• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jarhead Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadsword2004

I personally didn't see really anything in "Jarhead" that they could make a movie out of. Swofford is just brilliant at marketing I guess. His book was "required reading" for my freshman college year.

The book "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason would've been a much better book to let college students read IMO with how it portrays war; I'm surprised they haven't made a movie out of that (maybe Mason is afraid they'd butcher it).

They are also making a movie about Army Rangers with John Travolta, called "Basic," I heard.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
theblakeness said:
Yeah and it was the biggest load of crap I have ever seen.

That movie sucked big, i agree. There is this seen right before they get in the helo's to go train in the hurricane...and Sam L Jackson is walking around with SPC-4 rank on and he's supposed to be like a Master Sgt or something.

I can't watch a single movie about war without noticing how crappy the people wear the uniform and can't even fake a half-decent hand salute.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
theblakeness said:
Yeah and it was the biggest load of crap I have ever seen.

I saw it on an American Airlines flight from LHR-MIA. It was so bad, I almost asked AAL for a partial refund on my fare. :icon_mi_5 :icon_mi_5

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Wolfpack02 said:
NAH Worm, i think you were more in the shot than I was. Where do you think you'll go on monday?

Hopefully they got a shot of me flipping the camera off.

I hear the weather isn't going to be so good tomorrow, but otherwise, Hooters up in Tennessee sounds pretty tasty.

doubledown

Am I the only one who thinks "Jarhead" portrayed the Marines poorly? He constantly made it seem like hell to be a Marine and that it was almost disgraceful to be one. I can't speak from experience but that's my take on it.

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
Michael W said:
Hear they are making a movie/have made a movie about Fallujah, that outta be pretty tight.

Heard that, too. Harrison Ford as the CG (Mattis?). Gotta be a record between the actual battle and major studio movie. I mean, some of those guys are still in theater.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Am I the only one who thinks "Jarhead" portrayed the Marines poorly? He constantly made it seem like hell to be a Marine and that it was almost disgraceful to be one. I can't speak from experience but that's my take on it.

Every Marine I know thinks that Jarhead portrayed the Marine Corps poorly.

When I was reading it, every Staff NCO that saw me told me to throw that trash away.

perchul

Well thats the thing about the book its told through 18-22 year old eyes and ears. While I can't confirm that all the things he says are true I think everyone misses the perspective of the book. If your a staff NCO I doubt your 22, odds are by then you understand things better. Everyone keeps on knocking the book like its a bunch of lies, or a bitter criticism of the Corps, but he's telling it through how he felt then and what he thought then. The man is bound to understand that without the Corps he'd be no one right now. I didn't get the impression the he viewed the Marine Corps as the mistake for myself I took it as a tale of how a 20 yr old Lance Corporal feels about his predicament at points. I'm not going to say that he didn't write it with a slant because obviously he did, but thats why its a memoir and not a definitive text on the Corps

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
While I can agree that the book is not what we are used to when refering to books about the Corps., I can defend it to an extent...

I love being a Marine but I am not ''moto'' by any means. I thoroughly enjoy doing my job and in that I take a lot of pride in it. Having said that, I was a boot PFC before and during the opening stages of OIF One. During the waiting game at the LSAs in Kuwait many of us (PFCs, LCpls, Cpls, etc.) saw things as he depicts in his book. That's just how we felt. It is not that we hated the Marines, we just didn't have the time in and experience to see the reason behind all the f**k f**k games. After picking up some rank and in turn experiencing more things I do not think that way anymore. But WE did then. And in that I can in some ways agree with him and his ''views'' during his time in.

Like I said, it is not that I am condoning his writings, but having been in the same situation in a combat zone I can relate to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.