. Depends on the agency, overtime, etc. Still, you are home every night with great benefits. Working with cops is fun too. Generally, a great bunch of mission oriented hackers. I find it fills my tactical flying fix since I am an earth bound naval reservist now. A volunteer program like ours is rare. But if you are looking for a helo job airborne law enforcement is a blast.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
ChuckMK23 said:
At PHI the standard for PIC time was HAC time plus First Pilot time when you weren't the HAC. This is generally what you put on yor resume - so a "post first tour, made HAC after 500 hours" guy should have 1000+ hrs of PIC time.

Whoa! They count First Pilot time after HAC designation as Pilot in Command even though you were not responsible for the aircraft or the flight, not really Pilot in Command since you didn't sign for the aircraft...I wouldn't put down as PIC time......that doesn't sound right, not legal either I think.

VAmookie

Physicx said:
What high school teacher makes more then 47,000?

plus the fact that with a masters degree (which school teachers are encouraged to get, especially high school) they can earn some 20-50% more life time earnings than teachers with just undergrad

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still almost a 50% pay cut from aviator O-3 and you dont get to shoot stuff.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Cyclic said:
Whoa! They count First Pilot time after HAC designation as Pilot in Command even though you were not responsible for the aircraft or the flight, not really Pilot in Command since you didn't sign for the aircraft...I wouldn't put down as PIC time......that doesn't sound right, not legal either I think.

Thanks for the info, wink.

Cyclic, while I understand what your saying, I would think it's a bit more gray than that, since the way we fly is so vastly different from the civilian side. Hell, I'll have 7+ hours of A/C time in one day and not ever have touched the controls except for maybe a take off or a landing, or maybe neither. So should that not count either? Of course, generally, it never gets logged that way, which even further complicates things.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
alpalogo.gif
airinclogoblack.gif

Job Fair and Employment Seminar set for June 18 in Miami

ALPA International is sponsoring a 3-day Air, Inc., job fair and employment seminar in Miami, Fla., at the Radisson Hotel Miami on June 18. Representatives from more than 15 airlines will participate in the job fair.

The program will be conducted by AIR, Inc. (Aviation Information Resources, Inc.), an Atlanta-based company that specializes in helping pilots make informed decisions in their job search and assists in developing their careers as airline pilots.

AIR, Inc. provides timely employment information as well as products and services that help pilots plan their job search, understand the hiring process, and effectively market themselves.

To register, call 1-800-JET-JOBS (538-5627). Registration deadline is June 13.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Cyclic said:

What you have some moral crises as to the subtle differences as to what gets logged how? It's not a moral or legal issue.

PIC:

FAR Part 61:51 cites three instances in which pilots may log pilot in command flight time. These are:

Only that flight time during which the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, OR
When the pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft, OR
When acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required by type certification or flight regulations.

Under this definition military pilots may legally log PIC time even when not serving as Aircraft Commander. It's quite common for a military pilot to log PIC time while flying as co-pilot using the catch all phrase "sole manipulator"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Under this definition military pilots may legally log PIC time even when not serving as Aircraft Commander. It's quite common for a military pilot to log PIC time while flying as co-pilot using the catch all phrase "sole manipulator"

That's a big 10-4, Good buddy ..... back in the day --- a lot of guys kept "two" logbooks --- just to make sure all legal military time was accounted for under the FAR's so as to compete with the "looser" standards of the civilian side of the house. I didn't, it didn't make any difference --- but I knew a few guys who did .....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(Disclaimer: this is posted for reference only, I cannot personally vouch for the company or its results. I know of it only by reputation. The link is posted for informational purposes as a potential resource relating to a flying career. Good luck ....)

pilotcareerstore.jpg

Attention: Military Transition Pilots ..... Transitioning from military to civilian flying presents a number of obstacles and challenges. AIR, Inc. has developed a variety of products and services designed to meet the needs of transitioning pilots.

See the link for more information: https://jetjobs.securesites.com/MilitaryTransition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.