• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interested in becoming an officer through OCS

drewtwo99

Hello all, I'm new to the forums here so let me just take a minute to introduce myself and then I'll ask my questions. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out.

My name is Drew, I am currently 24 years old. I am in my 2nd year of teaching high school Physics, and am sincerely interested in joining the Navy (or possibly Air Force) as an Officer, but I would like to get some opinions first. I do enjoy teaching, but I would really love an opportunity to serve my country, and I believe I have the talent and determination necessary to make a good leader and officer.

I didn't go to a prestigious school (Oregon State University), but I did get an Honors Bachelors of Science in Physics, with a 3.49 GPA for undergrad, and I also have my Masters of Science in Science Education (3.9 GPA for grad school). I never failed any courses, and only got a couple C's in undergrad (all A's and only 1 or 2 B's in grad school). I am pretty strong in mathematical/mechanical reasoning, have strong reading comprehension, but I lack a lot of specific knowledge pertaining to the Navy history, important historical figures, etc.

I'm in good physical shape, and have been working out a lot the last year. I am not a great swimmer, so I am still working on that. But as far as the pushups/pullups/running, I think I'll be able to manage passing those benchmarks without much touble. I enjoy physical fitness a lot, recognize its importance, but I never played any sports in high school or college, and I've heard that can be important.

I have a strong moral character and respect authority, work well with others, believe in the country and the armed services, etc. I don't do drugs, rarely drink, don't smoke, etc. Also, I am single, no kids, etc.

Alright, well now that I've given my background, I'd like to ask for your opinions/answers to some questions!

What do you think makes a good candidate for OCS? I know that ultimately the Navy will determine whether or not I am qualified, but I would like to possibly get your opinions to see if I've got what it takes. I know that Officer Recruiters are busy people and won't want to waste their time on someone who isn't worth it, and I would hate to actually get accepted only to find that I don't have what it takes to make it through OCS.

My interests are very broad as far as what type of officer or what field I would go into. Considering my passion for science and math, my physics and teaching background, do you guys have any recommendations on what I should look into, or ask the recruiter about when I meet with them? Aviation has always interested me (I feel as if I would love the opportunity to be a pilot), but I'm not sure if my talents would be best suited for that field.

As I mentioned earlier, I am currently teaching high school, and won't be finished until June. How early should I start talking to a recruiter about becoming an officer? Do I need to wait until I am done teaching, or nearly done teaching? Or should I start talking to one now and just let him know that I won't be able to start service until the end of the school year?

I've been reviewing the process and it looks like I will be taking the ASTB. I have been looking around and found some resources on helping me prepare for this. It seems like the sample math/physics/mechanics questions I've found aren't too bad for me. Do you have any recommendations for studying for this?

I've been spending the last month or so reading as much as I can, soul searching, talking with friends, family members, and coworkers, and I really do think I would like the opportunity to serve in the Navy as a commissioned officer. So I just wanted to thank you all for your time in reading this, and for any information/advice you have to share in relation to my questions or anything else you'd like to add.

Sincerely,

Drew Watson

P.S. A strong motivating factor in my looking into this is to want to do something meaningful, challenging, and rewarding with my life. Is that misguided? I expect a lot from myself and want to do great things, but is this the kind of attitude that I should have going in?

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
+ Rep for making a great first post. I don't understand why some people can't do this. You'll get lots of help here on this forum, so long as you give something to work with.
I know that Officer Recruiters are busy people and won't want to waste their time on someone who isn't worth it, and I would hate to actually get accepted only to find that I don't have what it takes to make it through OCS.
You sound like a motivated feller, so get in that recruiter's hair. Get after it.
It seems like the sample math/physics/mechanics questions I've found aren't too bad for me. Do you have any recommendations for studying for this?
Don't spin your tires. If you're good, press. Pour your focus elsewhere.
A strong motivating factor in my looking into this is to want to do something meaningful, challenging, and rewarding with my life. Is that misguided?
Spot on. Sounds like a great attitude.
I expect a lot from myself and want to do great things, but is this the kind of attitude that I should have going in?
I'd call it precisely the attitude you need. I wasn't an OCS guy (rather prior enlisted STA guy) but you can always spot the locked on dudes, regardless of background. Keep pushin' and get your package together. Good luck!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Well, first I would like to say that is a pretty well written intro. That being said you need to talk to an OR (officer recruiter) now. Don't wait as there is no point. He/she would be happy to answer any questions you have as that is their job. Also, your school is fine. Your grades are great and your degree is competitive for many fields. So as I said before you need to go speak to an OR.

