• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jax/Mayport Life

robav8r

None
Contributor
Move to the beach.......don't even think twice. I moved there kicking and screaming because I was afraid of the commute to NAS. Turned out to be the best QOL I've had in the military.

I checked-in to HSL-40 in 1985 and have had several tours in Jax since then. Living at the beach was great QOL and I would do it again in a heart beat !!!

MasterBates

Don't live north of Atlantic, unless you are within 2-3 blocks of the beach, even then it can be iffy.

I don't know what range you are looking in, when I was a married O-1, I was paying $900/mo for a crappy 1br apt in Bermuda Cove, and that was on Hodges south of Atlantic (Mainland side of Intercoastal) and had no redeeming qualities beyond being "cheap"

Not sure what the rental market is now, but finding something not ghetto, that's not an hour or more from the gate, and under $1000/mo would have been rough when I was a JO there in 03-06.

One of the "problems" is NAS JAX and Mayport are in the same "city" and JAX has a lot more non ghetto, reasonably priced areas within a reasonable drive than Mayport, but they both get the same BAH (but if goes much further if you are at NAS JAX)

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
still say Avondale...can lightning (or bullets) strike twice (apologies Statesman)? ...and I carry.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't live north of Atlantic, unless you are within 2-3 blocks of the beach, even then it can be iffy.

I don't know what range you are looking in, when I was a married O-1, I was paying $900/mo for a crappy 1br apt in Bermuda Cove, and that was on Hodges south of Atlantic (Mainland side of Intercoastal) and had no redeeming qualities beyond being "cheap"

Not sure what the rental market is now, but finding something not ghetto, that's not an hour or more from the gate, and under $1000/mo would have been rough when I was a JO there in 03-06.

One of the "problems" is NAS JAX and Mayport are in the same "city" and JAX has a lot more non ghetto, reasonably priced areas within a reasonable drive than Mayport, but they both get the same BAH (but if goes much further if you are at NAS JAX)

The rental market is much better now than in '06...or even '08 when I was looking. I don't know what O-1 BAH is, but you may have to pay a little more, but you can still get a nice place in the area without too much of a commute. For me, after commuting 30 minutes in Milton, I valued short commute over "beach access," which worked out well for me in a ~1600 sqft house for a little less than $1300. And yes, I know an O-1 BAH is less than that.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yeah Still do. I mean I may have been almost murdered, but statistically its a very safe neighborhood, and its very friendly. I would say in the aftermath of my experience I am even more of a fan of the area because of how supportive all of my neighbors have been.
So about that girl next door....

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Yeah Still do. I mean I may have been almost murdered, but statistically its a very safe neighborhood, and its very friendly. I would say in the aftermath of my experience I am even more of a fan of the area because of how supportive all of my neighbors have been.
I read the story, thought, what a badass, driving himself to the hospital. Then I thought, if you really were a badass, the other guy woulda been in the hospital! I'm still shocked this happened, I didn't hear a word about it on the news or from anyone in the area. Glad to hear you're ok

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I read the story, thought, what a badass, driving himself to the hospital. Then I thought, if you really were a badass, the other guy woulda been in the hospital! I'm still shocked this happened, I didn't hear a word about it on the news or from anyone in the area. Glad to hear you're ok

Well what you read on the news isn't what happened. I didnt walk into the garage unarmed 'investigating' anything. I thought I left a light on. Rest assured if I had any idea someone was in there I wouldn't have put my pistol away and I would have brought my 80lb German Shepherd along with me.