• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jobs in Commercial Aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
For thise of you helo guys/gals thinking about flying helos as a CIV, Rotor and Wing Magazine just published their annual salary and job outlook report. This is an incredibly valuable document if you are thinking about going down the path - offshore, EMS, etc.

You'll need acrobat viewer, but heree is the link (PDF)

http://www.aviationtoday.com/include/catalog/pdf/editorial/RW_Salary_Empolyment_Guide.pdf

Overall pilot positions in trhe helicopter industry are opening up - Offshore and EMS especially. Generally you can plan on starting out at a base salary of $35K per year - some places more, some less - for a 7 day on, 7 day off schedule. Your days on are generally 14 hour duty days. Almost exclusively VFR single pilot.

The salary survey makes interesting reading....

dcnj

Foreign Airlines Hiring US pilots?

I was wondering if anyone knows if any foreign airlines hire pilots who get their training in the US military. If so, how does one go about applying as a US citizen? I had heard a few stories about some Army helicopter pilots getting hired by Japan Airlines.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Helo Pilots - Air Log hiring...

For those fellow helo pilots out there - Air Logistics, a major supplier of helicopter services for the oil and gas industry is on a pretty good hiring run right now. Starting pay is $47k (or abouts) which is quite good...

Here are the details, straight from their HR department:

Pilot Applicant Information

The minimum application requirements for pilots are:
• 1000 Hours PIC Helicopter
• FAA Commercial Helicopter
• FAA Instrument Helicopter
• Current Class II Medical

If you meet these minimums and are interested in filing out an application packet, please click on the link below. You will have to print the application, fill out the application completely and return to me via mail.

ftp://12.36.243.135/hrapp/pilots.pdf

Pilot Interview Process: (2 days)
Pilots who are invited to interview for employment with Air Logistics will participate in a two day interview process. Day One will include:
• An assessment of aviation knowledge covering:
- FAR Part 61
Subpart A
- FAR Part 91
Subpart A
Subpart B
- Aeronautical Information Manual
Chapter 3
Chapter 7
• An interview flight under VFR in BH-206 aircraft. Applicants will be asked to perform a Cross country-flight to an airport within 25nm of the New Iberia Airport. The applicant is expected to perform as the PIC meeting the Commercial PTS standards. Air Logistics will provide the following:
- BH-206 Aircraft
- South Central AFD
- Houston Sectional
- Headset
• An interview with Air Logistics Management

For those candidates selected to continue in the interview process:
• Dinner with a management representative (evening of day one)
• Day two includes presentation from Human Resources on company benefits and pre-employment drug screen

Air Logistics Fleet: Air Logistics Pilots:
EC 120 Instrument Rating = 100%
S 76 Airline Transport Rating = 50%
B 214 ST Average Tenure with Air Logistics = 8.3 years
B 407 Average Helicopter flight time = 7310 hours
B 206 B, L1, L3, L4 Average Air Logistics Flight Time = 5347 hours

New Hire Pilot Training Program:
• Approximately 14 days (continuous)
• Training consists of classroom instruction, simulator training, flight training, and water survival
• Air Logistics provides lodging while in training
• New hire pilots will receive $22.50 ($7.50 per meal) per diem for food
• New hire pilots pay is 100% of base pay during training

What to expect as a new hire pilot with Air Logistics:
• New Hire pilots will work a schedule of 7 days on 7 days off
• New Hire pilots will fly B 206 aircraft
• Bids are granted based on seniority
• Until a pilot is capable of holding a bid line, that pilot will be assigned to the pilot “Pool”. While in the pool, pilot assignments are based on the Company’s operational needs. Therefore, a pool pilot can be assigned to any of our field bases. While in the pool a pilots report for duty day may fluctuate as well.
• The Company will provide lodging for pilots while on hitch (work schedule)
• A bonus of $40.00 per day for each night a pilot spends on an offshore location.
• Pilots who are required to travel to a base location other than his normally or originally assigned base, will be eligible for a $22.50 ($7.50 per meal) per diem for meals as well as reimbursement for mileage.
• Work over pay is time and a half of the applicable daily base rate of pay.
• Pilots work a 14 hour duty day with flight time limits for single engine at 8 hours, and dual engine at 10 hours.
• Pilots are encouraged to reside within a reasonable commute (no more than 6-8 hour drive)
• In addition to base salary and per diem bonuses, pilots are eligible and may qualify for a quarterly Safety and Service bonus which currently averages $490.00 per quarter.
• Starting pay for a new hire pilot with no offshore (Gulf of Mexico) oil & gas experience is $47,300.00 base annually

