• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Job Hunting in P-cola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridiani

Howdy to the Navy and Marine spouses! I've got a quick question for you. What are the best online/conventional resources for job hunting in the P-cola area for out-of-staters? Although my OCS date is a ways off, I know my husband would like to get a head start on checking out the job situation down there. It would be terrific if he could have something lined up in advance. I've looked around this forum for info, and have seen some general friendly advice, but no specifics. I know you guys have your own private forum, so perhaps you've bandied this question about before.

I appreciate it!

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Good luck with the job hunting! I'll just be honest and let you know: it is NOT easy finding a job down here. I have been here for almost 6 weeks, and wasn't able to find anything (which doesn't now- matter my fiance and I are leaving in the beginning of August for Corpus); but I know of a lot of people that had a tremendously hard time finding a job. So, just fair warning! Sorry- not trying to be negative...just want you to be prepared!

When looking, I would check out: www.pensacola.com . It has links for some of the papers and job searches for Pensacola. I think you'll see what I mean when you check it out. Also, another way is through temp agencies- Landrum is one. Other than actually being here, that is my only recommendations. Good luck! I hope you and he have much better luck than I!!
bouncy_125.gif

Heather

www.theolahs.com
Supporting my Ducky in the Navy

Meridiani

Thanks for the response, Heather! I was afraid that the job situation might be grim. I tried running a search for P-cola jobs on one of the national online searches, and found zip! I thought it might be a mistake... Oh well. I'll have him take a look at that site, and maybe something will come along in the next eight-ten months or so.
crazy_125.gif

slabicro

Helo wife
I hope it depends on the field? I am in the medical market (nursing) and usually jobs are a dime a dozen? Gosh I hope so
bouncy_125.gif

Renee

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Megan-

I think you and Renee will definitely be ok. There are a lot of hospitals here! In fact, I live around the corner from one! That is one thing I've noticed! I'm sure in a field like that, you guys won't have too much of a problem. I sometimes wished I would've gone into the medical field! Lol...of course, that would require having the stomach and desire...which...there are some gruesome things...I don't know how you guys do it!!
bouncy_125.gif
Best of luck to you though!

Heather

Supporting my Ducky in the Navy

jaerose

Are you kidding...why the need for a second income...he'll be married to a Naval Officer and won't need the extra money! You'll be fine with your salary and the fat of the land...just teasing! Maybe he should look into real estate and be an agent...high turnover, so an opportunity for lots of commissions. Or, start up a small business???

Just ideas,
JR

Meridiani

LOL, JR. I'm fine with him being a house-husband, but I bet he'd get pretty restless. He's got a bachelor's in biology and an M.S. in ecology, so I'm guessing that if he can't find a suitable job that he'd just do some volunteering for state or county parks/wildlife management departments. I really can't envision him opening a business, but thanks for the suggestion.
icon_smile.gif

JenniH

Jennifer
See if NASP has a SEAP (spouse employment assistance program). I'm not sure if all bases have one, but I know some do. They may be able to hook him up.

Jennifer

Meridiani

Yeah, I've been trying to find something along those lines on their website, but I've yet to come acrossed it. I'll keep checking, though.

FSUMIDN

P-3 TACCO
I'm from Pensacola and can confirm that the job market is not exactly booming. You can search jobs through http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/ and I know there are job resources on NAS but I only know of a govt job board on base and not any online access.

JenniH

Jennifer
Here's some numbers that might help:
Base Info: (850)452-2000
Family Support Center 452-5990

Maybe they know of an employment counseling office? Good luck!!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
HELLO!
Just FYI: I am posting under my husbands username. I just moved to Meridian from Pensacola. I found the following websites (in addition to the national websites) to come in handy.

www.pensacolajobs.com
www.pensacolahelpwanted.com
www.landrumstaffing.com
www.pensacolanewjournal.com -- newspaper uses careerbuilder.com
www.accessgulfcoast.com

Also, depending on what part of Pensacola you move to, Mobile, AL, is a very large town and isn't to bad of drive using the interstate. I believe the name of the paper is the Mobile Register. I don't know how far he is willing to drive. As far as the Spouse assistance program on base, they are really of no help unless you have worked for the government before, then you can apply for spouse preference and they will assist you. From what they told me, I was pretty much on my own trying to get my foot in the door but once in, they would be willing to help. He can use spouse preference for government jobs using the Navy human resource website. It is really neat. They have a resume builder online that puts everything into the regulated format. Hope this is of some assistance. If anyone out there has any info on Meridian, MS and if there are any similiar resources, please let me know.

God Bless! Good luck to your husband on his job search. I feel his pain. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.