• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is LASEK preferred over PRK?

Bernie Kosar

I will be getting eye surgery and have a quick (and I believe new) PRK question. I have been told by military recruiters that LASEK (with an e) is preferred over PRK and that it may be easier to get a waiver with LASEK. Has anybody else told to get LASEK instead of PRK and if so what is the reason why?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Bernie Kosar

Thanks for the help. After I made my first post I spoke with a military recruiter (a different one than the other recruiter that told me LASEK was the way to go). The other recruiter told me that LASEK would only be allowed in the future. I do not want to confuse anyone, but I want to make sure that I am getting the right surgery. Of course, the recruiter has access to information that I do not know. I’m curious if anybody on the inside has heard the same thing (that PRK would not be allowed in the future)? I am also curious if anybody else has recently been told by their recruiter to get LASEK instead of PRK? Is it possible that somehow my recruiters got bad information and that PRK will no longer be allowed in the future?

Strongly suggest you get multiple confirmations from NAMI that LASEK is ok before getting the surgery. PRK is the only acceptable procedure unless something has recently changed.

Bernie Kosar

Direct Quote from that site:
"[SIZE=-1]Type of surgery: PRK (including LASEK)"[/SIZE]

I apologize. The waiver guide defines PRK and states LASEK is a variant. I missed that part.

AppleCello

Three weeks since my PRK, and my left eye is still somewhat blurry. I never had any real discomfort, but healing time can be loooong.

That said, I am seeing 20/20 combined (and even better from my right eye). My left eye should be 20/20 or better in the next week or so. its just taking some time.

jrodlandruff

AirWinger
LASEK is not waiverable if you plan on flying. I got PRK about three weeks ago through the Navy because it is the only thing waiverable (I am aircrew on CH-46). The opthamalogist at NTC San diego that did my surgery said that in October they would begin their study on LASEK to see if it causes any problems flying vice PRK so God only knows how long it will be before it is waiverable. There are lots of guys that went and got LASEK thinking it was waiverable, but it isn't for aircrew. I know somebody (crewchief) that got NJP'd for paying out of pocket to get LASEK because he could not fly anymore after he got it. BTW three days after PRK I was seeing 20/15 and eyesight has been rock solid every since, no blurriness, no halo's. I was 20/400 in one eye and 20/100 in the other before surgery. The doctor said I am one of the extreme few with no problems. LASEK is waiverable for just joining the military if that's all you want.