• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

intell and crypto

Status
Not open for further replies.

royjones

Do these officer fields have jobs that do not require a foriegn lanugage? Is a foriegn Lanuage a pre-requisite? What kind of people are they looking for? Is having a diverse porfolio an advantage when applying for these communities?
Roy

twidget

Deskaholic
Roy,

Neither of these fields require any foriegn language. Follow the link below to the Bureau of Naval Personnel (BUPERS) Officer Community Managers website. These guys ensure the "health" of each officer community by bringing in the right mix of officers from civilians, ex-enlisted, and lateral transfers from other communities. From the main page look at the links for each of the communities for which you are interested. Look specifically for OCS and Accession Info. Several of the sites, including Intel and Crypto have detailed info for candidates. This includes job description, and competitive profile for applicants.

I've applied for both of those designators myself. Just waiting many months for word from the board like everyone else.
drool_125.gif
banghead_125.gif
boring_125.gif

http://www.bupers.navy.mil/pers2/pers-21.htm#RL

royjones

Thanks for the feed back! The DOD rep. told me that things did look good for me getting into one of these jobs areas, should i belive him? How long does it take for the selection process for these two communities take?
Roy

twidget

Deskaholic
It is taking at least 4 months, possibly much longer for an answer from Intel from my experience and the posts I've read. Crypto is a little shorter, but still probably a couple months at least.

royjones

Good luck Twiget! Ive been waiting for about two months now. Im trying to stay possitive but it is hard to do. I think im going to retake my test and see if i can be more competitive. But, im cool either way. Im lucky to be here today and if it does not work out im going to just enlist and do 20. Life is great and im going to live it to the fullest, the open ocean and shineing seas this is the dream. How many people in this world can say that they are in the greatest Navy in the world....

psrogers

Intel Officer
Now is a good time to apply for intel. Apparently there was an article in the Wall Street Journal, a news source that is in the know on this type of thing, said that there are not enough intel analysts in the military and that more will be added.
Do your best on the ASTB and practice for a while for the PRT. Obviously if your grades...ah...leave much to be desired, then you might have a tough time being competitive and that cannot easily be changed. But then if you had a tough time writing papers or solving academic problems in college, maybe the gathering, analyzing and packaging of intelligence for the US Navy and its pilots is not the proper career for you. Maybe try taking the AFOQT just before the ASTB to warm you up and break off your jitters, just for drill. It worked for me.
Also, don't get letters of rec from admirals and commanders or such just because of their rank. Get them from people who you are confident that you have impressed- they'll write you much stronger, more detailed letters. The key to a good letter of recommendation is a detailed account of an individuals strongpoints and it is easier for a recommender to do this when they have seen a demonstration of such characteristics, especially if that is all they have seen. I emphasize this because after receiving word back from the board I read two of my letters of rec, one from a prof and the other an employer. They both said positive things about me, but one basically said I was a good guy who did his job and the other outlined my persona in a way that greatly surprised and flattered me, drawing on real stories and instances that I remember. I still have to buy him a beer.

I don't think foreign languages have much to do with intelligence in the Navy.

Carleesimon, I know you sent me an instant message but I have basically spilled my thoughts here. I'll be happy to expand on anything you think I might have knowledge for you or anyone else on, but let me qualify my presumptive attitude with the basis that I am just a a youngun OC.

Oh and it took me from November '03 to July '04, from submission of application to an OCS date.

bbell

Does anyone know the date this article was published in the Wall Street Journal? Also, is there an online link to it?

Thanks,

Brady

twidget

Deskaholic
Roy,

Thanks. Haven't looked at this thread in awhile. I found out I was selected for Crypto with a 17 April class date. It took just over 3 months for an answer.

Good Luck!
Bill

Enrique

Hi

I have a question regarding fields choice.

Can you be a seal, for a several years and then change over to Flying, Is this possible?

Or

Can you be a helo pilot and be a seal later down the round (off course before u are 28) can people do this.

One time I tlak to a pilot and he was trying to do this, I neve knew what happen, butmy question is can this be possible.

Thankyou I hope you can help.

Enrique

Sorry about the spellign guys, I'm in exams this week and I only had 4 hours of sleep last night, because of my math,biology,chem test...

royjones

Twiget that is great news i hope that i get some word soon. I recieved word that my application is in the final process. They told me that they received some rejection letters this week and mine was not one of them. So, my fingers are crossed. Im just wondering is this a good sign? was this the same with you before you got the final word?
Roy

dividebyzero

"I don't think foreign languages have much to do with intelligence in the Navy."

That is probably the biggest understatement related to naval intelligence ever uttered since the Cold War. ;-)

You wanna have mobility and options in naval intel/cryptology? Work on your computer science skills.

royjones

Is having your package at the selection board a really good thing. Why? Crypto says that i have met the boards approval and im at the selection part of the process. Does this mean that some positive word should be coming soon.

twidget

Deskaholic
newthang,

Congrats on making it this far! The professional recommendation is HUGE, though not a guarantee of selection. For me the selection letter came about 3 weeks after I recieved the pro rec. Maybe if you get picked up you'll be in the same class as me, 17 April. I haven't heard from anyone else in the class yet. They try to schedule OCS to coincide with the follow-on training. In this case, I'm hoping I get into the Basic Cryptology course that is scheduled for the Monday after OCS grad.

Good Luck, let me know when you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.