Air Logistics Operations Headquarters
4605 Industrial Drive
Acadiana Regional Airport
New Iberia, LA 70560
Phone: 337-365-6771
Fax: 337-364-8222
e-mail: hr@air-log.com

Reactions: bch

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Chuckster:

You are "in the loop" .... Is PHI hiring?? Any others in the Gulf ?? (Mexico -- not Persian) .... They used to have a large/huge base in Houma (sp?) LA --- used to be a first class outfit when I was DO for Lone Star Helicopters .... they probably still are ---

logoBlack.gif
785028.jpg
785031.jpg
787636.jpg

ChuckMK23

pilot
PHI is almost always hiring .... and honestly they are a good company as well, plus PHI has the whole aeromed/EMS business as well.

My former ride......:)

8b.jpg

VAmookie

Jobs in Hollywood

Anyone hear about people getting jobs in the movie industry. I talked to a guy who said they are few, but there is a need for helo guys who fly with camera's strapped on for air shoots and whatnot. Anyone know anything?

ChuckMK23

pilot
Keystone Helicopters hiring in Northeast - EMS

This would be great for a guy leaving the military and looking for a first position in the commercial helo world. You could easily keep flying in the reserves (Norfolk) on your 7 days off (or join the Army Guard) and between the two you'd have a very nice $$$ package.

Job Title Pilot - EMS BK117 - Hammonton, NJ

Date 4/22/2005

Location Hammonton, NJ

Degree Required

Requisition Id 35

Job Description Seeking an experienced Pilot in Command to operate as part of a 4 Pilot VFR Operation in Hammonton, NJ flying an EMS equipped BK 117.
Relocation to the area is required.
Pilot in Command, 1,500 total hours.
1000 PIC helicopter, 500 hours Cross Country, 200 hours night time, Commercial Instrument ticket.
Pilot in Command Desired: 3000 total hours, Experience in operating the BK117
Resumes should include hours broken down by type of aircraft flown.
Keystone Helicopter Corporation
1420 Phoenixville Pike
West Chester, PA 19380
Attn: Human Resources
Fax: 610-883-4408
Email: careers@keystonehelicopter.com

Reactions: E5B

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
This would be great for a guy leaving the military and looking for a first position in the commercial helo world. You could easily keep flying in the reserves (Norfolk) on your 7 days off (or join the Army Guard) and between the two you'd have a very nice $$$ package.

Job Title Pilot - EMS BK117 - Hammonton, NJ

Chuckster: Thanks for posting this stuff --- good helo jobs are tough to find (what flying job isn't?) and you may be doing a real service to some helo guys here -- or their Amigos. When I D.O.'ed for LoneStar Helo's in Dallas -- I learned that fact. I tried to give you "rep" points for it ... and got this back from the constipated, Nazi-like "rep" point accounting system:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ChuckMK23 again ..... You idiot.

Sorry --- but BZ anyway .... (and smiles :) , always smilin' :) ... say cheese !!)

Physicx

Banned
If any helo pilots are looking for a great helo job check out Eurocopter USA.There based in Texas and are looking for demo pilots.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chuck:

Curious if you know the answer to this: When it says "PIC 1500 total time," does that equate to us pulling the time off our 'Aircraft Commander hours" in our logbook? I'm assuming it would. I can see how if a guy left his fleet squadron w/ how scarce hours are today, and then went to a non-flying billet for his shore tour, there's no way he'd be competitive. Hell, I'm an anomoly at my squadron since I just broke 1k in model. There's probably only one or two other JOs who will make that nowadays. I'd have to look at my logbook, but just after my first sea tour, I know I wouldn't meet the PIC or PIC Helo requirements. Of course I'm going to a flying shore tour, so I can up those PIC total numbers in due time. :) Just not the PIC helo time.

