• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

DFSpence

Are you a runner? I'm not in shape yet but I know that even if I go to OCS in shape, most guys will still beat me. The fastest I'll probably get down to is about 9:30, even when I am in shape.

You will definitely destroy me with a 9:30. At least right now. :icon_tong

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I will always be in the 10:00 - 11:00 1.5 mile category tops. I have a short quick stride. I'm good at all the other PT stuff..I just can't get my head into running for nothing. I can chase a ball or play a sport all day long but just running..I feel like one of those lab rats running on an exercise wheel.

In high school though I did run the 40 in 4.55 , that's pretty quick for a non-track/college football type guy :)

Charity

Final Select SNA
I love biking. I wish we had more to ride here in Fort Worth, but oh well. I get to ride my Kona every once and a while. I have to say that it's the first bike i've had with disk brakes, and they're incredible.

Is that a road bike or a mtn bike? I used to ride my mtn bike at Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose and it was fun. I also went to Cleburne State Park and almost killed myself and never went back, it was horrible. There is a State Park in Tyler but I never ride my mtn bike anymore. I only go to to swim across the lake and run on the huge hills. I ride with ETTriathletes and The Tyler Bike Club on the road.

Charity

Final Select SNA
I don't have much speed, to me a 5k is like a sprint, so I don't like anything shorter than a 10k which is 6 miles. I hate 1.5 miles.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
I've wanted to ride all those places but haven't gotten to do that. Kona makes many different types. I do have a mountain bike. I have heard great things about Cedar Hill State Park off of I20 and Belt line...I think it's Belt line/beltline...from Tyler it's the exit right after Mountain Creek Pkwy heading west on 20. I believe it costs $5-10 to ride at the park; but, I've heard great things about it.

Charity

Final Select SNA
I've wanted to ride all those places but haven't gotten to do that. Kona makes many different types. I do have a mountain bike. I have heard great things about Cedar Hill State Park off of I20 and Belt line...I think it's Belt line/beltline...from Tyler it's the exit right after Mountain Creek Pkwy heading west on 20. I believe it costs $5-10 to ride at the park; but, I've heard great things about it.

I think I've heard of it. I huff and puff when I'm on my mtn bike, it's a lot different than road biking.

Charity

Final Select SNA
It's time for me to go run now. All this computer stuff is horrible for my eyes!! lol jk I will get my eye situation taken care of.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
I used to run a lot, but me+college=lazy. Trying to get back in the groove, but I'm nowhere near being able to run a marathon again. Now if they had pull-ups on the PRT...

DFSpence

Just went for a run, did 3 miles in 22:25. I'm going to try to get that down to 18:00 for OCS though. I did a 6 mile in 48:24 last week - I was pleased with that. I need to find a group of runners faster than me, I know thats how I will really improve my time.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
From friends that went to OCS, I think many of the "longer" runs...are done in a group. I heard the longest distance you'll ever run is around 3 miles.

I would also focus on just gaining lower back and leg strength for the beatings we will face.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Charity, most guys (non-runners) will run around a 10:30 1.5 mile, or roughly a 7 min mile. I used to run a 4:50 mile and 8:50 1.5 mile (perfect score for AFROTC's PFT) but that was about five years ago and 30 pounds less, plus I had been running 4-8 miles per day since I was 15 so that made a difference. I was a mid-distance runner in HS (800m and 1500/1600m) so I was conditioned for both the longer runs and the shorter sprint work...most people are not.

Most are coming into their application in a similar shape as I am now...slightly overweight and out of shape (due to a desk job...), and busting out 1.5 in around 10:30 and up to 12 mins. My first practice PRT (at home on my own) I had a 12:30 since I was dealing with severe shin splints from working out too hard too soon - in addition to heart rate and bloodpressure issues - but those all have disappeared with hard work and healthy dieting the past two months. But I'm still at around 10:30, and probably won't get to the nines until another two months or more (and at least 20 pounds less).

9:30 is usually a stellar time for women, and even if I get back to my 8:50 you won't be too far behind me, and you'll definitely have about 95% of the guys and 99% of the gals behind you. If I were all of you, I'd add some variety and swap some of the mileage for some sprint and agility work...too many miles can be a detriment and (like in my case) can cause more harm than good with shin splints and severe fatiguing, etc. I've been doing a lot of cycle work - 8-10 miles a day at high resistance and high speed - and have really found it benefitial as opposed to high impact long runs. If you really want to be a beast physically overall, add some swimming workouts to the routine...say, half mile every other day? That and the sprint/agility work in the others will have you toned better than ever, AND I guarantee that your distance stamina and speed will gain (you'll have more power to kick out and run a longer stride, as opposed to shorter but many, many more strides).

