• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is there a minimum number of credits per semester for non-scholarship midshipmen?

AirAggie92

I'm hoping to join NROTC this fall and as of yet, I will not be on a scholarship. I know that for scholarship midshpmen the minimum is 15 credits per semester, is there a minimum for just the College Program?

Thank you for your response.

EDIT: At least I've heard that 15 hours is on the TAMUG website.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
I'm hoping to join NROTC this fall and as of yet, I will not be on a scholarship. I know that for scholarship cadets the minimum is 15 credits per semester, is there a minimum for just the College Program?

Thank you for your response.

Midshipmen? But to answer your question, at least at our unit, even the CP'ers had to submit a degree completion program to their unit staff advisor that would ensure they graduated on time if they picked up a scholarship/advanced standing

JhwK08

I don't know where you heard that 15 credit hours is the minimum. I took 14 last semester (5 year engineering program) and there was no problem at all. Maybe that was because that's what my degree plan laid out for me, but the only credit hour limitation I've ever heard of was being a full-time student (12 hours)

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
yep, being a senior i only have to take 12 credits next year both semesters, including navsci, and i'll have more than enough credits to graduate. would've taken less but I need to carry enough credits to be a full time student

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
well only take 12 hours if that's all you need to take. you may need to take more than 15 credits as an underclassman to keep on schedule. for example, i had to carry 22 credits each semester freshman year because of the rotc class. it's normal for freshmen, sophomores and even juniors depending on major to have to carry 18

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
FWIW, most fellow Midshipmen do somewhere between 15-20 hours on average in order to fulfill their major reqs. You might want to look at doing a bit more than just the minimum if you want to be considered for the scholarship. Not being a smartass, just saying it like it is. Unless you have 30+ AP credits, you probably won't be completing any legit majors in the 4 year time frame by doing 12 credit hours.

AirAggie92

FWIW, most fellow Midshipmen do somewhere between 15-20 hours on average in order to fulfill their major reqs. You might want to look at doing a bit more than just the minimum if you want to be considered for the scholarship. Not being a smartass, just saying it like it is. Unless you have 30+ AP credits, you probably won't be completing any legit majors in the 4 year time frame by doing 12 credit hours.

Dually noted. However, I actually have 46 college credits right now =)

Immy

46 and you're going to be a Freshman?

How is that possible? That's one and a half years of college coursework. You must be one motivated guy.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

Who cares if they're 'legit' any degree will get you in the cockpit :)

Will_T

Will_T
46 and you're going to be a Freshman?

How is that possible? That's one and a half years of college coursework. You must be one motivated guy.

You can enter NROTC at any time during your freshman or sophmore year. Its more likely that he's a sophmore.

AirAggie92

Hey everyone, thank you very much for the replies. What happened is that I essentially "skipped" high school and took all college credit instead. I have a high school diploma but college classes are used to complete it (as in, I have a ton of "Dual Credit"). I am a freshman by age (I'm 18) but not for scholarship consideration.

Hope this helps explain it.

Immy

I figured you were a Freshman from your username (1992 = 18), that makes sense. Good call on that, taking classes in college you already took in high school sucks.