• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer

cburns13

Hi All,

Is anyone familiar with aviators switching to the Marine side of the house but picking up an entirely different MOS at TBS? I was slated to start flight school as a SNA this summer but just found out I'm NPQ due to anthro measurements for every platform except P-8s or E-2/C-2s as a backseater. It obviously makes little sense to pursue an IST to then go Marine Air, but is it possible/feasible to find myself in a ground or support MOS? Not looking to jump ship just yet but would like to know potential options. Thanks.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Your profile says you are a SNFO not a SNA.

But no matter which, even if you had not artho’d out of jets you could easily have found yourself going P-8s (or E-2s if SNFO) after primary. What would you have done then? Quit?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@HAL Pilot nailed it. If you were NPQ for SNA very likely you'd be re-designated to SNFO. Do you simply want to quit and try for another branch? It won't send a good message to the other services that you quit one branch and try to affiliate with another.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was also getting at he artho’d out of jets (maybe helos - is that possible?). There is a really good chance he wouldn’t select jets anyway as either a SNA or SNFO. Was he just going to quit then?

cburns13

Allow me to clarify. I've was just re-designated as an SNFO as I anthro'd out of jets and helos, and therefore the entire SNA pipeline by default. The only platforms available to me are P-8's and E-2's. Pilot is completely off the table, regardless of branch. I'd simply like to understand what other options there may be before committing to the NFO pipeline.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting that they're being so selective now. I had an on-wing that was anthro'ed out of everything except P-3s and he was still going through as a SNA. I guess now people want to select VP, unlike back then, it wasn't as desirable.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Allow me to clarify. I've was just re-designated as an SNFO as I anthro'd out of jets and helos, and therefore the entire SNA pipeline by default. The only platforms available to me are P-8's and E-2's. Pilot is completely off the table, regardless of branch. I'd simply like to understand what other options there may be before committing to the NFO pipeline.

Dude, you already "committed" when you swore that commissioning oath.

You have two options:
  1. Go through the SNFO pipeline or
  2. Quit

Be advised, it doesn't paint a good resume to another service that someone "quit" a military service because things didn't go the way you wanted them to. That's life and sometimes things don't go the way we want them to go. You still move along and make the best with that you have.

I don't think you fully understand the opportunity you still have in front of you, even though SNA is a no-go.

cburns13

Dude, you already "committed" when you swore that commissioning oath.

You have two options:
  1. Go through the SNFO pipeline or
  2. Quit
Be advised, it doesn't paint a good resume to another service that someone "quit" a military service because things didn't go the way you wanted them to. That's life and sometimes things don't go the way we want them to go. You still move along and make the best with that you have.

I don't think you fully understand the opportunity you still have in front of you, even though SNA is a no-go.

Again for clarification sake, I have yet to commission. This is precisely why I am trying to do my homework ahead of time so I can make an informed decision and be capable of fully committing to a given path. I understand your skepticism, but ultimately telling me "quitting is bad" is rhetorical and helpful to neither party.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Theoretically, yes. You could switch Marines and at TBS drop your air contract for a ground contract. You would then be competing with those guys in your TBS company for one of the 20+ ground MOSs.

BarryD

Contributor
How can one be an SNFO without satisfying the “O” in SNFO?

Edit: looked at the profile of OP, fellow Mididiot.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Again for clarification sake, I have yet to commission. This is precisely why I am trying to do my homework ahead of time so I can make an informed decision and be capable of fully committing to a given path. I understand your skepticism, but ultimately telling me "quitting is bad" is rhetorical and helpful to neither party.

You never said any of this. Without providing important details you are leaving the audience to assume on their own.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You better go back 6 years and read every post by every Marine on this board.

You never answered my question: why do you want to be a Marine?

BarryD

Contributor
Can't do an interservice transfer without being in a service yet either.

OP needs to talk to his NROTC senior advisor. Calling @ea6bflyr
Yeah I was thinking about this, and being a week from commissioning probably isn’t a good time to talk to the MOI about going green. I’m curious if the OP would be better off doing an IST in a couple years.

So is the goal to be a pilot? I’m lost.

Edit: OP wants Marine Ground? That's about as far as you can get from 1310/1320.

Last edited: