• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is a 50 on ASTB not competitive?

Merc

I recieved a 50 on my OAR and understand this is close to the median score. Is this competitive to get into OCS for intel or do I defenitly need to retake the test?

yecats99

I got a 60 on the OAR portion of the test, but just spoke to a recruiter and he said that they (Marines) really don't look at that....it's more for the Navy. The Marines are more concerned with the PFT score for OCS. Again, this is from a recruiter & they're not always right. But, take it again if anything; now you know what to expect. Good luck.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I got selected NFO with a 53 on the OAR, and was told 50+ is the competetive range for aviation. Intel, however, may be a bit more picky. I've heard people say 60+ but someone like wink or maybe a recent selectee would be better to answer this.

oztin79

I wouldn't stress too much about it. I got a 44 and was the only applicant selected nationally for Intel BDCP that month. You can still be competitive with a low ASTB score--and comparitively, you don't have a low score.

Or so I like telling myself. Good luck!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Yeah, keep in mind, the OAR is just one ingredient of the package. I'd say for the RL/SC communities, they pay more attention to your transcripts.

youearnedit

Recent Astb Score

I just took the ASTB 2 weeks ago and recieved a 39. BUT...my resume is great. I'll be getting an Masters, I have a 4.5 on my last eval, rec'd by my old XO on the Truman...among others. Any ideas? I'm going for NFO, CRYPTO, and INTEL....my rate was CTT2.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I just took the ASTB 2 weeks ago and recieved a 39. BUT...my resume is great. I'll be getting an Masters, I have a 4.5 on my last eval, rec'd by my old XO on the Truman...among others. Any ideas? I'm going for NFO, CRYPTO, and INTEL....my rate was CTT2.

To be honest, I'd retake the ASTB and then you'll be 100% solid. You got two more shots at it. I for one think you are capable of out doing that 39. Go for it man!

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
To be honest, I'd retake the ASTB and then you'll be 100% solid. You got two more shots at it. I for one think you are capable of out doing that 39. Go for it man!

The first thing I would look at is, does 39 meet the requirements for NFO (I don't remember)? After that, you have to think long and hard about re-taking it b/c you only have 2 more chances. If you were to retake it than I would study a whole hell of a lot to make sure you score where you want to.

youearnedit

good advice

I'll study more and take the test again. Thanks for the good advice! Hey RockyMtnNFO thanks for pointing out my tiny grammer error, I'll get right on that. I didn't think revising my post was a necessary task. Thank God I won't be graded on that huh. By the way, your statement: "Not in grammar I hope." is in the passive voice which weakens your statement. Try this: "I hope that you did not recieve your masters in grammer".

BackOrdered

Contributor
The first thing I would look at is, does 39 meet the requirements for NFO (I don't remember)? After that, you have to think long and hard about re-taking it b/c you only have 2 more chances. If you were to retake it than I would study a whole hell of a lot to make sure you score where you want to.

I know, I know, I just strongly believe that anyone can pull up a 39 even if it's marginal. I can't see him getting a 38 or lower twice in a row. Have you seen someone do that?

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
"Not in grammar I hope." is in the passive voice which weakens your statement.

Actually, it is not in the passive voice. For it to be passive would require, "That your master's is not in grammar was hoped by me." Not that the previous statement really works. The key to passive voice is for the object having the action done to it becomes the subject of the sentence. All his sentance was missing was a comma.

"Not in grammar, I hope."

This will help to make the comment more readable.

youearnedit

grammer

fair enough on the passive voice issue. and i would like to submit the request to not write in formal pros. i think writing an 80 page thesis allows you to take a break from grammatical issues-especially on a chat forum (which is analogous to a bar or similar informal settings). would you sign off on this? i think it is definately a strong arguement.:tongue2_1