VAmookie

That sounds like a lot a work to go work for that company (Air Logistics) for a measly 47,000. Get a masters degree and you can make that much teaching highschool

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
CORPSviation said:
That sounds like a lot a work to go work for that company (Air Logistics) for a measly 47,000. Get a masters degree and you can make that much teaching highschool

Welcome to the world of aviation. There are RJ pilots getting $25K saying the same thing.

ChuckMK23

pilot
gatordev said:
Chuck:

Curious if you know the answer to this: When it says "PIC 1500 total time," does that equate to us pulling the time off our 'Aircraft Commander hours" in our logbook? I'm assuming it would. I can see how if a guy left his fleet squadron w/ how scarce hours are today, and then went to a non-flying billet for his shore tour, there's no way he'd be competitive. Hell, I'm an anomoly at my squadron since I just broke 1k in model. There's probably only one or two other JOs who will make that nowadays. I'd have to look at my logbook, but just after my first sea tour, I know I wouldn't meet the PIC or PIC Helo requirements. Of course I'm going to a flying shore tour, so I can up those PIC total numbers in due time. :) Just not the PIC helo time.

PIC time in the Commercial Helo world is a bit of a mixed bag - generally most operators assume pilot backgrounds flying single piloted light single or twin engine ships. That's a big culture shift from the Navy/Marine Corp where even a TH-57 can't be brought into a hover with only one seat filled.

At PHI the standard for PIC time was HAC time plus First Pilot time when you weren't the HAC. This is generally what you put on yor resume - so a "post first tour, made HAC after 500 hours" guy should have 1000+ hrs of PIC time.

Look also at the FAR's for a definition of PIC time - perhaps A4s can help out on this one...:)

Also - in the comm. helo world - it is very much the rule for Single Pilot operations. Dual pilot ops are almost always at the customer request because THEY require it or for IFR where the autopilot is not certified in lieu of a Second in Command.

Operators hardly ever consider workload a factor - for example a friend of mine flies a Bell 412, single pilot - which is the equivalent of a UH-1N - only routinely doing confined area landings, navigating, talking on three different radios, doing the weight and balance, etc etc. oh and all this down to 700/2 during the day and 800/3 at night VFR.

Your "crew" in EMS missions (paramedic, flight nurse, Doc) are not "crewmembers" as you would relate them to be - they are NOT clearing your tail, or looking for traffic or any such thing...(the FAA usually considers them pax under part 135). They are lucky if they can latch the doors properly. :)

YOU - have to make sure all the cowling and door latches are secured prior to every leg.

YOU - have to make sure the APU door cover is closed and latched

YOU have to refuel your own aircraft

YOU have to clean your windscreen

YOU have to wash the tailboom of the exhaust crud before you go home at the end of your 12-14 hour shift.

YOU have to evaluate your own LZ's (think Wal-Mart parking lot at 2 am)

YOU have to manage your own radios, switchology, GPS, nightsun, etc..

Oh and you get to help load the patients, keep firefighters and police from walking into the tailrotor, assist with an extra set of hands carrying medical gear...and on and on.

Oh yeah and fly!

get the picture?

:)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a member of a volunteer aviation unit for my local Sheriff's Office. I have got to say, airborne law enforcement is a hoot. It is becoming more common for law enforcement agencies to hire civilian pilots to fly with a sworn officer or deputy as a copilot/observer. The civilian pilots also frequently serve as a training officer, safety officer and/or CFI in the unit. The advantage of the civilian employee angle is you don't have to take a detour in career to go to the police academy and work the streets for a few years before or if an opening in aviation came available. My agency has two civilian pilots on staff. One is the CFI, the other conducts some of the other technical training functions like long line. Most larger agencies also would like a dual rated guy like USMC/Navy guy. You can get more info from the Airborne Law Enforcement Association (ALEA) web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.