• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting way to announce your exit from the Naval service

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A cartoon avatar for a home biz that is a caricature of a platform one may have been associated with isn't even in the same league and dosen't pass muster.
Ok, but where do you draw the line? Where does it start becoming ok to reference military experience in a commercial capacity? I would say the cartoon avatar has much more meaning (if I understand correctly what he's trying to do with it -- that is, a way to brand his business) than you give it credit. Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of the logo and I've told him that. I'm just trying to get a sense of where your threshold is.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I actually know this guy pretty well and he's a good dude. However, i'm still a bit...unsure how I feel about his videos.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
We don't have to guess about most of this:
Joint Ethics Regulation said:
3-209. Endorsement. Endorsement of a non Federal entity, event, product, service, or enterprise may be neither stated nor implied by DoD or DoD employees in their official capacities and titles, positions, or organization names may not be used to suggest official endorsement or preferential treatment of any non Federal entity except those listed in subsection 3 210., below.....
Joint Ethics Regulation said:
3-210. Fundraising and Membership Drives

a. DoD employees shall not officially endorse or appear to endorse membership drives or fundraising for any non-Federal entity except the following organizations

which are not subject to the provisions of subsection 3-211 of this Regulation, below:

(1) The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC);
(2) Emergency and disaster appeals approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM);
(3) Army Emergency Relief;
(4) Navy Marine Corps Relief Society;
(5) Air Force Assistance Fund, including:
(a) Air Force Enlisted Men's Widows and Dependents Home Foundation, Inc.;
(b) Air Force Village;
(c) Air Force Aid Society;
(d) General and Mrs. Curtis E. LeMay Foundation....
(each paragraph has a little bit more, but I cut them both down)

phrogpilot73

Ok, but where do you draw the line? Where does it start becoming ok to reference military experience in a commercial capacity? I would say the cartoon avatar has much more meaning (if I understand correctly what he's trying to do with it -- that is, a way to brand his business) than you give it credit. Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of the logo and I've told him that. I'm just trying to get a sense of where your threshold is.
I think the big difference is that you don't see me, in uniform, advertising my business. Yes it's my brand, and I have a vision, and it does reference my military experience. However, I don't put on my flight suit/dress blues/chucks/what have you and talk about it. I would say a more apt comparison would be comparing my logo to GI Joe. Maybe some guy at Hasbro had some military experience he was drawing on when he came up with the concept. But you didn't see him standing there in uniform selling it.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Let's all take a moment out of our day and meet Hal shall we. And yes Hal there is something that drew us here. :icon_smil.
WHAT THE?!?

"Listen, the reason you're here today is because there was something about me that drew you here.."

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the big difference is that you don't see me, in uniform, advertising my business. Yes it's my brand, and I have a vision, and it does reference my military experience. However, I don't put on my flight suit/dress blues/chucks/what have you and talk about it. I would say a more apt comparison would be comparing my logo to GI Joe. Maybe some guy at Hasbro had some military experience he was drawing on when he came up with the concept. But you didn't see him standing there in uniform selling it.
I agree. Just wanted to see if him wearing his uniform and talking about his business was where he crossed the line.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree. Just wanted to see if him wearing his uniform and talking about his business was where he crossed the line.

That's my stance too. If you recall the whole Ed Rush pushback of several years ago, when I talked with him on the phone, he claimed that he had cleared his entire operation through his command and the JAGs. One could probably make an argument that a flight suit is kind of generic and nominally a military uniform, but not necessarily if you don't have any obvious military insignia/patches on it (Rush doesn't in the videos I've seen). You can't say the same for Wilkensen.

Brett

phrogpilot73

Just thought I'd mention that every video that features him in his uniform is now private... Gee, I wonder if he found this thread via google?!?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just thought I'd mention that every video that features him in his uniform is now private... Gee, I wonder if he found this thread via google?!?
Google Analytics I'm guessing. Or he's a regular member here, lurking or otherwise.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot

He found this thread with the amazing wonderful money-making font of ever-lasting power sitting right in front of you: The internet.