• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interpreting billet slate / BUPERS acronyms

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I nabbed the billet slate in excel for my community from 'detailing 101' on NPC. I want to make sure I'm interpreting it correctly since this is the first time I've looked at one.

First, I assume that "B-Rank" stands for "billet rank" and thus the rank of the person to take the billet when it opens. After all the basic information (port, command, title, b-rank, etc) there are a few columns with the titles in gray "I-Rank, I-Desig (desig number), I-PRD, I-Desig (again, but has a date in it), and I-PRD(again with date)). I'm assuming that these refer to the people who currently hold the billet, and when they are expected to rotate out. If it is blank, is that a gapped billet?

These are followed by P-Name, P-EDD, and P-EDA. From the layout, I'm assuming that a billet with something in P-Name (just red color, no actual name) and some dates in P-EDD and P-EDA means that that billet has been snatched up by someone and filled, and that I'm looking at their detach/report dates for their next move.

Also, how reliable are these slates? Does stuff change a lot, or is what just got put up pretty reliable for a while?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These are great questions for your detailer. Have you contacted him/her?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
These are great questions for your detailer. Have you contacted him/her?

I considered it, but as a new guy I wasn't sure if "Sir, can you explain a spreadsheet to a new Ensign?" was the best introduction - is that an incorrect assumption? The second question (about reliability) I thought was ok, but I wanted to make sure I understood what I was reading before I asked about how likely it was to change.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I considered it, but as a new guy I wasn't sure if "Sir, can you explain a spreadsheet to a new Ensign?" was the best introduction - is that an incorrect assumption? The second question (about reliability) I thought was ok, but I wanted to make sure I understood what I was reading before I asked about how likely it was to change.
The more information you can learn about the detailing process for your particular community, the better off you'll be. That includes knowing the lingo.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The more information you can learn about the detailing process for your particular community, the better off you'll be. That includes knowing the lingo.

The I means incumbent and the P means proposed. Call your detailer if you have questions.

Sent an email a while ago. Looks like I was able to figure out what most of everything meant, hopefully he'll be able to answer my other qusetions.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Did you talk to your XO? That is the person who will normally work with you and your Detailer (why you're a JO)on your next set of orders.

Recommend a drive by to the XO to ask those questions.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you talk to your XO? That is the person who will normally work with you and your Detailer (why you're a JO)on your next set of orders.

From reading other posts here, this seems to be how it works for aviators. For others, not so much. I can't speak to actual specifics for all the other communities, but for SWOs we speak to our detailers directly, early and often. We do not use the XO as a broker.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sent an email a while ago.
Call your detailer. It will be much easier for him/her to explain these things over the phone and will take less of his/her time. You'll get a better explanation to your questions overall and not force him to draft a long email.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Call your detailer. It will be much easier for him/her to explain these things over the phone and will take less of his/her time. You'll get a better explanation to your questions overall and not force him to draft a long email.

He said I was correct about the terms on the spreadsheet. I asked for his number so we could discuss other things.

I'm doing the mustering thing while waiting to class up, so I don't think this is an option for me. I will keep that in mind I'm the future though,

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

azguy

None
Good on you for trying to get an idea of what jobs will be available when you graduate, but keep in mind that those lists change every day. Don't get your heart set on the few good deals that may generally line up with your PRD. Also, I think the LDOs are on that list too (their designator starts with 6) - not all ENS's are created equal in that regard, they get to go to much cooler jobs than an 1830 ENS.

Your detailer should be able to give you a brief run down of what types of jobs (and where) are generally available for new butter bars.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Good on you for trying to get an idea of what jobs will be available when you graduate, but keep in mind that those lists change every day. Don't get your heart set on the few good deals that may generally line up with your PRD. Also, I think the LDOs are on that list too (their designator starts with 6) - not all ENS's are created equal in that regard, they get to go to much cooler jobs than an 1830 ENS.

Your detailer should be able to give you a brief run down of what types of jobs (and where) are generally available for new butter bars.

Fortunately the slate is pretty detailed so I managed to filter out all the billets for 6XXXs, I figured they were LDOs or reservists or something.

Class ranking plays a part in your first assignment out of there, so I'm not getting my heart set on any one assignment, and in fact I'm hoping some more open up.

LET73

Fortunately the slate is pretty detailed so I managed to filter out all the billets for 6XXXs, I figured they were LDOs or reservists or something.

Class ranking plays a part in your first assignment out of there, so I'm not getting my heart set on any one assignment, and in fact I'm hoping some more open up.
It's good that you're getting an idea of what's going to be out there. That will help you tailor your "dream sheet" when the time comes. That said, unless they've changed things at NIOBC, you aren't going to get to talk to the detailer at all during the process. When the time does come to negotiate orders, you'll contact the detailer directly. We don't go through the XO (especially since the XO isn't going to be an intel guy). Of course it's always good to talk to senior intel officers about what you should think about doing next, but ultimately it's just between you and the detailer.