• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Invisalign

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I found a post that mentioned it as a possibility but I wanted to see if anyone has done it recently.

Obviously I wouldn't have them until after I get through OCS, but I really want to do Invisalign when in IFS/API/Primary. Can this be done? Mods feel free to relocate to a more suitable section or merge, I try not to clutter the forums, just looking for some good advice. Thanks :D.

Zissou

Banned
I cant answer your specific question at all but I had cosmetic dentistry done in the Navy while on Dive/Jump status which had some similar med standards.

I had twelve porcelain veneers done by a cosmetic dentist in LA, I had his board certification copied for my records. Navy dental did x-rays and inspection following the procedure. They looked for weak bonding and exposed dentin.

I was told so long as it didnt impede my ability to execute my duties that it was ok.

Very glad I spoke to dental and my DMO before doing it though. The DMO wrote a letter to my civ dentist explaining what could affect my job.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Actually that helps a lot, I've been thinking of doing those as well, but I need professional advice as to what's best for me. I need to actually be commissioned before I do any of this stuff, just trying to think ahead. If it comes down to either having a Johnny Hollywood smile or flying, it's going to be flying. Chicks will overlook my teeth when I show up in whites at a bar explaining that I'm a "Naval Aviator." Thanks.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Chicks will overlook my teeth when I show up in whites at a bar explaining that I'm a "Naval Aviator." Thanks.

Be sure to always introduce yourself by your callsign there, Maverick. Just watch out for IceMan. He'll try to c0ck-block you.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Be sure to always introduce yourself by your callsign there, Maverick. Just watch out for IceMan. He'll try to c0ck-block you.

I hate it when he does that. Always asking me if I've figured out who the best pilot is. 'Gets pissed when I answer with "Doug Masters." :D Ooookay back on topic.

Zissou

Banned
Actually that helps a lot, I've been thinking of doing those as well, but I need professional advice as to what's best for me. I need to actually be commissioned before I do any of this stuff, just trying to think ahead. If it comes down to either having a Johnny Hollywood smile or flying, it's going to be flying. Chicks will overlook my teeth when I show up in whites at a bar explaining that I'm a "Naval Aviator." Thanks.

Veneers require sound teeth with fair symmetry, otherwise they may opt for crowns.

Veneers are a two step/two visit process. No mechanical attachments, no long term upgrades and check ups.

I'm on my fourth set of veneers, now they are all crowns and Im glad I went down that path.

THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. My current set cost 17,000 for twelve crowns, a night guard, and ZOOM whitening of my other teeth. You get what you pay for, I wouldnt let a regular dentist touch my grill. I use Dr. Levine in Las Vegas and I selected my lab. Ive been using a lab that uses Empress porcelain and Ive been very pleased with the results. The lab has to be top rate and employ sculptors, not technicians. Your dentist will ensure the mechanics are sound, the lab ensures aesthetics.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Noted, thanks. I had you SEAL (if I remember correctly) types all wrong; at least the last thing they see before they die is a perfect smile.

I despise all dentists, orthodontists and oral surgeons. I am convinced they move your teeth back and forth until they are tired of taking your money/insurance. 6 years of braces is not fun. Neither is having 13 teeth removed.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
"It's like putting candy in front of a baby...I (nom nom nom) chomp it UP"

MV5BMjExNjIwODgzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDcxNDY2._V1._SX262_SY399_.jpg

schwarti

Contributor
After I got my braces off as a kid, I had invisalign instead of a more normal retainer. They're okay - at a glance, nobody will see that you're wearing them, but they're visible from close up. They also give you a bit of a speech impediment... and they stink like ass even if you brush them twice a day. They also usually require a bit of trimming once you get them - you'll feel where the edges rub your gums, and you can cut them a little to be more comfortable.

I don't know about doing them in API/Primary - I wouldn't wear them when you need to speak clearly, though.