• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jobs for Civilian Wives

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBLUEBIRD

I am going to be giving up my career to follow my pilot... just wondering what kind of job oppertunities will be out there for me? Anybody have any suggestions?

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
What was your career? What would you like to do? There are many of us that keep our careers- but just move around with them
icon_smile_wink.gif
- or we change them! I for one- have decided to change mine- but I still have interest in what I went to school for. I guess it depends! Let us know what you'd like to do!

You've been added to the Private Spouse's Forum! Look under the Naval Aviator's Forum and click there if you'd like to talk to a bunch of other Navy girlfriends and spouses privately! Welcome to the forum!

Heather
icon_smile.gif

BIGBLUEBIRD

Thanks so much Heather for adding me....

Well I am in the Insurance Brokerage business... this isn't the type of job where I can move around ... it took me forever to get this job in first place ... I thought about going back to school and getting my nursing degree.. but man heading back to school dosen't sound like fun ...I would love to stay in this industry.

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
No problem!
icon_smile_wink.gif

Hmm...I wish I could give you advice about the insurance business, but I can't. I know nothing about it! Yeah, I need to go back to school as well, and I'm not so sure I really want to- but I do at the same time. It will give me a sense of achievement with what I'm trying to tackle now. It is hard going to school until we know we'll be in one place long enough- and for how long. But- I'll make it eventually!
icon_smile.gif

I know there are insurance companies in every town- but other than that- I don't have any advice there. I wish I could be more help! Good luck with whatever you decide! Is your boyfriend or husband in flight training now, or is he about to go? How soon do you have to make these decisions?

Heather

BIGBLUEBIRD

love_125.gif
Well I think I have come up with my own solution
idea_125.gif
,Since we have a while to figure all this out...and I realized that Valion
king_125.gif
will be gone alot for the next couple of years, I think I am going to go back to school and become a nurse... and since I am going that route I might even end up being a Nurse Practioner... That way it would be easy for me to get jobs, or I could be a travelling nurse where it would be easy for me to come and go...LOL It is kinda hard giving up what you have worked for... but the more I sit here and think about it... where I am at now isn't where I really want to be, being happy isn't about money ... it's baout being able to be around your family, and being able to spend quality time with your significant other...Thanks Heather ... for responding...

jthorp

Hey Bigbluebird,
I just went through the same stage as you when my husband started flight school. I thought about going back to school for nursing because they always get jobs fast. But I decided I'd rather work now, than spend more time in school.
Like Heather, I don't know anything about insurance brokerage, but I cann't imagine you having trouble getting back into it, especially once you two finally settle down at your duty station. And maybe since you've already got your foot in the door, you could get back into it while your SO is in flight school.
I interviewed for a lot of jobs while we were in Pensacola. I did what everyone told me-which is not tell them that my husband is a student pilot. I was almost more afraid of somehow slipping and telling the interviewer about my husband than I was of the actual interview. When I was finally hired for a job, my boss told me she couldn't afford to have messed up hiring someone and that the learning curve for my position was going to take six months. I knew that we would have to move before I'd even become useful. I quit my job before I even started. That's when I decided to head in the direction I'm going now. . which is working at home. I started looking on Monster for Researcher/Virtual Assistant type jobs that you can do at home-and best of all-it doesn't matter how often you move! You can always keep the same job. Of course, I got a lot of "send us 50 bucks, and we'll give you a job" type things. But I finally got hired with a recruiter. I'm now his researcher. I look for resumes for him, and I can do it anywhere!! I can sit here in my pajamas and work, but I get paid the same as if I went out in town to work. It's so nice because I'm here when my husband's here. SNAs have the wierdest schedules. . so this way I can have a wierd schedule with him, and when he's off I can be off and hang out with him.
Substitute teaching also seems to be a popular choice for the SO of an SNA. I know there are some ladies on here who can tell you about that one.
Good luck to you and your pilot!

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Are any of SNA's SO teachers? I would assume it would be tough to find a full time teaching job because of moving so much. Just thought I'd ask.

