• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IOC before API

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrUSNA05

Unicorn NFO
None
I recently heard from one of our graduating 1/C that some of the SNA 2LTs that graduated TBS recently had the chance to go to IOC if they wanted to because of the long wait to get into API. I was wondering if any one on the board had heard anything about this and what they knew about it?

RJ
USNA '05

Semper Fi!
Go Navy! Beat Army!

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Wow... what an awesome opportunity! After getting that into being a grunt though it would be pretty tough to let it all go and go to API. Oh well, that still would be outstanding.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
What the hell is your problem? I didn't join the Marine Corps solely for the chance to fly, so yes, Infantry and other ground MOS's still appeal to me.
Believe it or not, I know quite a few Marine Officers who WANTED ground slots, and are happy with them. It's a matter of preference, and nothing else.
You make some valid and well thought out points though, Splinter. Surely, anyone that would appreciate having the rare opportunity to both attend the training associated with being an Infantry Officer while still being allowed to be an SNA is a "retard". You know, the same kind of "retard" who joins the Marines to be a Marine first and and anything else second.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Yep... it's the 10 week course all TBS graduates who are selected for Infantry and Ground Intel (or I guess sometimes SNA) attend before getting their first assignment. The school is supposed to be one of the hardest military schools in the world.

What would be cool about attending would be gaining a hands on knowledge of how to command an Infantry platoon (Not that you don't learn quite a bit during OCS and TBS, but still), keeping in mind that there are only 2 real MOS's in the Corps:
1)Infantry
and
2) Those who support Infantry.

Rainman

pilot
"hardest?" TEN WEEKS? If I could be MOS trained 10 weeks out of TBS rather than 150 weeks (strike) that certainly sounds easier!

Most people that go have a great experience and say it's one of the best schools; so hey ... if you feel extra motivated at the end of TBS, knock yourself out.

dvl_dog_2531

I think what Splinter meant was that it might be prudent to save the "Ooh-rah! Wouldn't it be grand!" stuff until after TBS.

I haven't been to OCS or TBS, but as a Marine radioman I did some humping in my day and know that infantry life isn't all John Wayne guts and glory stuff. I would imagine they don't call TBS "The Big Suck" for nothing, and afterwards many a young Lt. is thinking supply looks mighty enticing.

Just my $.02

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by Rainman
"hardest?" TEN WEEKS? If I could be MOS trained 10 weeks out of TBS rather than 150 weeks (strike) that certainly sounds easier!

Well it all depends on what you define as "hard". I'll rephrase myself- it's supposed to be one of the most physically demanding military schools.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by dvl_dog_2531
I think what Splinter meant was that it might be prudent to save the "Ooh-rah! Wouldn't it be grand!" stuff until after TBS.

Yes, that is without a doubt what he was trying to say. The difference here is that your response showed tact.

Originally posted by dvl_dog_2531
I haven't been to OCS or TBS, but as a Marine radioman I did some humping in my day and know that infantry life isn't all John Wayne guts and glory stuff. I would imagine they don't call TBS "The Big Suck" for nothing, and afterwards many a young Lt. is thinking supply looks mighty enticing.

Just my $.02

Well, OCS as you can probably guess involves a fair amount of Infantry related training. I can speak from experience that running up and down a hill called "Da Nang" while your Drill Instructors are screaming "AT&T" is a pretty ****ty way to spend any morning. Yes, alot of the intense physical work that comes with the Infantry sucks.

In regards to your comment "after TBS many a young Lt is thinking supply looks mighty enticing"- this is my point exactly.
The beauty of being able to go to IOC before API is that you get to have the firm and completely solid background as a Marine Officer to say that you are fully qualified to be an Infantry Officer, while still get to then move on and go to another MOS school. You get to have your cake and eat it too. It's only 10 weeks long, and can only give you a stronger background in leading Marines.

I can fully understand why you would not want to go through this training, however, any comment that I'm "retarded" for thinking that it would be a good experience is completely uncalled for.

kimphil

Yes,

He should have been more diplomatic and said you "had below average intelligence."
propeller_125.gif

That was a joke, by the way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by kimphil
Yes,

He should have been more diplomatic and said you "had below average intelligence."
propeller_125.gif

You're damn right! And by the way, it's not that we havent been to TBS yet, we're just "chronologically challenged".

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
hmmmm, basking in the sun with buddies & beer, trying to hook up with the women on the white sandy beach in Pensacola, & studying & getting ready for my MOS .... or humping 75-100 pounds around Quantico for an extra 10 weeks all cammied up, eating MRE's and sleeping with another dude in a fighting hole, while being chewed on by Mosquitoes & Ticks, and running the risk of breaking something & getting DQ'd from flight school ...

hmmm, it wasn't a hard decision for me ...

to each there own though

semper fi

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Must agree. Upon the completion of TBS, VERY FEW Marines look forward to spending an additional 10 weeks there doing the same things (although more high-speed) and putting up with the same s@@t. Not to mention coming out knowing once your first tour is over you're going to be FAC. Yippee, two more years in the field as a grunt.

I too will pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.