• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it over?

hollowman

Hi all, first id like to thank all who contribute to this great website, and those who read my post and those who respond to it.

My story in a nut-shell. I WAS PRO-REC back in march, and I was asked to go to OCS late march then April. But For family reasons i was unable to go (Basically, both my parents were laid off due to the economic down turn, which let my sister and I to take over all the house payments as we had to support a family of 6. I couldnt forgo my salary, so i kept on delaying until i couldnt delay no more, and i my slot was given to someone else.) I contacted my recruiter again 2 months ago, basically 2 months after this whole ordeal, and i explained to him my situation and why i couldnt go back then. He was very understanding, and asked me to write all on a paper, sign and send. which i did of course.

Bc i did well on my astb's had a good GPA, and really good recommendation letters, i was assured that i should be ok. My recruiter even went a step further saying that i may not have to go to the board, i may just have to go to OCS (since i was selected previously).

Unfortunately, My package wasnt sent for the sept board bc it was full. it was sent over to the october board instead. I call the navy recruiting station today to check on a status update, and the processor informed that i have to redo my package again, bc i was accepted more than 6 months ago (though im not of that, as i was informed of the acceptance back in march.) Now, she wasnt sure what that meant, as my recruiter was in a national conference for recruiters.

Now, here is why im freaking out, im 26 years old (july 29-1983), and im not sure what does redoing my package mean? i remember it was a very long tedious process when i did it, anywhere between the SF-86 forms, and rec letters etc. does that mean i have to redo all that? if so, that means ill be missing the october board, am i right? when will the next board be? what can i do to speed the process? is that anything i should? some of my rec letters have been written over a year ago, what if i cant get a hold of those people? (why do the recommendation letters expire? i mean what people thought of me then is still the same as they do now)

Please advise if you need further details about myself, i dont mind sharing, i just wasnt sure as what to put down. as you all now, the process is very long, and lots of info was asked of me.

Once again, thank you for your time and patience.

Sincerely,

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
There is a simple response to this. How much do you want this?

I commissioned with 2 months to spare before I was age disqualified. There are guys out there taking 21 hours and full summer school so they can graduate and get into OCS..

In the grand scheme of things, your situation is but a small road block. Props for stepping up for your family, but how much do you want this and are you gonna let a little thing like redoing your package get in the way of a career you always wanted?

hollowman

oh bro, i want this more than anything right now... im actually considering quitting my current job, so i could focus on this app. as i do not have much time evidently. but im wondering if there is anything i should do, like contacting the board itself and try to plea my case to them? also, if i dont make it this board, when is the next one? Any ideas to show the board how sorry i am for not going when they first accepted me (though i didnt really have much of choice, considering being caught btwn a rock and a hard place).
Again, thanks for any responses, i really appreciate any insight..

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
oh bro, i want this more than anything right now... im actually considering quitting my current job, so i could focus on this app. as i do not have much time evidently. but im wondering if there is anything i should do, like contacting the board itself and try to plea my case to them? also, if i dont make it this board, when is the next one? Any ideas to show the board how sorry i am for not going when they first accepted me (though i didnt really have much of choice, considering being caught btwn a rock and a hard place).
Again, thanks for any responses, i really appreciate any insight..

Just resubmit the same stuff over again. Aviation boards convene every month. Since you've done it once it shouldn't be tough to get the documents again...you have your transcript, LOR's, ASTB scores, MEPS physical (maybe?)...what is so time consuming, is getting them from scratch and since you have them already, it shouldn't be that much of a hassle.

You cannot just "contact" the board...work with your recruiter and resubmit if you have to. He/She should have a file of your stuff anyway, they make copies of everything.

Good luck

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Just resubmit the same stuff over again. Aviation boards convene every month. Since you've done it once it shouldn't be tough to get the documents again...you have your transcript, LOR's, ASTB scores, MEPS physical (maybe?)...what is so time consuming, is getting them from scratch and since you have them already, it shouldn't be that much of a hassle.

You cannot just "contact" the board...work with your recruiter and resubmit if you have to. He/She should have a file of your stuff anyway, they make copies of everything.

Good luck

the MEPs physical should be good for 2 years. So that should be a whole chunk of time wasted that you don't have to repeat.

It is very possible to get together a package quicky. My OR called me on 11 SEP saying that I should really get everything together for the October board since I turn 27 on July 4. He sent me everything that morning. I got my stuff together, took the ASTB on the 22nd, and he submitted everthing the same day. Yeah, I had to run around and stay on people to write my LORs, study for the ASTB, finish NASIS, etc, etc, etc.

The point is, it doesn't take as long as people make it seem. You just have to do it. If you really want this, and it sounds like you do, I'm sure you could get everything together for November.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I'm going to agree with what everyone else has said. If you want it go for it. Quitting your job? I was unemployed during this process and i made it through, but its not fun.

Still isn't. You can def work on your app when you get home, I can't imagine you're working 80-100 hours a week.....unless you're an I-Banker? Basically, if you can, keep your job and don't put yourself into a financial bind. You'll need that money to get to OCS and to pay for the up front expenses that are detailed out here on these and other forums. But if you can quit and it won't affect you, then go for it.

On the flip side, submit that explanation on paper about your situation and sign it. Do some interviews with the CO/XO of your NRD or any officer who works in the areas you want to apply towards.

I talked to my OR about my grades in undergrad (2.56 gpa). We decided that I should submit a one page paper not making excuses, but stating the reasons (much like yourself, mine were family oriented) that I felt had an adverse effects on my grades. He felt I didn't need it b/c I was in the midst of a MS program at the time with a 3.5, but I felt it couldn't hurt me.

So it sounds like you already did that, so I would submit that paper with the rest of your package. That is good information that I'm sure the board would want to know. That is your one chance to "plead" your case.

Good luck man. Get your package together and do whatever you need to do to be in time for November.

hollowman

Guys, you are awesome! my recruiter should be back tomorrow, and ill talk to him to see exactly what needs to be done. Actually, yeah i do work in finance, but not I-banker, but never the less i put around 60hrs or so (not complaining).

Now, i was unaware that i have to pay for equipment at OCS, im glad you guys brought this up, so i could ask my recruiter about this.

Here is what i dont understand, you guys are all correct, i do have copies for most of my things, and so does my recruiter, but photocopying things and shooting them over to the board would suffice? if so, why are they asking me to do this? wouldnt that be sorta redundant? (since they have my file anyway)

Once again, thank you all for your posts, i will keep you guys updated with my status. Hope fly with you guys in the future.

Thanks!