• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jan/Feb/Mar Boards

egd33

pilot
Contributor
Pro rec'd Pilot and NFO!

My OR doesn't work Fridays so I'm going to have to wait until Monday to talk to him...but I'm also in a rush to get PRK done (20/30 vision) so that hopefully I can clear the waiver period before whatever OCS date they give me. You guys think I should just schedule it before talking to my OR or wait? It could push back my PRK by a full week if I wait until Monday to hear my pro rec officially.

Why would you get PRK with 20/30?? I do not think a reputable doctor would even perform it on you, and you are already within standards as long as you can see 20/20 with correction. You will not get an OCS date until after you have the waiver, which means 6 months of waiting, plus however long the waiver takes to go through (mine only took like 2 weeks after the 6 months, but YMMV), which means you would be lucky to even get a date this calendar year. Also, considering PRK will medically DQ you until you can get the waiver at 6 months, you may lose the spot entirely. Do not get it unless you absolutely have to have it done.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
Scratch that! I think my OR must have been telepathically summoned, as he just called and confirmed my selection. Besides the fact that he called me on Friday (his normal hours are Mon-Thurs), the real surprise was when I asked him about my PRK (which I had discussed with him before). He said I don't need it, which was NOT what he told me when I asked him about it a few months ago. Today he told me as long as you have 20/40 or better correctable to 20/20 with contacts/glasses, you don't need surgery. I was under the impression that you needed 20/40 or better to be eligible to get PRK so that you could then have 20/20 to fly.

Anyway, next step is to get my security clearance and MEPS taken care of. Congrats to everyone selected, and enjoy the weekend!

You beat my response by a few seconds, but yes that is correct. 20/40 without correction is good enough that a PRK/LASIK surgeon should almost be unwilling to even perform the surgery, especially your 20/30. I had more like 20/500 (-5.0 prescription) (though once you get to a certain point like 20/200 or so it does not even matter any more because you just cannot see anything far at all) and had no trouble with my PRK waiver (20/20 now, though even with PRK you are allowed 20/40 uncorrected). Be very happy you do not need it as it saves you thousands and removes the inherent risks of surgery.

Ah ok, that makes sense. However, I had messaged NavyOffRec asking him what being selected for both means and he responded with what I mentioned earlier.

That may very well be true then. I have no experience with it personally since my board in August only selected for pilots and I did not even put NFO down because of that, but I remember reading it in the past on here, which of course does not make it necessarily factual and of course the rules/standards can change as well.

Ashfrank

T-45C instructor, airline guy
Pro rec'd for SNA. Really pumped. Went into NRD this morning to get fingerprinted and my SF 86 finished up. MEPS scheduled for next week.

exNavyOffRec

I thought it went by whatever order they were listed. For instance, if he had pilot #1 and NFO as 2 that he would have to go pilot unless something happened like medical DQ for pilot (but not NFO). I am sure NavyOffRec can clear that up though, but I am sure they ask you order of preference for a reason.
You are automatically processed for the highest preference you are selected for, however you can before a FS letter comes out write a letter requesting to be processed for choice 2 vice 1 and then state a reason.

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Pro-rec for pilot and nfo!
Getting paperwork for MEPS filled out.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with information.

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
A lot of people were made happy by this board. Christmas come early or late? Congrats to all, by the way.

Just waiting on official word from my OR here.

natheo

FS SNA, July 8
I'm in the same boat. Someone did mention earlier that their recruiter isn't available on Fridays, so I'm hoping that's why I haven't heard from him officially. I'm anxious to hear from him though, as I've already been through MEPS and I believe I just need to sign on the dotted line.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
I'm in the same boat. Someone did mention earlier that their recruiter isn't available on Fridays, so I'm hoping that's why I haven't heard from him officially. I'm anxious to hear from him though, as I've already been through MEPS and I believe I just need to sign on the dotted line.

You should not have to sign anything until your FS is processed if all the other paperwork (SF86, MEPS) is done. You do not actually sign anything for the pro-rec.

natheo

FS SNA, July 8
You should not have to sign anything until your FS is processed if all the other paperwork (SF86, MEPS) is done. You do not actually sign anything for the pro-rec.

I didn't think I had to, I just meant for the FS. SF86 is good to go as well. By processed, I assume that the FS is going to take a bit. I'd really just like to know which class I'll be showing up for!

egd33

pilot
Contributor
I didn't think I had to, I just meant for the FS. SF86 is good to go as well. By processed, I assume that the FS is going to take a bit. I'd really just like to know which class I'll be showing up for!

My FS took about two months after the pro-rec to go into the system, but I had to have a waiver that I was not even eligible for until 5 weeks after getting my pro-rec and I had also not gone through MEPS either. Once I sent in the 6 month paperwork for my waiver I had it within 2 weeks, and my FS/OCS date happened about the same time. However, it took another month and a half before it was actually signed. I finally swore in 2 months after first hearing my (unsigned) FS went into the system, but others I talked to had theirs signed very quickly, so YMMV heavily on this. Having MEPS done prior should definitely help speed things up though, but once again YMMV as things timelines are different every time.

rashguard

Still haven't heard anything from my OR or processor. Anxiety is killing me. Can anyone look for me please?
Matthew Sloan McDonald NRD Cleveland

Congrats to all!

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
Pro-rec for Supply!!!

Male/21/non-prior
3.68 International Business/Economics
OAR: 56

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
I spoke to the Fleet OCS processors and they don't have the results to input into BUPERS! I think when he found out I knew he was very upset with the people in charge of sending results. He said he was going to fix it so hopefully we see them on BOL soon!