• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran Begins Production of Fighter Jet Based on U.S. Technology

Interesting post. I have my doubts about Foxnews though.

Best quote from the story

"The airplane, Azarakhsh, was made by Iranian experts"

I seem to remember the last great "new Iranian fighter" was a wannabe remake of the F-5.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Wow, I looked up some info on this program and it included an interview with one of the experts. His name is Mazar-e Sharif Muhommad Dhabihullah Ehsan. Here's his pic:

caveman.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292232,00.html

So the Iranians can afford to build advanced technology aircraft, but they are also experiencing massive gasoline shortages. I wonder how long the average citizens there will continue to put up with it?

Well, the Soviet Union had lines a block long or more for all sorts of products during the most of the Cold War while continaully developing and fielding a formidable arsenal of aircraft, missiles, ships, subs and armor. The average citizens had little choice under that type of regime as does the Iranian populace.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting post. I have my doubts about Foxnews though.

Best quote from the story

"The airplane, Azarakhsh, was made by Iranian experts"

I seem to remember the last great "new Iranian fighter" was a wannabe remake of the F-5.

That is exactly what it is........:eek:

1018.jpg

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
3F20mountin.jpg

You know, I always thought/read that this was a great plane. Can you imagine it with an F110-132?

Total threadjack, my bad.

Lawman

None
3F20mountin.jpg

You know, I always thought/read that this was a great plane. Can you imagine it with an F110-132?

Total threadjack, my bad.

Guy over on another board actually flew them. His concensus was it was every bit as good as the early block F-16 for the idea of a light weight day fighter. The only thing he had negative to say about it was that due to its available space it would have maxed out its development a lot earlier and would not have become the multi-mission capable plane the F-16 is today.

That being said it would have worked just as well as a Block 15 Falcon everybody was buying to replace all those Tigers, Starfighters, and Voodoos.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Funny how they couldn't slap a coat of paint on that shitty drop tank. Oh, and those deadly 2.75's...jeez, how ghetto.