• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jan/Feb/Mar Boards

exNavyOffRec

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology 100505.pdf

According to the US Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver guide, Ophthalmology, section 12.5:

WAIVER:
PRK General Guidelines:
A waiver may be submitted no earlier than:
a.
3 months for myopia less than -6.00 diopters spherical equivalent (SE)
b.
6 months for myopia greater than or equal to -6.00 diopters SE
c.
6 months for hyperopia (SE) measured under cycloplegia
Visual Acuity - each eye with or without corrective lenses must be:
a.
Class I - 20/20-0/10 letters
b.
Class II and III - 20/20-3/10 letters or better
c.
Corrective lenses must be worn while flying if needed to achieve the VA standard
A normal postoperative slit lamp exam
There must be no symptoms that would be cause for concern when considering the performance of the member’s usual flight duties
If topical medication is still required (other than artificial tears), then restriction of flight activities to the local area would be prudent.
An enhancement or “touch-up” must meet the same guidelines.
Additional guidelines:
Applicants:
May obtain PRK at their expense from civilian sources of care.
Pre-operative refractive error measured under cycloplegia must not exceed - 8.00 to + 3.00 (SE) and 3.00 diopters of cylinder.
Anisometropia should not exceed 3.50 diopters (using SE for each eye).
SNA applicants must meet refractive, cycloplegic, and vision standards postoperatively.

I had my vision checked about 3 weeks ago. I've had my ups and downs with my eyesight, but looks like I'll squeak in with a max refractive error of -7.00 in one eye. From what I gather, I would just have to wait 6 months instead of 3. Also, according to the document, the Navy does have a "LASIK in student aviators" study in progress. Refer to section 12.15B. The LASIK study has the same pre-op limits, but you must be screened at one of the 10 locations conducting the survey after the surgery, not just your civilian post-op checkups. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't mean to hijack this thread either.

I also understand that these are guidelines, and NAMI has the final say in the waiver. I'm going to try to do everything I can to make this happen. Thankfully I have another 1-2 years before I graduate so maybe things will change who knows.
New accessions are covered under Navy Medical Manual not NAMI, unless you meet those requirements NAMI doesn't see your record, in addition if you don't have a 6 month checkup regardless of what pre op vision was they will make no call and put "resubmit with 6 month evaluation"

Z-Man

full deflection
New accessions are covered under Navy Medical Manual not NAMI, unless you meet those requirements NAMI doesn't see your record, in addition if you don't have a 6 month checkup regardless of what pre op vision was they will make no call and put "resubmit with 6 month evaluation"

When did this happen? All the information I've been reading states that you just have to meet the guidelines listen on the NAMI Waiver. What's the point of the NAMI Waiver then? Could you link me to this? I tried searching for that document, but can't find it.

exNavyOffRec

When did this happen? All the information I've been reading states that you just have to meet the guidelines listen on the NAMI Waiver. What's the point of the NAMI Waiver then? Could you link me to this? I tried searching for that document, but can't find it.
It has been this way for a while, a few that have been here longer than me have had a few try and the only one that was given a waiver was for NUPOC. One of the individuals pushed and the process took nearly 2 years before he was told no is no.
If you desire to pursue than that is your choice, but you want to do what is going to maximize your chances, so PRK not LASIK, and allow time, you can get medically cleared prior to submitting an application.

http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/ManMed/Manmed.htm

Z-Man

full deflection
It has been this way for a while, a few that have been here longer than me have had a few try and the only one that was given a waiver was for NUPOC. One of the individuals pushed and the process took nearly 2 years before he was told no is no.
If you desire to pursue than that is your choice, but you want to do what is going to maximize your chances, so PRK not LASIK, and allow time, you can get medically cleared prior to submitting an application.

http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/ManMed/Manmed.htm

I've never seen this before today, I guess it was because not many people try for pilot when their eyes are as bad as mine. So you're saying I have no chance, even with PRK? I still don't understand why there are two subsections: "For commission in the Navy Unrestricted Line" and "For entry into a program leading to a commission in the Navy Unrestricted Line." One states the limit as -8.00 and one -6.00. I fall under entry into a program, OCS, but why are they different? :(

I believe I still have a shot at SNFO right?

exNavyOffRec

I've never seen this before today, I guess it was because not many people try for pilot when their eyes are as bad as mine. So you're saying I have no chance, even with PRK? I still don't understand why there are two subsections: "For commission in the Navy Unrestricted Line" and "For entry into a program leading to a commission in the Navy Unrestricted Line." One states the limit as -8.00 and one -6.00. I fall under entry into a program, OCS, but why are they different? :(

I believe I still have a shot at SNFO right?
One of the requirements covers specific designators, the other covers OCS.
I hate to say no chance because I am not the doc at N3M, if you want to get PRK and invest the time than give it a shot and have no regrets at the end no matter what the outcome.

LLLLL

Is there any way to find out if your pakage will actually be seen by the board? My package was in on time but the processor in millington told me there would probably be a cut off at x amount of applicants and if it wasn't in that first group it would be seen by the following board. Any ideas?

exNavyOffRec

Is there any way to find out if your pakage will actually be seen by the board? My package was in on time but the processor in millington told me there would probably be a cut off at x amount of applicants and if it wasn't in that first group it would be seen by the following board. Any ideas?
That was something they have talked about doing in the future but I was told they are not going to do that, right now they only have about 200 pilot applications for about 70 spots.

mjv305

ENS SNA
When will we know if we made it to the board? 70 out of 200. Even with my supreme time constraint I like those chances...

exNavyOffRec

more info below.

"recent revisions on the latest draft FY12 goals received within the last 48 hours, NFO FY12 goal are shown going up slightly from what was previously expected."

"Due to the increase in our expected goal in FY12 NFO, we no longer have enough activity to cover this increase. Since this change has occurred within the last 48 hours, I don’t have time to notify the field and solicit and process more NFO kits for this upcoming board occurring on 23Jan. From the ~200 Pilot kit at board, many of these have NFO listed as an alternative option. Therefore, to allow NRC to at least get the ball rolling on identifying additional NFO selects to put us into a position to once again have enough activity to make this expected increase in our NFO goals, this month's board will go ahead and pick 10-15 NFOs from the stack of kits on hand, in addition to picking the Pilots needed for FY12. These 10-15 additional NFO, over what we already have in processing, should give us enough activity to cover this expected increase in goal."

exNavyOffRec

numbers
194 at board for Supply for a few spots
166 at board for Pilot for about 70 spots
114 at board for NFO for 10-15 spots

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
Well, hindsight is 20/20. I don't believe I or my recruiter put NFO on my application, since we believed this board was only for Pilot and NFO may come in April, resubmitting for that. But, once again, good luck to all as the date comes closer.

Of course, maybe he did put NFO down. I'll have to ask him.

mjv305

ENS SNA
From what I can deduce, nobody put in NFO as their first and only choice. Therefore, there are 166 applicants for 85 total spots (SNA & NFO) = 51% chance (if you put both on your app).. Smiles..