• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Jarhead" movie?

hendogg311

I know the movie hasn't come out yet but does anyone have any thoughts on the movie. I haven't read the book it is supposedly based off of but those who I talked to said the book basically bashes the Marine Corps. Also a member of my TBS class was prior enlisted recon who actually knew Anthony Swofford and he said the guy was a dirtbag. I know I'm going off of rumors just curious what the rest of you think.

thatgnarlyguy

I liked the book. Anthony tells about how the enlisted corps. Yes, there are some bad PR points to the book but in all it gives you a look into being an enlisted Marine. I recommend reading the book you won't put it down.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
they don't tell you what everyone thinks of the movie/book, just those particular people who posted. more opinions than are already posted can be shared; it's not like a post asking a question that has one answer which doesn't ever change.

Crowbar

None
they don't tell you what everyone thinks of the movie/book, just those particular people who posted. more opinions than are already posted can be shared; it's not like a post asking a question that has one answer which doesn't ever change.

You gonna give your opinion or whine about referencing old threads?

tspell314

Morty07
I personally liked the book. Yeah, he does say some bad things that happened during HIS career but at least he told it. If you can tell me one Marine who hasnt had $hitty experiences during his career, that would probably be a first. Do I agree with everything he has to say, absolutley not, but at least he told it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard he was very anti-officer. I haven't read the book. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I personally liked the book. Yeah, he does say some bad things that happened during HIS career but at least he told it. If you can tell me one Marine who hasnt had $hitty experiences during his career, that would probably be a first. Do I agree with everything he has to say, absolutley not, but at least he told it.

Fly Navy said:
I heard he was very anti-officer. I haven't read the book. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

From what I have heard, he made up some of the experiences in order to make the book have a bigger impact though I can't confirm that. I don't remember him making many if any officer references one way or another...

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
There is one part of the book where a major makes him wait to burn the $hitters until he's done with his morning duty, and Swoff *****es about that, but that's about all I can remember.

There's many who say he used urban legends from throughout Corps to beef up the story. He probably did. The book opens with a statement of, "this is niether fact nor fiction, but what I've experienced". Take it for what you will, but I recommend this book. It a quick, easy, and entertaining read.

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
for me? enjoyed the book, looking forward to the movie. i'm not a marine, though.

as far as the whole 'shedding a negative light' concern, i agree with what was posted before: sh!t happens. it happens to other people, and if it hasn't happened to you, it will. i'd be headed for a different line of work if i wasn't ok with understanding that.

Crowbar

None

As you can read in my posts in the other threads I enjoyed the book. I didn't agree with everything it said (like just about every book I read) but it was a good read. I remember while reading it thinking that some of it was completely horse s-hit. But I also remember reading parts of it and thinking "I feel this guy's pain" when he was describing things he didn't like about the Marine Corps.

I seem to remember one part of the book where Swofford made a big deal about an officer who wouldn't let him (Swofford) call in a CAS (maybe it was an artillery/mortar) request. Swofford turned the whole story into a big 'screw this guy, who the hell does he think he is?' event. Obviously I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened, but what I took away from that passage was that Swofford was pissed because this officer was being a glory hound. My thinking was that what really made him mad was that the author was a glory hound, too, and didn't like having it taken away from him, so he made a big deal about how officers are bad people.

Anyway, I still think the movie will suck.