• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

International Burn a Qu'ran Day

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
It seems to be pretty much universally accepted that this is a royally assinine thing to do.

That said, if they go through with it, how about some responsibility in the press by giving them no press? They can burn all the damn books they want, and if it doesn't make the news, it might as well not have happened.

On another note, what does it say about a "peaceful" religion when the retaliation for burning a book is killing somebody?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think translations of the Quran are not considered holy, because they are not the original Arabic texts. It's only a quran with the Arabic text included that is considered holy, something to do with the Quran's text being divine and unchangeable, so a translation would lessen its purity.

So if I downloaded the Arabic version, is my Kindle now holy?

ryan1234

However, the one thing this reveals that upsets me is that Muslims are treated with kid gloves because they're well-known for going completely off the deep end in regards to their religion being slighted.

They can dish it out, but they can't take it.

I say we all just compromise and bring Mohammed back to South Park.

MasterBates

I agree it is dumb for them to burn the Quran..

HOWEVER, it fucking says volumes about the aggregate culture in that part of the world that they would be willing to go behead people over it. And blow US troops up.

We really need to stop treating them with kids gloves, and let them choose to either joint the civilized world, or deal with them like they are bloodthirsty barbarians.

The choice is in their hands. Act civilized or not.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I doubt the average person over there is gonna go batshit over this. It's the assholes that are already looking for something to use as propoganda for attacks and recruiting. This church should try reading books instead of burning them.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I agree it is dumb for them to burn the Quran..

HOWEVER, it fucking says volumes about the aggregate culture in that part of the world that they would be willing to go behead people over it. And blow US troops up.

We really need to stop treating them with kids gloves, and let them choose to either joint the civilized world, or deal with them like they are bloodthirsty barbarians.

Having spent the last two and a half years living among the "aggregate culture of that part of the world" instead of just flying over it, I think you really need to stop and think about what it is you're saying. Implying that everyone over here will be out to kill US troops over this is exactly the same as attributing this nutbag's desires to all Americans.

Both cultures have their moderates and extremists - the problem is, only the extremists are "news"-worthy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On another note, what does it say about a "peaceful" religion when the retaliation for burning a book is killing somebody?

AJTranny says it very well:

I doubt the average person over there is gonna go batshit over this. It's the assholes that are already looking for something to use as propoganda for attacks and recruiting. This church should try reading books instead of burning them.

The morons and idiots who are claiming they would behead people over this are the same morons who would stone a woman to death for wearing a mini-skirt or try and blow up the Sesame Street set because of they think it is blasphemy. These guys are just plain fucktards, just like the ones we have back home who would think that the apocalypse is coming with the next comet or that burning books is a good idea. Just because 200 people show up to a demonstration and say they want to behead Americans over a book burning doesn't mean that the whole region is fucked up. If you actually stick around the region for a bit and mix with the locals you will see the overwhelming majority aren't wild-eyed radicals who bloodthirsty barbarians, just average folks trying to get by. They are a bit more sensitive about religion here but it is one of the few allowable outlets of expression for much of the region, with governments cracking down on many other expressions like political and cultural activity. Give people only a single outlet and they will tend to exercise it as much as possible and sometimes go a bit overboard. And a sensitivity towards criticism is a common theme among religions, it is literally a matter of heaven of hell for some of them so it tends to be taken seriously.

Oh, and this isn't really that big of a story over in the Middle East, much like the NYC mosque controversy it has largely been on the margins.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Oh, and this isn't really that big of a story over in the Middle East, much like the NYC mosque controversy it has largely been on the margins.

What's your source for that?

1rotorhead

pilot
No argument this guy is a bafoon. Something that sticks in my craw is that in just a couple of days he's gotten more responses from our leadership over his stupidity than the Westboro Baptist Church jackasses that picket next to service members' funerals. Where is the outcry from Sec State, Senate Minority, etc... about that?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
No argument this guy is a bafoon. Something that sticks in my craw is that in just a couple of days he's gotten more responses from our leadership over his stupidity than the Westboro Baptist Church jackasses that picket next to service members' funerals. Where is the outcry from Sec State, Senate Minority, etc... about that?

Because there's been death threats levied against the Baghdad embassy. It's not ordinarily the place of SecState or CENTCOM to comment on domestic politics. Fred Phelps may be obnoxious but the only people in lethal harm as a result of his actions are his own flock. And I suspect their statements are really meant for international consumption; it's not like Terry Jones was going to be convinced otherwise. But your average Afghan doesn't understand the 1st Amendment or why the government doesn't just order Jones to stop. This way our leadership publicly distances us from Jones's actions.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Nah, I'm pretty sure on this forum, everyone is against soldiers potentially dying because of other people's stupidity.

Actually, i expected some spirited debate, which there now is - I think there's a lot to discuss about this subject.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
So if I downloaded the Arabic version, is my Kindle now holy?

If you download the ancient Persian versian your Kindle is holy--even if you can't read it.

It seems like endangering troops is some sort of treason--is there a loophole in the Constitution for that?

MasterBates

By some thoughts, me saying "Violent extremist muslims are assholes" could be constrained as "endangering the troops"

Where would you draw that line, even if it were illegal?