• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IRR it is !!!

Creature

Gentleman, In now way was I complaining, not sure how that got started??? I was simply stating the situation, I'm going to enjoy my 5 month vacation the best I can....not saying I wouldn't mind getting paid and sitting around an ROTC unit for a couple hours a day, but I'm also not crying about IRR (Since I'm not on it for 6+ months). Just to clear things up.

m26

Contributor
Not a huge issue NOW, but there may be some OCS/BDCP guys hurting if it spreads there.

Obviously I hope not, but I really doubt they would/could send BDCPers to IRR. Its one thing to take NROTC students and put them on IRR. For BDCP you'd have to take someone off AD, put them on IRR, then drag them back to AD. Sounds to me (and my vast experience) like a much bigger deal. I've never heard of anything like that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Gentleman, In now way was I complaining, not sure how that got started??? I was simply stating the situation, I'm going to enjoy my 5 month vacation the best I can....not saying I wouldn't mind getting paid and sitting around an ROTC unit for a couple hours a day, but I'm also not crying about IRR (Since I'm not on it for 6+ months). Just to clear things up.

Complaining?? I don't think anyone thought you were complaining ... the rest of the thread represented just the normal Air Warriors 'jacks' and thread drifts ... that's how we roll ... that's how we flow ... :):)

I don't remember anyone saying something to the effect of: "YOU MISERABLE ASSHOLE ... YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT !!! WE HOPE YOU GO DEAF, DUMB, AND BLIND ... " !!!!

Don't worry ... we got your back ...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Granted the NROTC guys are already in a strange status akin to IRR, but I dont think that it would be that difficult to change your status. I'm not an authority on the issue so its all speculation on my part.

You might be able to argue that for a STA 21 guy.

JhwK08

Just a heads-up, USAA has been making frequent changes regarding their career-starter loan.

Information on their website is conflicting with what is actually true.

The latest info I've heard /directly/ from USAA is that the loan may now be taken out 12 months prior to commissioning, instead of 18, with repayments beginning at 3, with a possible waiver to extend it to 5-6.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot

"YOU MISERABLE ASSHOLE ... YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT !!! WE HOPE YOU GO DEAF, DUMB, AND BLIND ... " !!!!

I think I might start using that as my standard answer for all of the how many/what %/what should I do threads so I continue to be the supportive, mentoring officer I claim I am in my fitrep.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I thought you could defer student loans for 6 years if you join the military. Don't remember exactly but I' pretty sure that is what I did. Hell, I didn't have mine paid off til I was out of the Navy.

Th3HumbleMuffin

Blunt-force method
Just got word from my NROTC unit staff today that IRR is definitely going to happen for spring commissionees. Average length of IRR for those graduating this december is roughly 5 months. HOWEVER, this is just the climate right now, the wait could be more or less than this, from about two months up to a year.

This means:
1. Searching for entry-level jobs is probably a bad idea--why would a company invest money in training you if we're leaving in less than a year.
2. Internships or co-ops might be a good option due to the finite nature of the employment period (provided they shell out enough cash for us to support ourselves).
3. Getting a loan and traveling/doing what we want before the Navy owns our ass for the next decade might not be an option if we have a lengthy IRR period. I don't want $20k in loans over my head as an ENS. One of the great benefits of NROTC was graduating essentially without debt.

So, well S***, now what?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Just got word from my NROTC unit staff today that IRR is definitely going to happen for spring commissionees. Average length of IRR for those graduating this december is roughly 5 months. HOWEVER, this is just the climate right now, the wait could be more or less than this, from about two months up to a year.

This means:
1. Searching for entry-level jobs is probably a bad idea--why would a company invest money in training you if we're leaving in less than a year.
2. Internships or co-ops might be a good option due to the finite nature of the employment period (provided they shell out enough cash for us to support ourselves).
3. Getting a loan and traveling/doing what we want before the Navy owns our ass for the next decade might not be an option if we have a lengthy IRR period. I don't want $20k in loans over my head as an ENS. One of the great benefits of NROTC was graduating essentially without debt.

So, well S***, now what?

1. Don't tell them that you're just going to be leaving in a year.

2. Internships would be wonderful, but they might be better served by someone actually seeking to gain employment in that company/industry in the next year or two...then again, if they pay well, go for it.

3. You're young, take the time to enjoy it. You may not have the opportunity to have this much time to yourself for quite some time. So what if you end up with some debt. As an Ensign, you shouldn't have any serious obligations otherwise. You could pay off a $20,000 loan in two years, and still live comfortably.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
You could do what I did while waiting 5 months: Get a job working the loading dock at a warehouse. You'll get a paycheck and an appreciation for your upcoming career path.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I thought you could defer student loans for 6 years if you join the military. Don't remember exactly but I' pretty sure that is what I did. Hell, I didn't have mine paid off til I was out of the Navy.

Indefinitely while on AD for Federal backed loans like Stafford. For those that were bent over by Wells Fargo/Chase/Citibank, they are only required to give you a rate as defined in the Service Members Credit Relief Act. I believe the number is 5 or 6%, which is better than you'd be getting off the street usually.

And to those lucky enough to get this deal, highly recommend backpacking Europe if you can swing it. I only got a few days there, but tons of stuff and trouble to get into.

leo20307

Rhinos
None
Yeah, I'm graduating in the spring and fully expect to go IRR. I've already lined up a construction gig for a few months.

Creature

Anyway you can line up some work is good, I'm just gonna substitute teach and hang out at bars, go on a couple trips. Just try to be a bum for a few months really.