• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iwo Jima anniversary

PBF

On February 19, 1945 the battle for the Japanese Island of Iwo Jima began.

The Marines invaded the shores after a naval gun bombardment, with the objective of seizing control of the airfields on the volcanic island. The heavily fortified island was fraught with bunkers, artillery gun emplacements, and a maze of underground tunnels for the Japanese soldiers.

Over 6,000 Americans were Killed, Missing, or died of wounds during fighting that lasted 37 days. The strategic importance of Iwo Jima meant control of the half-way point for B-29's flying to Tokyo.

In my documentary film “Pappy Boyington Field", I had the privilege of interviewing an Iwo Jima Marine who was part of the airfield naming effort. Robert Rohrscheib shared memories of the landing at Iwo Jima, and also provided commentary about the battle against bureaucracy to honor Pappy. In the winter of their years, many WWII Veterans are still fighting the good fight.

Semper Fi

PBF

jack sherwood, an iwo vet lives near me. after 19 days on the island, a sniper got him with dum dum ammo. i visit him from time to time. got him a copy of "the pacific" series on dvd. it was a real honor to watch it with him.

Ed,
I'm curious if you can share if Mr. Sherwood has any thoughts on "The Pacific" series, any aspects he particularly enjoyed or didn't?

It's interesting to me to hear what WWII Vets thought of the series.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
http://digital.timesreview.com/pdfEdition_show_pdf.php?file=tst_03182010_a_25.pdf
http://shelterislandreporter.timesreview.com/2010/08/2237/wwii-veteran-checks-one-off-his-bucket-list%E2%80%A9/

jack is still sharp as a tack. he did not get medically discharged till 1948.
when asked about his decision to join the usmc, he responds,

"i'd do it again in a heartbeat."

watching the 'pacific' series with him was quite intense. he didn't say much but i swear i could feel what he was thinking.he thaought the production was great.