• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ironman Weighted Vest

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Well, in August of 2007 I was 240 lbs. I'm 175 now, so adding 20 or even 40 is just like running at a weight I have been recently. For good measure I'll pay attention to additional stress on my knees and shins.

As for the in bed thing, I'll get back to you after the weekend. :icon_smil

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
could this add additional stress to knees and shin? we don't use anything like this in cross-country training, and i'm wondering why, unless its bad for your knees or something.

Sure it could....does. But, that is what happens when you run without a vest (especially up or down hill) or do any form of lower body exercise. All things in moderation>>>start off with light weights and work yourself up. Slowly.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I apologize if this can be construed as thread-jacking, but I figured it would be appropriate as there has been some concern regarding running related injuries in here.

I've been PTing for just over a month, prepping for OCS and I've gotten my 1.5 time down from 13:30 to 10:30-11, and I'm ***king stoked. I used to run off and on when I was a bit overweight and was no stranger to shin pain. However, that hasn't come back since I paid special attention to, and fixed my form (or so I thought). Just recently I've come down with a different pain, my lower back.

It doesn't hurt while running, just during every other conceivable moment in time. Is this a common type of injury for runners? I'm looking for any advice, or exercises/stretches that might help. Should I just suck it up and run through it, go on hiatus until it stops, or possibly get it checked out?

srqwho

pilot
When are you leaving for OCS? While I'm not a doc, I did take a year off of college and went to massage therapy school and then studied neuromuscular massage after that. Low back pain is not something you want to ignore. As far as running form goes... make sure to go to a running store and get an opinion on what shoes you are running in (not sports authority). Usually the people working there are runners and understand the mechanics of running... and can put you in the right shoe for your gait. My girlfriend had miserable shin splints and compartment syndrome (or so she thought) for a few years, but it turned out that she was running in a shoe designed for pronators (running on the inside of your foot), but she was a supinator. Once she switched her pain went away almost within a week. But, to get back to the low back pain, my experience with people I have worked on that run and have low back pain is that is can sometimes be a muscular thing (nerve entrapment that is referring pain to other places... sciatica is an example of this), or the impact of running is aggravating some of your vertebrae and causing them to compress some nerves in your back. My suggestion (and again I'm not a doc) is to see a chiropractor. They have a bad rep sometimes, but make sure you get some opinions on who to see. Normally they will X-ray your entire vertebral column and point out areas that need some attention. Sometimes a single chiropractic adjustment can alleviate pain immediately, but sometimes you have to go back a few times, and sometimes you will have to go back on a regular basis. My experiences with chiropractors is mostly good, but like I said there are some shady ones out there. Another option is to see an orthopedic doctor. Whatever you decide to do, I would see a doc, especially if the pain gets worse. Oh, just remembered one more thing about low back pain... I was once told that sleeping on your stomach is bad for low back because it puts your hips into forward rotation, which compresses your lumbar vertebrae. Check this:

http://www.wnbc.com/bottomline/10935855/detail.html

Good Luck!

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I actually don't have a date yet, my medical data is hanging out with the final select board, however my recruiter was saying that Aug 17th would probably be the earliest I could expect.

I never bothered to get professionally fitted for a pair of running shoes as the ones I have seemed to be doing fine sub-8.5mph. Sounds like I should go take another look at that.

From what you're saying it sounds like lower back pain is no joke. Coincidentally I have a doc appt to get a mole looked at next friday (been putting it off for years). I'll see if they can look at this too. I get some amazing health coverage through General Dynamics, might as well make use of it! (I think they even cover chiropractic therapy).

Thanks.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I apologize if this can be construed as thread-jacking, but I figured it would be appropriate as there has been some concern regarding running related injuries in here.

I've been PTing for just over a month, prepping for OCS and I've gotten my 1.5 time down from 13:30 to 10:30-11, and I'm ***king stoked. I used to run off and on when I was a bit overweight and was no stranger to shin pain. However, that hasn't come back since I paid special attention to, and fixed my form (or so I thought). Just recently I've come down with a different pain, my lower back.

It doesn't hurt while running, just during every other conceivable moment in time. Is this a common type of injury for runners? I'm looking for any advice, or exercises/stretches that might help. Should I just suck it up and run through it, go on hiatus until it stops, or possibly get it checked out?

Yea, get it checked out.

Crunches can provide support for the lower back, as can lower back exercises: http://www.bigbackpain.com/back_exercises.html

Do you have any other lower body injuries? Sometimes those can alter the way you run, sit, walk...and that alteration can cause back pain.

Either way, get it diagnosed the right way.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Yea, get it checked out.

Crunches can provide support for the lower back, as can lower back exercises: http://www.bigbackpain.com/back_exercises.html

Do you have any other lower body injuries? Sometimes those can alter the way you run, sit, walk...and that alteration can cause back pain.

Either way, get it diagnosed the right way.

I have never had any diagnosed lower back problems. When I was a fatty (270, though you would've never guessed by looking at me, big frame) at the end of my senior year of college, I would pull a muscle, or hurt my lower back (same area) in some way doing things like splitting wood, or dropping the soap.

The last time I ran before I had the pain was on a treadmill. I was pushing for a new speed to get my muscles used to the pace. I noticed that my gait was all wtf-ed up (seemed like some strides were longer than others). Also, I'm an advocate of back-bridging as a form of exercise. It seems people swear by it, either as an amazing workout, or as a surefire way to end up a quadraplegic, nothing inbetween.

I have an apt on the 30th and I'll make sure it gets on the agenda then. Thanks for the feedback in the meantime.

srqwho

pilot
Also, tight posterior leg muscles (hamstrings, calf, soleus) are a HUGE source of low back soreness... as well as the gluts. DEFINITELY make sure you are stretching your hamstrings... daily, before AND after you run. When you stretch your hamstrings I would suggest laying on your back with the leg you are stretching extended and the other bent at the knee. Then pull the extended leg towards you abdomen/face and hold for 2-5 seconds. Do this about 8-10 times per leg. http://www.stretchingsa.co.za/Images/hamstringone.jpg . This way you are not stretching the hamstring while it is supporting your weight... which sitting on your butt and touching your toes does. I have also heard that static stretching is not as good for your muscles as stretch/release stretching.

I personally go through bouts of low back soreness, and once I start stretching regularly the pain subsides. I wouldn't freak out about this just yet... but in the event that some type of therapy needs to be done, the sooner you see a doc the better.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I know it's weird and not recommended...but I hardly ever stretch. When I do, it's just because it feels good. I know there's some opposing opinion as to the value of stretching. Different strokes for different folks I guess?

Just waiting for feddoc to come rip me a new one. :icon_mi_1