• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Introduction and request for some guidance

banjosquirrel

Hello!

I've been lurking on this forum for a bit and find it extremely helpful, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a college senior at a fairly prestigious liberal arts college in Tennessee, and I'm double majoring in Biology and Russian. I have around a 3.3ish GPA, although I'm not completely sure how to calculate it, as my university doesn't count my grades from when I studied in Saint Petersburg, Russia last semester and I had a 4.0 in my classes there.

Anyway, after studying abroad I realized that I'd been taking being an American for granted for pretty much my entire life, and now that I have some perspective I really want to serve the country. The Navy seems to be the way to go for me. I'm also talking to the Air Force, but at this point I feel that I'm more suited for the Navy and that especially my Russian skills would be of more use there. I'm in touch with a recruiter but so far he's not been great about answering all my questions. I took the OAR and scored a 64, and I'm not interested in any aviation paths.

My reason for posting here now is to get some guidance from you all. My recruiter seems to think that my best match for an officer would be to apply to Intel, but since that is extremely competitive I'd rather not put all my eggs in that basket. I was hoping for some guidance regarding other areas I should consider applying to. Also, I'm wondering if I should retake the OAR, as I was very unprepared for it when I took it, and a lot of the math I'm sure I missed is stuff I could quickly remember if I study a bit first.

I really think I could benefit the Navy, and I believe that by joining I'd be not only serving my country but bettering myself. I really hope that I will be accepted to OCS and if I am, I wish to start as soon as possible after I graduate in May. Tomorrow I'm meeting my recruiter to get some preliminary medical forms signed so he can get me into MEPs (which he said is the next step) and I'm going to start getting LORs together.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and best to you all!

exNavyOffRec

Hello!

I've been lurking on this forum for a bit and find it extremely helpful, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a college senior at a fairly prestigious liberal arts college in Tennessee, and I'm double majoring in Biology and Russian. I have around a 3.3ish GPA, although I'm not completely sure how to calculate it, as my university doesn't count my grades from when I studied in Saint Petersburg, Russia last semester and I had a 4.0 in my classes there.

Anyway, after studying abroad I realized that I'd been taking being an American for granted for pretty much my entire life, and now that I have some perspective I really want to serve the country. The Navy seems to be the way to go for me. I'm also talking to the Air Force, but at this point I feel that I'm more suited for the Navy and that especially my Russian skills would be of more use there. I'm in touch with a recruiter but so far he's not been great about answering all my questions. I took the OAR and scored a 64, and I'm not interested in any aviation paths.

My reason for posting here now is to get some guidance from you all. My recruiter seems to think that my best match for an officer would be to apply to Intel, but since that is extremely competitive I'd rather not put all my eggs in that basket. I was hoping for some guidance regarding other areas I should consider applying to. Also, I'm wondering if I should retake the OAR, as I was very unprepared for it when I took it, and a lot of the math I'm sure I missed is stuff I could quickly remember if I study a bit first.

I really think I could benefit the Navy, and I believe that by joining I'd be not only serving my country but bettering myself. I really hope that I will be accepted to OCS and if I am, I wish to start as soon as possible after I graduate in May. Tomorrow I'm meeting my recruiter to get some preliminary medical forms signed so he can get me into MEPs (which he said is the next step) and I'm going to start getting LORs together.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and best to you all!

What does your cumulative GPA say on your transcript, that is what they will use.

Your GPA is sort of low for Intel but if I were your recruiter I would say if you want to be an officer and serve, put Intel 1st and SWO 2nd.

You can apply at anytime, you don't have to wait until after you graduate.

Your OAR is fine, you are better off spending your time on other aspects of the application.

LET73

Hello!
SWO is a good second choice, and you could also apply for the SWO-Intel option, although that's also very competitive. One thing to consider, though, if you go the officer route the Navy isn't going to be terribly interested in your Russian language skills (says the intel LT who studied Russian and did a post-undergrad summer in St. Petersburg). Through luck of the draw your background can come in handy, but don't expect to use it.

exNavyOffRec

SWO is a good second choice, and you could also apply for the SWO-Intel option, although that's also very competitive. One thing to consider, though, if you go the officer route the Navy isn't going to be terribly interested in your Russian language skills (says the intel LT who studied Russian and did a post-undergrad summer in St. Petersburg). Through luck of the draw your background can come in handy, but don't expect to use it.

SWO-Intel has had no quota for a while unless they have added some for FY 15

Edit: no quota for OCS goaling, might be different for other accession sources.

LET73

In that case, belay my last. I know they don't have all that many spots to begin with, which is a shame. The intel community could do with better understanding of blue force operations.

exNavyOffRec

In that case, belay my last. I know they don't have all that many spots to begin with, which is a shame. The intel community could do with better understanding of blue force operations.

There is a report that is available to recruiters from NRC but it isn't often publicized well, it list each community, the number of billets for the FY, the number shipped, the number selected, the number awaiting board, the number pro Y, and the number awaiting a FS letter.

banjosquirrel

What does your cumulative GPA say on your transcript, that is what they will use.

Your GPA is sort of low for Intel but if I were your recruiter I would say if you want to be an officer and serve, put Intel 1st and SWO 2nd.

You can apply at anytime, you don't have to wait until after you graduate.

Your OAR is fine, you are better off spending your time on other aspects of the application.

Thanks for your reply! I just saw my recruiter today and he also said I should apply for SWO. Is that not the one everyone seems to hate?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... Is that not the one everyone seems to hate?
This is an aviation site. Yes, most guys here don't have great things to say about SWO. It is a different culture. There are guys here that are SWOs and others that have experience in that culture. They have more useful authoritative info to offer than most of the critics here. The culture may suit you. In any case, you will have nothing else to compare it to. See for yourself.

LET73

I'll add that just because most people on an aviation-centric site don't have great things to say about SWOs, that doesn't mean it would be a bad fit for you. If you haven't checked out the SWO/other communities section here, do that.

One thing you'll often hear is that SWOs eat their young, and it's true that it can be rough as a SWO junior officer. It's a lot of work, a lot of time at sea, a lot of studying, standing watch, etc. Some people like it, and few things beat it for leadership experience. It's definitely not for everyone, but don't base your decision solely on what people who aren't SWOs have to say.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for your reply! I just saw my recruiter today and he also said I should apply for SWO. Is that not the one everyone seems to hate?

He probably said that because realistically it is what is going to give you the best shot, your dings for Intel are your GPA, your non engineering degree, not prior service, and no graduate degree. The way they just upped the requirements for SWO you now have an excellent shot as many that were applying no longer can.

banjosquirrel

Based on my post, would you recommend applying for IW? Or IW-SWO as well? I'm just learning about them and it seems like something I'm definitely interested in. Do you have any idea how IW and IW-SWO compare to Intel (or Intel-SWO) in terms of how selective they are?

LET73

Based on my post, would you recommend applying for IW? Or IW-SWO as well? I'm just learning about them and it seems like something I'm definitely interested in. Do you have any idea how IW and IW-SWO compare to Intel (or Intel-SWO) in terms of how selective they are?
It can't hurt to apply, but they're at least as competitive as intel, and I'm pretty sure there are fewer billets. For IW, they're going to want a strong math background, which you don't mention having (or not having).