• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Think of liberty as neither here nor there. Some classes get it and some classes don't. This, they will say, has everything to do with how well your class does but the simple fact of the matter is that your DI will determine that and some give it and some never do until you're a stinking Candi-O. Of course, with some DI's...ask and ye' shall receive...or just get told "NO STUPID! Get on your face for asking such a stupid F#@$% question!!"

Amen, are you in my class? :D

Ah, can't wait to report back. 3 weeks!

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Just watch out for that toilet cleaner, it left bleach marks all over my sweats. When your girl comes to see you graduate, sleeping under the sheets will be the last thing on your mind...
i put my girl up in a hotel and thats where i slept the last night of OCS :)

i'd say the vast majority of our class did the same thing, that p-way was rather empty the last night.

spartan785

My .02 about OCS...Never ever go to Fast Nets while in Newport or any other festival/annual event that might be going on in town (before, during, and maybe even after OCS). Once you are able to get off the island go as fast as you can, Boston is fun, pricey, but fun and no one, but your buddies know who you are, which is great.

Off of Liberty...cottage cheese makes a great salad dressing and you will think that it is the greatest thing that man has created and you will be pissed when they run out (if your DI gives it to you). Somebody is always watching you, and not just during normal working hours. If you have a question before you ask anyone else look in the OCR and never believe rumors (cause in a-pool or somewhere else you will learn to never trust rumors, especially from ENS).

And finally this mindset got me through, this sucks right now, but it will eventually end.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Off of Liberty...cottage cheese makes a great salad dressing and you will think that it is the greatest thing that man has created and you will be pissed when they run out (if your DI gives it to you). Somebody is always watching you, and not just during normal working hours. If you have a question before you ask anyone else look in the OCR and never believe rumors (cause in a-pool or somewhere else you will learn to never trust rumors, especially from ENS).
We weren't allowed to take any dairy from the salad bar.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
We weren't allowed to take any dairy from the salad bar.

Nor were we. We waited until candio phase to be open to the wonderful world of dairy products and, oh my God, salad dressing! :D

When I get back to Newport tomorrow I'm going to drink a cup of coffee. My head might very well just explode.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
I'm not in your class but I am biding my time before my return in a few days and I know you guys didn't get anything until Change of Command. I'm predicting that my class might be similar except our CoC isn't until the end of our freakin' 11th week as are many since classes are starting one week apart.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
I'm not in your class but I am biding my time before my return in a few days and I know you guys didn't get anything until Change of Command. I'm predicting that my class might be similar except our CoC isn't until the end of our freakin' 11th week as are many since classes are starting one week apart.

Let me guess....Bat II?

gslefo

So, how prepared should I be?...

First, hi all. I'm new here and this is my first post.

I just wanted to know, how good of shape should I be for OCS?

I went into the Army Reserve after high school, and back then I was 5"10" 200lbs. By the time I was done, however, I was 155 lbs and could run a mile in just under 6 minutes.

Fast forward to post college graduation. I'm 25 and back to 200lbs.

So, what's an average PT day like when you start? What does PT turn into towards the end of OCS?

I know I've got the mentality and I don't smoke. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
It is difficult. Almost everything is aerobic, even the "strength" days. On top of that, some of the exercises are designed to build up as much lactic acid in your muscles as possible, and are used as "punishment" of sorts.

Add lack of sleep and lack of food and it is a very difficult time, especially the first 4 weeks. The first week is the worst because you are not used to the amount of PT that the DIs will give you, and they will PT you every time they see you, for the most part. On top of that, the first week is full of evolutions that are meant to test your physical and mental fortitude. From the first day you meet your DI to the Saturday that closes out the first week, you will be hurting.

Best advice I can give is to get a good aerobic base going and learn how to PT and SCREAM while you are out of breath and out of strength.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Best advice I can give is to get a good aerobic base going and learn how to PT and SCREAM while you are out of breath and out of strength.

good advice.

and get run times down because you'll be running quite a bit.

loudness is basically anti-DI if that makes any sense. the louder you are the more they *generally* leave you alone and head off to the next guy who isn't opening his mouth. being able to be loud while totally out of breath will be a benefit until everyone is about on the same loudness level after 2-3 weeks.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Hold the down position of a pushup for 30 seconds, then up for 3 seconds for about 5 minutes straight. Lay on your back with legs extended and hold your feet 6 inches off the ground for 30 seconds, then up to 90 degrees for 30 seconds for about 5 minutes straight. That should get you started.

I just wanted to know, how good of shape should I be for OCS?
The best you can possibly be in. There is no max, so you might as well train as hard as possible.

red_ryder

None
Don't try to "simulate" anything...you won't be ready. Just make sure you can do the PFT well. Half the fun is in the surprises! And I'm not being facetious either--seriously, you'll be fine.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Bah, OCS is easy. Why even prep at all?

Seriously, PT as much as you can, stop 1 week before to rest your body up.