• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jets Jets Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

need4speed

I just got to P-cola and have to go through ISO and all that good stuff. I'm realy interested in improving my chances of getting Jets. Is there any benefit to going to the airforce bases? I'm not concerned with long days, I'll take long days to get jets if that is what is needed. Any info on getting Jets would be appreciated.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
what is ISO?

There is no advantage to going to AF for primary. This has been beaten to death but:

Your selection depends on:

1. Needs of the Navy
2. Your performance in Primary
3. Your selection preference

Jet slots are slim pickings these days unless you're in the Marine Corps. That may change by the time you select.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
boilersmack said:
If you THINK it will get you jets, come right here to Vance. You will absolutely love it here.

Don't listen to him, the airfarce has "warped his fragile little mind!!"

Just do your best and try not to sweat it. With there being no guarntees, there is no point in freaking out about it. The extra stress can only bring you down. If you really wanted, just give your best that way if for some reason it does not work out, you will at least know it was no fault of your own.

Another thing to think about... You may find in Primary that maybe the jet community is not the best fit for you, be open to what the IP's have to say about their communities, you may find that they better suit you (not that the jet community may not). I guess what I am trying to say is to make sure that you get ALL the info possible on the communities, TOP GUN IS NOT REALITY!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like bch said, there are no guarantees. The only thing you can do is try your best and work hard. There is absolutely nothing in the world that you can do, besides working hard, that will improve any chance of getting a jet slot. Shoot, the current situation with the jet pipepline doesn't even apply to you. With ISO, IFS (if you haven't done it yet), API, and BOLTC, it could easily be a year before you see a T-34. Shoot for the stars, but be prepared for the Navy to give you something else.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cross-posting has also been known to halve your NSS. Little known fact. :p

Just kidding. Good to see more Nittany Lions on here.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Yeah, don't go to Vance or Moody. Primary is enough of a problem without having to deal with the AF system. Trust me, when you sit in the hot seat in Enid, you will know. I hear that briefs are conducted with the flight commander and every other student...If you screw up one discuss item, you can get downed. Yeah, that sucks. Just gouge, take it for what it is. Plus, I like to study where instructors can't find me and stick me with a geedunk run.

petescheu

goplay234 said:
I hear that briefs are conducted with the flight commander and every other student...If you screw up one discuss item, you can get downed.

Ahhhhh hearsay, gotta love it. That's not correct, sorry to say. We didn't have discuss items as the Navy calls them, and I've never heard of anyone downing any ride period because they messed up something in the brief. Sucking in the plane, now that's another story, but hooking because of a brief never happened during my time with the A/F. Also, hooking a ride with the air force is WAY different than downing a ride in the Navy. There were kids that hooked 7,8,9 rides throughout the program and still graduated just fine. In the Navy, at least here, if you down 3 rides you're probably pretty much booted. A/F you can hook for less, but it doesn't mean as much as it does with the Navy.

petescheu

THumper-
I had him for a checkride once, that's the only time I flew with him... is he still in Venom flight or has he moved along? He's a real cool dude, although he dinged me for some really minor stuff on my check ride (it was my form one, at like 0630 in the morning), although I guess they always get you on something. I know you're not even close to check rides yet, are you?

petescheu

B2001? Yes my friend, many many moons... don't worry though grasshoppa, someday that flow chart really will be colored all yellow. Just try and dodge the yellow with the red outline. It will all make sense soon enough.

thumper

Vic or Shoo,

What's the deal with hooking flights? I know the basics, but is it the same as getting a Navy pink sheet? It sounds like you can hook and not worry too much so long as you only do rarely. Also, any idea how the AF grading system translates to Navy regarding things like Officer Rating (20% of my NSS depends on what an AF Captain thinks about me? WTF?)

petescheu

Oh come on now Vic, I know you made it through without any red :p Unless you ever hooked for that spewing habit... you did miss the over more than 50,000 dollars of digital avionics, right?... There was a kid in my class that puked down his flight suit b/c he forgot a bag - WHOOPS! How's helo land treating you btw, I hear learning how to hover is haaaard.
thumps- No not the same at all. It's not a good thing, but it's nothing compared to "downing" a flight in the Navy. Just don't hook three in a row or hook a checkride, then you might use up your 88 ride, which then starts to get bad. But don't hook a ride and you won't have to worry about it, eh?
I don't think flight commander ranking counts for our NSS. Talk to Mozzey (he's still the Navy liason right?) about what they use in your NSS, I can't remember what it is, but there are certain things that count for the A/F kids that won't matter for you. Although being ranked at the top of your class doesn't hurt, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.