• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JMPE via CD-rom going away

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Is this (or NPS Monterey) an option for SELRES, at the appropriate career mark?

One of our SelRes LCDRs was (very deservedly) selected for a full year in Newport several years ago - he eventually earned command as well. Not sure if it is still offered to SelRes but it certainly would be prudent to investigate - it would be a fantastic opportunity.

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
Are you suggesting that the board doesn't consider JPME completion?
No, not suggesting that at all. I am saying it is not a impenetrable barrier to either board. I know several folks who screened without JPME completed. Myself included and the JPME police haven't come knocking. Guess I'll press to test the O-6 statutory board and see what happens...

My opinion on whether it should negatively impact someone's career b/c they didn't spend a BS year in Newport or Montgomery and stayed out in the Fleet on sea tours instead? Self explanatory I would hope.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Maybe I'm cynical about this but I will say that I don't think the web-enabled or fleet seminars are prepared to handle more people. I just signed up for the web enabled and in the application it talks about how it could be 6+ months before you get into a class. As #102 of 115 on the current wait list for JMO, I'm not surprised at the wait time.

Did I forget to mention that the wait times were similar for all 3 classes? So even with "priority" once I do a class, this is still going to take well over 2 years to do what I could have done in 12 months or less via CD-ROM.

I'm not even getting into the wait times and restrictions regarding doing the fleet seminars program.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
According to RADM Grooms on behalf of ADM Mullen, CJCS at the time:
PME – both Service and Joint – is the critical element in officer development and is the foundation of a joint learning continuum that ensures our Armed Forces are intrinsically learning organizations. The PME vision understands that young officers join their particular Service, receive training and education in a joint context, gain experience, pursue self development, and, over the breadth of their careers, become the senior leaders of the joint force. Performance and potential are the alchemy of this growth, but nothing ensures that they are properly prepared leaders more than the care given to the content of their training, education, experience, and self-development opportunities. My PME vision entails ensuring that officers are properly prepared for their leadership roles at every level of activity and employment, and through this, ensure that the U.S. Armed Forces remain capable of defeating today’s threat and tomorrow’s.

Today, the United States enjoys an overwhelming qualitative advantage not only in our fielded capabilities, but in our cognitive approach to our duties; sustaining and increasing this advantage will require a transformation achieved by combining technology, intellect, and cultural changes across the joint community. PME needs to continue to build an officer that understands the strategic implications of tactical actions and the consequences that strategic actions have on the tactical environment. Service delivery of PME, taught in a joint context, instills basic Service core competencies; JPME enhances joint warfighting and leader competence. JPME should position an officer to recognize and operate in tactical, operational, and strategic levels of national security, enhancing the total force capability and capacity to wage, as necessary, traditional and irregular warfare.

Last edited:

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
......... screened without JPME completed. Myself included and the JPME police haven't come knocking. Guess I'll press to test the O-6 statutory board and see what happens...

My opinion on whether it should negatively impact someone's career b/c they didn't spend a BS year in Newport or Montgomery and stayed out in the Fleet on sea tours instead? Self explanatory I would hope.

From the MILPERSMAN: "Navy personnel policy mandates that all unrestricted line (URL) commanding officers will complete JPME I prior to assuming command. Navy officers, whose career timing does not support in-residence attendance, or for whom no in-residence quota is available, have several options for completion of JPME I, including non-resident fleet seminar programs and other distance learning programs which contain JPME I embedded in certain curricula at the Naval Postgraduate School."

Good on you if you got through to your Command tour without having to do it. A year in Newport or Montgomery isn't required. USAF version online is doable on the boat, while deployed. I'd rather do the online version at my own pace for a couple years than scramble to get it done after the board....

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
This is what I get for going off-grid. I have time to do the CD-ROM program now along with my thesis, and was just going to start it up when I saw this.

What's the go-to now for people who want to knock it out as fast as possible? AF? They won't take O-3s, right? Any other good options?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^

What's the go-to now? Use the time and effort to getting your ATP mins instead.

(Sorry, that was extra snarky, even for me.)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This is what I get for going off-grid. I have time to do the CD-ROM program now along with my thesis, and was just going to start it up when I saw this.

What's the go-to now for people who want to knock it out as fast as possible? AF? They won't take O-3s, right? Any other good options?

If you could have gotten in before the cutoff deadline, the CD Course is fast. I did it in 8 months, 3 of which were during my 4 I-stop PCS, so it was 5 months of actual work. At least 1-2 months of that was waiting on boxes of books to get to me. It is painful, but not time-consuming or overly difficult.