• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting/Dangerous Instrument Approaches

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I was looking at some approach plates and I remember seeing this a while ago. Check out this VOR approach into Kilimanjaro International Airport.

This is one of those approaches that can kill you if you are not paying attention. See the note regarding the minimum crossing altitude at the "KV" Flight Level 220 is a pretty high altitude when it comes to instrument approach procedures. If descent to 9,500 was made a bit early, you might become "one" with the 14,979 foot mountain nearby. An arrival from europe will take you over the mountain. Take note of the MSA diagram in the upper right hand corner of the chart.

HTKJ.jpg

Once you cross Kilimanjaro VOR at 22,000 feet, you have only 26.4 miles to be established at 9,500 feet and slowed to 185 knots. For most jets, the speed during descent at 22,000 would be 250 to 300 knots indicated. The true airspeed would be a bit higher. This gives you about 5 minutes to descend 12,500 feet and reduce your speed by over a hundred knots. The terrain clearance between the Kilimanjaro NDB and the final approach course is based on an indicated airspeed of no more than 185 knots. Remember, turn radius varies with the square of the speed. Making this turn at 250 knots results in a turn radius that is about 4 times what it would be at the required 185 knot speed. This would put you too far north for your own good.
Add fatigue to the mix and mistakes become more likely. This place is between six and a half and eight hours from southern Europe, so chances are you have been had a long day before you even attempt this approach. In situations like this, it is preparation and good communication with your fellow crewmembers that will prevent disaster. The departure procedures for this airport have an equal potential to hurt you if you do not understand where the mountains are. Think before you act and you will be more likely to survive.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
This is one of those approaches that can kill you if you are not paying attention.

Add fatigue to the mix and mistakes become more likely.

In situations like this, it is preparation and good communication with your fellow crewmembers that will prevent disaster.

The departure procedures for this airport have an equal potential to hurt you if you do not understand where the mountains are.

Think before you act and you will be more likely to survive.

Is this a Tony Kern self-help book or what?! The above can apply to lots of different situations. Tough approach though. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was looking at some approach plates and .....check out this VOR approach into Kilimanjaro International Airport.
KILMANJARO ????

AND .... the point is .... ???? :) I'm sweating waiting for your response .... :)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
KILMANJARO ????

AND .... the point is .... ???? :) I'm sweating waiting for your response .... :)

Easy big guy...I think he just wanted to let everyone know to be careful if flying instruments into Tanzania. Run out of limes?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Easy big guy...I think he just wanted to let everyone know to be careful if flying instruments into Tanzania. Run out of limes?
Limes ??? LIMES, you say ???? RUN OUT ????? Not on your best day .... :)

No .... ACTUALLY-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y ... I've been "interviewing" for a post-airline job. Hard core .... it even impresses me. :eek::)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Limes ??? LIMES, you say ???? RUN OUT ????? Not on your best day .... :)

No .... ACTUALLY-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y ... I've been "interviewing" for a post-airline job. Hard core .... it even impresses me. :eek::)

Chuck called. Said to let him know if you need a reference/recommendation. :D :D :D

pdx

HSM Pilot
Chuck called. Said to let him know if you need a reference/recommendation. :D :D :D

So Chuck calls you to relay messages to A4s? Now I'm really impressed.

Overall this has been a productive thread. I got a lecture on instrument approaches AND was subjected to outlandish claims.

I'm curious to hear about this post-airline employment, however.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
S.....I'm curious to hear about this post-airline employment, however.
Don't hold your breath ... or your water.

If I get it ... you won't know, 'cause I'm not telling. :)

If I don't get it ... you won't know, 'cause I'm not telling. :)

Call me ... a "consultant".

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Don't hold your breath ... or your water.

If I get it ... you won't know, 'cause I'm not telling. :)

If I don't get it ... you won't know, 'cause I'm not telling. :)

Call me ... a "consultant".

Hmm. A "consultant" in what? Asskickery? Curmudgeonliness 101? :eek: ;) :) :)