Just so you know my opinion means nothing but I think you have mentioned some things that tells me you would succeed in the Navy if you maintained that attitude. The military requires a special type of person. I don't think enough people realize that the Navy or any other branch is not like your typical job. It often requires long hours, lack of sleep, and highly stressful work days. So if you are willing to go above and beyond then you will be successful. Here are some threads you may be interested in looking at:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/17296-Recruiters
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...g-in-the-military-What-about-living-on-a-boat
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/5620-Flying-for-Navy-Marines-or-Air-Force

As far as jobs are concerned and your background I would have to say you need to look into Nuke and CEC right away. Those will be closest to your field of study and require the most amount of math, science, etc. I would then also look into NA and NFO. They require less math and will not be related to your background as you mentioned.

http://www.navy.com/navy/careers/nuclear-energy/
http://www.usnavyocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7010
https://portal.navfac.navy.mil/portal/page/portal/cec/accessions

Finally you should start studying for the ASTB and working on your motivational statement. Here are some threads about it so just look around and if you have questions feel free to ask but please search the forum first. Also, there are many active/retired officers on this forum so please act accordingly.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...(post-your-scores-amp-ask-your-questions-here!)
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/142053-Motivational-Statement-MEGA-Thread

Hopefully this helps you. Good Luck!

drewtwo99

Thank you very much for the feedback you guys! I greatly appreciate it. Upon your recommendations, I am going to try to contact my local Officer Recruiter tomorrow if I can, and get on the ball with this. I probably can't even imagine how difficult it will all be, OCS, service, etc, but if it means the chance to challenge and better myself, and give back to my country, then I am very sure this will be a decision I won't regret. I am the kind of guy who when I set my heart on something, I achieve it and typically do well, so I believe that this won't be an exception. I also know, however, that I've never really attempted anything this rigorous or challenging in my life so I am a bit nervous. Long nights, hard work, high stress, physical and mental exhaustion... I think it will all be worth it to be able to say that I served my country honorably and dutifully, and did something meaningful with my life.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When dealing with the recruiter make sure he understands you want to be an officer.

Be politely persistent and follow through with whatever he asks you to do, but don't become pestering.

A lot of times you will find yourself doing what the recruiter could possibly do for you, just do it. Keep the end goal foremost in your mind as you put up with any BS along the way.

Lots of good help here, don't be afraid to use the search function and then ask questions.

drewtwo99

Thank you guys once again! I actually went down to my local OR today, and ended up getting in touch with one of the Nuclear Officer recruiters. Met with him and discussed everything, and I'm going to start my application with that soon. If that doesn't work out for me I'll definitely try Aviation (both the recruiter and the NUPOC recruiter said that I could do Aviation if I wanted to with my background and GPA, but do they always say that?). It was a very informative experience, and I am going to start my application as soon as possible (he said he's going to be emailing me the application and such). Just wanted to keep you posted and if I have any other questions or concerns I will come back :) Do you guys have any personal advice on preparing for OCS, military life in general, etc? I know that it will be extremely challenging, exhausting, that I won't be happy all the time doing what I will be doing, but I also expect it to be a rewarding experience that I will be proud of, which I hope is not misguided. Thanks again all for the feedback :)

-Drew

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Nice job man. I too worked for a few years before doing the Navy thing. Don't let them talk you into NUPOC if you want aviation though. Your stats are good. Rock the ASTB and you'll be off in a good direction.

There's tons of good info on what to expect at OCS on this site, as well as the Navy OCS site (as well as my picture haha). Search around and then feel free to ask what isn't already here.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Don't let them talk you into NUPOC if you want aviation though.

I recommended NUPOC to him as well which leads me to believe he looked into because of the website I listed above. The reason I recommended it was because he stated a desire to continue with his Math, Physics, and teaching background. I thought that was by far the best field for him to continue on with if he was going to join the Navy. I also mentioned aviation but NUPOC would be right up his alley if that is his passion.

drewtwo99

Yeah, after doing some research into it, I am really looking at NUPOC as my first option. But if I don't get selected for the interview I am definitely going to try for Aviation :) Thanks all for the kind, encouraging, and motivating advice! It will be an honor to give back to a country that has given so much to so many!