BIGBLUEBIRD

Thankyou so much for replying...As far as my current job goes.. we have over 300 offices worldwide, I can transfer easily but I have to sign an agreement stating that I have to work for that office for 2 years. So that dosen't quite fit in with the life we lead...Also this isn't regular Insurance, this is Insurance Brokering.. it involves one on one realtionships with the market, building client lists , and so forth...very competitive...As far as being a substitute teacher goes, I would rather have a much more stable job than that .. lol I think this whole process is teaching me to give up my control over things, lol But hey I will try anything... We have a bit to decide.. so till then keep the ideas coming .. Have a great day!!!

JenniH

Jennifer
I'm a teacher...now stay-at-home mom, but it would be tough to get a full time teaching job, especially during the training period (1st two years). Subbing would be the best bet. They are always needed and with a teaching degree, I'm sure you could get a job everyday, but I'm sure you already knew that!! ;) After training and you are PCSed somewhere for at least a year, it shouldn't be too hard, just make sure you get a military clause in your teaching contract in case something came up about moving.

Good luck!
Jennifer

Dop03

SNA Wife
I am a teacher, but I am in Pensacola without a job. Escambia School District here is under a hiring freeze and have no idea when they will lift that. So right now I am subbing. The pay here is awful!!! I am making $50 a day, with a degree and a teaching certificate. They do not pay certified teachers more, which is unheard of to me! My friend in Texas has a long-term subbing position for a woman out on maternity leave and she is making $174 a day! So I am a little upset about the pay.

I was also told by the district here that I would be able to teach (get hired) without a Florida certificate and that my Texas one would be sufficient. But right now, they won't even take me on as a long term sub (where after 20 consecutive days the pay goes up to $100) because I don't have a Florida certificate. So to me, their word doesn't mean very much. I know it isn't as bad elsewhere, but $50 doesn't really cut it! That comes out to like $6.50 an hour. You could make more at McDonald's! I don't mean to sound negative, it's just really frustrating because I LOVE teaching. I just wish the pay was better because we counted on that!! But that's what happens. It is kind of nice to have the time off, but I really want to be making money. If this district were hiring though, I would have taken a position, even if it was for half a year. I am not sure how it will work with all of this moving around. But we'll see
icon_smile.gif
! You find ways to make things work with a Navy lifestyle!

-Nicole

EA-6B1Do you have a teaching degree? Why were you asking? Just curious!

ttfgirl

So...Pensacola aside, how hard is it to get a teaching job when you're moving around alot (I'll have a credential)? Are most districts (or at least those in places where an SNA might end up) willing to hire for short periods of time/with the possibility that you might have to move? How frequently do long-term sub jobs work out? I'm just starting out on this and would love to hear from other teachers who have been in for a while about how it works out.

By the way...hi everyone! I've been perusing this site for a few months now and it's been SO helpful in giving me a picture of what to expect. Thanks for this wonderful resource! I just wanted to say hi, formally, now that my pilot is actually leaving...he reports to OCS on February 7.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Originally posted by Dop03
EA-6B1Do you have a teaching degree? Why were you asking? Just curious!

No, I'm applying for an SNA slot. My g/f will be getting her degree in early childhood (K-8). That's a glorified term for elementary education. I just wanted to see what the teacher lifestyle was like. She's worked extremely hard to get her degree, for she's going to one of the toughest schools in the south. Thanks a lot.

jthorp

EA-6B1
I know you're also interested in Quantico. . I had quite a few friends who subbed in the Quantico area, some with teaching degrees, some who hadn't yet finished college. They all said great things about it, and they got pretty good pay (way better than Pensacola's-I'm sooo sorry, Nicole, that's so depressing)
I had one friend who followed her husband to TBS. She still had her last semester of student teaching left to do, so her college in Missouri hooked her up with an advisor at the Martha Washington college in Fredericksburg, and she student taught in Stafford (right by base) After she graduated, she got hired on for a semester (her husband got infantry, so they had to stick around Quantico). Now they're at San Diego, and last I heard she wasn't able to find a teaching job. I don't know if she just didn't look very hard or there aren't many teaching jobs around there-maybe someone else knows about that area, since I'm sure that's where a lot of us will be heading.

