• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

intel and languages

chellorraine

Wife of Intel Applicant - Waiting...
Oh, thanks for the explanation...must have misunderstood your previous post. :)

And no, I'm not applying for Intel, but my husband is. We're getting ready to resubmit his application. Good luck with your ap!

:D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
steve23 said:
Dumb question: So does this mean SWO is not a job that people want to have? I thought learning about navigation and driving a big-a$$ ship might be pretty cool.

Being a SWO is generally considered harder "work" on a daily basis. Actually driving the ship may be very cool. I have a friend that recently retired as an O-6. He was a NFO and did many rewarding things in the Navy. He was the XO of a CV and commanded a large deep draft logistics ship. He said driving a ship was the coolest thing he did in the Navy. Of courdse, being the skipper always helps. ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
Actually,...you need to chill,those previous posts were meant as a joke.

Actually, some guys on this site are serious about those types of comments. In any case, you should attend A4's school of smileys so as to not be misread.

The rest of you last post I would agree with and find the more useful response for wannabes.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
Someone asked earlier about language proficiency exams... I am interested in that as well, is there anyone here on AW that knows anything about them?
Thanks/Phil

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Zaab might. He has been to DLI for an overseas assignment. PM him.

NavyOne

The language proficiency exam is called the DLAB. From the enlisted side they track you into a lang by your score. Around 110 (a very good score) they put you into a cat 4 lang, mostly either Korean or Arabic these days. The DLAB is an odd test though, glad I only had to take it once. . .

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Language proficiency pay is only available to people who are in a billet requiring that skill, last I heard. It also isn't a lot of cash. 75-125 bucks a month, although that is being evaluated right now. Beer money regardless.

If you are in one of these billets, and you already speak the required language, you can test out of going to the Defense Language Institute. This kind of thing is arranged by your detailer.

If you don't already speak the language, you have to take the Defense Language Aptitude Battery. This test is designed to rank your ability to learn a new language. It is not a test for any specific language. It's extremely bizarre, but passable. I had a raging hangover and I still got in.

NavyOne

Foreign Language Pay, called FLiP, is currently at 100-200$ a month. If you are a 3/3 linguist, that is your skills are high in reading and listening you get 200 bucks.

Donald Rumsfield and the DOD just released the Defense Language Transformation Roadmap several months ago (Jan 2005) which talked about foreign languages as a potential necessity for officers. There also has been talk of a 1000$ a month bonus for 3/3 linguists. As well as the need to raise everyone to this level. Google it if you are interested

I have been very close (I am a CTI off to OCS soon), but getting a 3/3 means serious dedication.

And it is possible to get paid a max of 300$ if you speak two foreign languages that the Navy deems important to the mission. I have only seen 2 sailors get paid for this, one a Senior Chief stationed in Algeria who was paid for French and Arabic. She said it was next to impossible for me to get paid for my French when I pointed out that I had passed the DLPT in it. The second sailor was TCS, one of 17 in his field he told me, so they are in a whole 'nother world than the normal CTI.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did a little research. Turns out there are two FLPP categories, FLPP I and FLPP II.

FLPP I is a "career linguist", i.e. enlisted CTI. rates go from 100 to 300 bucks.

FLPP II is "others" (like me, man, I always fall into that "others" category...) 50-100 bucks.

Odds are, if you are a URL officer, and you get language training, you'll be a FLPP II. Not trying to be a broken record, but you guys need to understand, you have to be in a billet that requires use of a foreign language. Granted, if you're a Corpus or Kingsville bubba, maybe you could argue the necessity of being bilingual...I keed...

For reference, in my class of 18, no one scored a 3/3/3 (reading, listening, speaking). I pulled a 2 speaking, 2+listening, and 3 reading. Bottom line for me, extra 75 bucks a month. I'm required to requal once a year.

more info: http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,30983,00.html

NavyOne

Very interesting link, good info. I had no idea there are categories in FLPP.
I would be curious to know whether Crypto Officers fall in the FLPP I or FLPP II category.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
Here's another question: How does one go about scheduling a DLPT? Any info/input on this would be helpful...
I'm in A-Pool right now, with a lot of time on my hands, so I figure I may as well go for it.
Thanks.

NavyOne

It depends where you are stationed.
For me, I just take them on base after
scheduling them at the language office.
Ask a CTI or PM me if you need phone numbers.

bbell

Eric,

Are you an IW Officer? I ask because I just received my Pro-Rec for IW and I have a few questions for you.

Thanks.

NavyOne

No, I am a CTI2 (enlisted linguist) who is heading to OCS to become an IWO.
Congrats on the Pre-Rec.
I do have a couple of friends/mentors here on base that
are more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.
What I have noticed is that very few people I ask have concrete
answers about IW. (yet. . .) But, I only have access to Crypto officers, so
I may be getting only half the story.