• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intro Flights Around Atlanta?

georgiaboy

Hi, I dont know if this is the right category for this question, but here goes. Im 16, and a junior in high school. I'm REALLY interested in aviation, particularly naval aviation. One thing though- i've never been in an airplane. Before I apply for the NROTC scholarship, I'd like to KNOW that I truly enjoy aviation. I dont exactly have the money to go out and buy a flight lesson right now. Do any of you guys(or girls, i suppose) know of a former military or active pilot that would be willing to take me up and let me experience being in a small airplane? If not, any advice on hitching a ride in an airplane? Thanks guys.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You shouldn't be looking to do NROTC because you think you're interested in aviation. Do you want to be a naval officer first and foremost? Getting pilot/NFO is not a guarantee. What if you're found NPQ when you do your flight physical as a midshipman, or you just don't selected for aviation? Would you be happy being a SWO or sub type?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Try looking into EAA Young Eagles. It's not connected to the military (although plenty of EAA members are current or former military). The program is intended to "give interested young people, ages 8 - 17, an opportunity to go flying in a general aviation airplane." If you decide you like it after the free flight, the program has a line on free private pilot ground school too- that's a pretty nice bonus no matter what you decide to do in life.

georgiaboy

I would be just as happy doing almost anything in the Navy. Aviation simply sounds like the best option. But anything else would also be great, as long as i'm serving my country.

georgiaboy

And thanks for the EAA link. I actually just contacted my local chapter, and hopefully good things will follow. :) Thanks :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Try looking into EAA Young Eagles. It's not connected to the military (although plenty of EAA members are current or former military). The program is intended to "give interested young people, ages 8 - 17, an opportunity to go flying in a general aviation airplane." If you decide you like it after the free flight, the program has a line on free private pilot ground school too- that's a pretty nice bonus no matter what you decide to do in life.

This is good gouge. Just be patient. Some chapters can't support the demand, so you may have to wait until the next offering.

Speaking of which, Jim, is that avatar ever going to change or is it going to just be a garage pet?

KBayDog

Speaking of which, Jim, is that avatar ever going to change or is it going to just be a garage pet?

Yeah, Jim, it sure sucks that you live in an area devoid of Aviators with airplane knowledges (or, at least, a willingness to work for beer) and free time on their hands to help you update your avatar.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
gerogiaboy, if you flind a flight school or instructor ( i know you said you do not have the money for it) they usually do just the intro flights at a cheaper rate. A school over here does them for 90 dollars, they give you a little ground school session, then show you how to preflight sort of, take you up for about 45 min or so, fly over the house, let you handle the plane etc. Pretty good bang for buck considering the rest of it gets really expensive after that. BUT just a heads up call around find out the rates and what the into flight entails. Then cut some grass this summer and save your sheckles. Also, find an airport where pilots hang on the weekends or find out where a fly in is and go mill around, they will probably take you up for a flight. Better yet a part time job around a small airport helps too!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Uhh, yes. :) I'm chipping away at a lot of detail work lately. Time consuming and not much to show, but little by little...

Yeah, Jim, it sure sucks that you live in an area devoid of Aviators with airplane knowledges (or, at least, a willingness to work for beer) and free time on their hands to help you update your avatar.

Oh, be careful what you wish for.

georgiaboy

Hey Guys, thanks for all the advice! I contacted my local EAA chapter, and there is a former Army pilot taking me up on saturday(weather permitting) for free. This guy is real nice and kind. Thanks for the advice guys! Ive never even been in an airplane before, so i'm excited to get up and fly! Im so thankful :)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You shouldn't be looking to do NROTC because you think you're interested in aviation. Do you want to be a naval officer first and foremost? Getting pilot/NFO is not a guarantee. What if you're found NPQ when you do your flight physical as a midshipman, or you just don't selected for aviation? Would you be happy being a SWO or sub type?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people here who'd be happy as a SWO/sub type.

If the dude's got dreams, let him chase them. You just gotta know BEFORE signing the dotted line that you may end up on Uncle Sam's haze gray cruise from hell, sans gold wings.

georgiaboy

Alright, I just got back from my first flight ever. :) It was absolutely amazing. Thanks guys for the advice on getting an intro flight. I am applying for the NROTC scholarship in may as soon as my junior year transcript comes out, and I will be hoping I get a SNA or NFO slot as my assignment. But, if I dont become an aviator, i'll still be glad serving in the navy and becoming a private pilot once I get out.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Glad you enjoyed it. Keep your grades up, get in good shape if you aren't already there, and show leadership in whatever you do (sports, clubs, band, Boy Scouts, etc.).