I, on the other hand, work at home as a researcher, and I still LOVE it. I'm about to start work now.
bouncy_125.gif

Dop03

SNA Wife
Hi again,

Well,I have not been in the Navy that long, so I cannot speak from experience. But when I first contacted the school district here in Pensacola, I told them my whole story (Navy and all) and they sounded like hiring me would not be a problem. I know in Texas they will hire you if they need you! (I am not sure how the whole military clause works in a contract either. Anyone know? Is it like a lease agreement on an apartment?)

So I am hoping if we end up back in Corpus it will be easier to find a job. Long-term sub jobs come up more often than you think. Many pregnant women, teachers taking an extended sick leave, some quitting, or those retiring early will put in for a long-term sub. I worked with 2 other student teachers last year who both got long term sub jobs because one teacher quit, and another teacher was retiring mid-year. When they finished their credentials, they were hired. I think it should be easy to find a teaching job wherever we go, it's just if they will hire us. I would hope so at least. And if subbing is all that I can do, I'll just do it well!

I talked to a girl last week who's husband was in the Marines. They have moved 3 times in the past 5 years. She is a teacher. She said that she has gotten a certificate for each state they have been in. Now that just didn't make sense to me. It is a lot of time and extra money to put in for that. But she did get hired. She also said that she got her NCAT (I think), the national certification, but that did not really help her get any jobs. Each state still wanted her to have their state certificate. Now, they may have hired her and then paid for her classes, but I am not sure about that. If that was the case and they offered it to me, I would do that.

But I am really on the fence about it. I mean, I could go back to school (it's usually a couple of classes and tests) and get my certificate just in time for us to move! I know that after his first years of training that we may be in one place for a longer period of time, so it would make more sense to put in all of the effort then.

See, the district here just acted like they would hire me and have me get my alternative or ermegency certification while teaching. But now, that isn't the case because of the hiring freeze. I think if they were hiring, it would be a different story. Also, the district here just put on their webpage that they are hiring 2 coaches...and most coaches teach...so maybe they are lifting it! Sorry for rambling. I'll leave it at that. I would like to know if ya'll have an opinions about it and if you guys are thinking about getting certified in each state or doing the national certification. I am really curious what the best option is. I haven't found it yet!!

Thanks,
Nicole

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
I've been a teacher for 5 years. I've actually had no problems finding jobs in any of the places we've been so far. And we haven't always moved in the summer before school started (out of 5 years, I've only started on the first day with my classes 2 years). My first year, when DH was in primary (NFO) I didn't live with him, I was in California and taught there. Then, he went to San Diego so I moved down to be with him and taught there for a year. Then, we went to Jax for his squadron tour and I taught there, for 2 1/2 years. I just left my job (and my best class yet
cry_125.gif
) at the winter break to move here to Corpus with DH. I have decided not to try for a full time job here since we won't likely be here too long and we are trying to start a family, so I am going to sub here. But, in Corpus, for certified teachers, I can pretty much match the salary I had in Jax if I sub every day ($120/day for certified teachers), although I probably won't work every single day.
Anyhow, I have always felt that teaching was an ideal job to have with a DH in the military. You just need to be proactive about applying for certification (usually you get at least a one year certificate as an out of state certified teacher) before you get there- so when you apply for a job, you can list on your application that you've applied and are waiting for certification from the state. Districts want to hire people who are ready to start. Also, apply to districts well in advance of you being there as some districts have a lengthy application process before you can interview. Before DH selected the first time, we didn't know if we'd be going to Whidbey or San Diego. I had applications in to both districts in Whidbey (2 different city districts) and San Diego (5 different city districts). I even had an interview set up in Whidbey and then the next week found out for sure it was going to be San Diego so I cancelled it.
I don't usually make it known that DH is in the military, but when asked what has brought me here (pretty typical in teaching interviews) I don't hide it, but I do not tell them we might only be there a year. It has not ever been a problem.

I think the most important advice for a military spouse/SO looking for a career is, find something that you love to do and pursue that. Don't pour yourself into a career just because it is easy to move around with. You need to be fulfilled, too, and enjoy your job. It hasn't been easy constantly having to start over (always being the "new teacher" even with 5 years of experience), but I love my job and have met some great people at the 4 schools I have worked at. If you have any specific questions regarding teaching, I'd be happy to answer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.