• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel/IW badges?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That story seems contrived to me, although funny.

Brett

If you knew him or even met him, you'd realize that he is so low key that he doesn't contrive stuff like this. He has a very quiet manner and sardonic sense of humor. When interviewed for NASA and they asked what special talent he brought to the program that nobody else had, his answer was "Kill people with a knife". He dosen't tell that story, NASA does. His dad was a Naval Aviator and Grandfather was a WWI aviator and he's into aircraft as well. Owns a beautiful Great Lakes Biplane. Great American.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you knew him or even met him, you'd realize that he is so low key that he doesn't contrive stuff like this. He has a very quiet manner and sardonic sense of humor. When interviewed for NASA and they asked what special talent he brought to the program that nobody else had, his answer was "Kill people with a knife". He dosen't tell that story, NASA does. His dad was a Naval Aviator and Grandfather was a WWI aviator and he's into aircraft as well. Owns a beautiful Great Lakes Biplane. Great American.

So how did a SEAL actually get into the astronaut corps anyways? Did he just stare the interviewer down? ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So how did a SEAL actually get into the astronaut corps anyways? Did he just stare the interviewer down? ;)

Well, having an Aerospace Engineering degree out of USNA and then a MS in mechanical engineering and the degree of Ocean Engineer from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) helped him when applying like anyone else. He is nothing short of brilliant and before retiring, he went back to SPECWAR community working for then Rear Admiral Olson who was SPECWARCOM at the time. No wonder the SPECWAR Mission Support Center (MSC) created at Coronado as part of NSWG-1 is patterned on NASA Mission Control.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Well, having an Aerospace Engineering degree out of USNA and then a MS in mechanical engineering and the degree of Ocean Engineer from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) helped him when applying like anyone else. He is nothing short of brilliant....

Details, details....he can still kill you with a knife :icon_tong

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Details, details....he can still kill you with a knife :icon_tong
Well, who better to be the 1st ISS commander... The crew photo w/ the trident in the middle lends a subtle, "No, really. The first one of you who gets out of line won't hear it coming."

iss01-s-002.jpg

xmid

pilot
Contributor
They look like they are going to a sci-fi convention in that pic...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'm not saying he made it up, but someone else may have. It just sounds too much like a canned joke someone tells at a speaking engagement.

Brett

MrSaturn

Contributor
It's a warfare pin first of all. If you are a Cryppie and go PCS afloat you can now get a SWO pin. That speaks more than any pin they would come up with.

Good to know. I know IP guys were required to get it a SWO pin but I didnt think I had the ability to also... too bad I want to go on a sub.

MrSaturn

Contributor
You could potentially do DIRSUP on a sub and go PCS afloat later. Can be difficult to work since the DIRSUP can take care of your sea milestone for O-1 to O-3 depending on how much you go out. Just depends on how many billets are available at that point.

I dont think I would have time to do both and then get the JOCCP program.

But its something to ask around the community while im at Corry Station.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Owww, that hurts....

As someone who is 4.1 hrs away from my 200 in the Prowler, I won't disagree too much, other than to maybe suggest a rephrasing: "I wouldn't put any stock in anyone just because the have an NAO...". Me, I'm freakin' Google (from a stock perspective, that is). :icon_tong

Normally, I'd take this to PM (secret Spy world and all) but how did you work the NAO thing? Maybe other people can learn some tricks. Curious, since it requires you to be in a flight status. Not AT ALL trying to ping you, just genuinely wondering.

MrSaturn

Contributor
It depends on where you went. It is mostly an either or situation. Better to stay operational than do JOCCP

Agreed but it sounds like JOCCP allows training while operational.

"The Junior Officer Cryptologic Career Program (JOCCP), developed in 1971 at NSA, provides junior officers (02-04) with an extensive three-year career development program in cryptology. JOCCP participants may serve in as many as six Agency work centers, including mandatory assignments in the areas of analysis/reporting, collection management and ELINT/EW. Concurrent with these operational assignments, JOCCP officers complete nearly 1000 hours of formal instruction at the National Cryptologic School and other agencies in the Washington, DC area."

See how I can get confused :D

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Agreed but it sounds like JOCCP allows training while operational.

"The Junior Officer Cryptologic Career Program (JOCCP), developed in 1971 at NSA, provides junior officers (02-04) with an extensive three-year career development program in cryptology. JOCCP participants may serve in as many as six Agency work centers, including mandatory assignments in the areas of analysis/reporting, collection management and ELINT/EW. Concurrent with these operational assignments, JOCCP officers complete nearly 1000 hours of formal instruction at the National Cryptologic School and other agencies in the Washington, DC area."

See how I can get confused :D

Yes, but what NSA considers operational may not be the same thing the Navy considers operational.