That all helped me break the 5:00 mile mark, perfect score my AF PFT's everytime, and now it's already helping me get back into shape yet again just a month into it (no more shin splints too).....just my $0.02 for this week, lol.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Charity, most guys (non-runners) will run around a 10:30 1.5 mile, or roughly a 7 min mile. I used to run a 4:50 mile and 8:50 1.5 mile (perfect score for AFROTC's PFT) but that was about five years ago and 30 pounds less, plus I had been running 4-8 miles per day since I was 15 so that made a difference. I was a mid-distance runner in HS (800m and 1500/1600m) so I was conditioned for both the longer runs and the shorter sprint work...most people are not.

Most are coming into their application in a similar shape as I am now...slightly overweight and out of shape (due to a desk job...), and busting out 1.5 in around 10:30 and up to 12 mins. My first practice PRT (at home on my own) I had a 12:30 since I was dealing with severe shin splints from working out too hard too soon - in addition to heart rate and bloodpressure issues - but those all have disappeared with hard work and healthy dieting the past two months. But I'm still at around 10:30, and probably won't get to the nines until another two months or more (and at least 20 pounds less).

9:30 is usually a stellar time for women, and even if I get back to my 8:50 you won't be too far behind me, and you'll definitely have about 95% of the guys and 99% of the gals behind you. If I were all of you, I'd add some variety and swap some of the mileage for some sprint and agility work...too many miles can be a detriment and (like in my case) can cause more harm than good with shin splints and severe fatiguing, etc. I've been doing a lot of cycle work - 8-10 miles a day at high resistance and high speed - and have really found it benefitial as opposed to high impact long runs. If you really want to be a beast physically overall, add some swimming workouts to the routine...say, half mile every other day? That and the sprint/agility work in the others will have you toned better than ever, AND I guarantee that your distance stamina and speed will gain (you'll have more power to kick out and run a longer stride, as opposed to shorter but many, many more strides).

That all helped me break the 5:00 mile mark, perfect score my AF PFT's everytime, and now it's already helping me get back into shape yet again just a month into it (no more shin splints too).....just my $0.02 for this week, lol.

I know, I don't run all these miles slow. I run mile repeats once per week to help improve VO2 max, which will definitely be beneficial for the 1.5 mile runs. I also do speedwork from 100 to 400 meters once per week and I also do lactate threshold runs to help keep my pace for my long races. I'm training for a 10k and possibly an olympic distance triathlon, so I think the mileage for me is necessary. I have never trained specifically for anything less than a 5k, but I know I can improve my 1.5 mile time quite a bit through my training.

Charity

Final Select SNA
well...having ran it the second week of January, you have beat me by 12 seconds. I will pwn you. :D

haha, but remember, this was the first 1.5 miles of the entire race. I still had to complete the first 5k run, ride my bike 21 miles, and run another 5k.

rbwill2

i'm looking for some help...

I sent in my COMPLETED app in mid NOV and took the ASTB DEC19. I thought the FEB boards were realistic, but OR told me more like MAR. Now, he's telling me APR. Is anyone else dealing with this? If this is the way it is, then fine. But my main concern is that my application is sitting around on my ORs desk, just waiting for him to finalize it, then my application will be thrown in the shuffle with everyone else's AT THE END OF THE LINE.

I understand this is a long process. But I know for a fact that all my LORs were in before JAN. My job references weren't long behind. I've asked my OR if there is ANYTHING I can be doing to speed up the process, and all he's said is he'll have me come in "sometime to dot all the I's and cross the T's." I take everything I hear on here with a grain of salt, but from what I've heard not many other people have waited this long. My OR also told me the boards were very backed up, but I see on here that they scrapped the 50 app rule.

I don't want to tick my OR off, but is it time to light a fire under him?

kashmir

SWO BDCP
I feel your pain as I am sure all of us do. It does take awhile. I started this process in July of 2008 and finally made it the first time up this Jan. What you refered to as "dotting the i's and crossing the t's" is what took the most time for me. It seemed like every week my OR was calling me saying I need to fix this and revise that. My package even made it there before Nov. 1 but my OR said that there was a problem on the board side things and of course they did not board in Dec. Like you, I was quick to get everything my OR asked. Before my package was submited I completed everything including MEPS and Security clearances. That may have been what took soo long. From reading these blogs I know some people did that stuff after Pro-rec'd.

I would say this is normal although I am sure people have gotten in sooner. Just keep in touch with your OR and have patience.