• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JFK replacing Kitty Hawk in Yokosuka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindy

Does anyone have information relating to this? Understand JFK will go in yards for several years before the shift?

Thanks.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
?????? huh, Last I read somewhere was that the JFK was going bye bye. There were other posts here on the board about what will happen when the Kitty is retired in the future. I havent seen anything else about the JFK going west. Please post any articles you have seen regarding this. Just curious.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I too have read that the JFK is being decommed. I know congress is pretty mad at the Navy too because the Japs won't let a nuclear powered carrier to be stationed there. Which leaves what, one conventional carrier after the JFK ( the Kitty Hawk, correct me if I'm wrong). Congress, especially Sen. McCain (R-Arizona) have told the Navy to find a solution to this problem, especially since the next carrier on the way is the George H.W. Bush and that too is nuclear. There has been some speculation that the Navy is decomming the JFK because of it's attached namesake, meaning that since so many people loved JFK the person, it will bring sympathy to the Navy in terms of its budget.

EDIT: A4's is right the Ike is a nuke... I knew that, but who knows what I was thinking.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This subject has been discussed at some length on this forum. Try to do a "search" on some of the following threads for the JFK, Kitty Hawk, and basing ideas ......

USS Kennedy Comes Between Bush Brothers

F/A-18 RAG locations and BRAC rumors

Air Wing in Hawaii??

Aircraft carrier in P'Cola??

The Japanese will do whatever they need to do to secure their Islands, nuke or not. BTW, the "Ike" ain't an oil-burner .... she's a Nuke. I waved CQ a couple of times on the Eisenhower when she (she? Dwight?) was new and that was the first time I ever drank a glass of ship's water that didn't taste like JP or black oil .... Progress.

Image715.jpg
cvn69crest.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That article and the Navy "source" was just speculating and contributing the the J's wishfull thinking, nothing more. Don't believe everything (anything) you hear in the press - it's usually wrong.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did read in the last few days that the Navy is in negotiations with the Japanese about the next carrier to be stationed there. One of the ideas that has been floated around is the Navy might put the JFK in reserve just in case they need another convential carrier on Japan for a few more years after the KH leaves. I am not sure if this would happen but there was another good pont in the article. If the Kitty Hawk was the last conventional carrier in the Navy and it was decomm'd, it would be a lot more paltable to the Japanese government to accept the basing of a CVN in Japan. Of course we could solve this problem by putting a carrier or two in Guam, but that is my own opinion ;) .

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I did an exchange cruise with the JMSDF for my first class cruise, and all the Japanese mids I talked to suggested nuking N Korea, that kinda threw me for a loop. I would guess the govt doesn't have much of a problem basing a CVN there, more than likely the citizens.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
gregsivers said:
I did an exchange cruise with the JMSDF for my first class cruise, and all the Japanese mids I talked to suggested nuking N Korea, that kinda threw me for a loop. I would guess the govt doesn't have much of a problem basing a CVN there, more than likely the citizens.

You're probably right. Does anyone else know the Japanese reasons, officially stated or through heresay?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Japanese citizenry and their general reluctance to accept nukes??? Perhaps it has something to do with this :

bombe-hiroshima-aloft.jpg
hiroshima.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gregsivers said:
I did an exchange cruise with the JMSDF for my first class cruise, and all the Japanese mids I talked to suggested nuking N Korea, that kinda threw me for a loop.

Why did this shock you? The Koreans and Japanese have zero love for each other. They both have done some heinous things to each other in the past. Most recently, North Korea has been known to kidnap Japanese citizens. Sometimes they don't get returned.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Why did this shock you? The Koreans and Japanese have zero love for each other. They both have done some heinous things to each other in the past. Most recently, North Korea has been known to kidnap Japanese citizens. Sometimes they don't get returned.

Do you know Japan's response to that? Economic sanctions. What goods you ask? Lipstick and melons. I swear I quote for verbatim when I say that the Japanese ministry said, upon announcing that these sanctions would begin, "...then Kim Kong Il will ask, where are my melons?" He's apparently a huge melon fan. They also noted there is a high demand for ladies lipstick in N. Korea. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.